BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Your thoughts on IQ?

Okay, this is tending towards some shaky ground, but I'm interested to hear what this particular demographic has to say. I've had the discussion while working construction, with fellow students, on pre-law discussion boards, current event discussion boards, etc, etc, and the one commonality that remains, despite views on the subject varying INCREDIBLY from not only person to person, but group to group, is that the discussion is almost always interesting.

Now, whether or not they've gone through a single day of college or are working on Ph.D.'s, AR no doubt has some intelligent members. In fact, a great majority of the regular posters strike me as intelligent. However, the one thing that WITHOUT FAIL ruins these discussions is mentioning actual IQ's and turning it into a pissing contest, i.e., "Well I have a 155 IQ, so there" or, "my IQ may only be a 95, but I make about $250,000, so all you mensa clowns see what IQ gets you". I'm sure you get the point.

So, numbers aside and sticking to the generals, what do fellow AR posters have to say about IQ? Is it valid? Does knowing what your IQ is necessarily set you up for problems in that you'll either always feel you haven't lived up to expectations or that you must constantly prove you can rise above them? What issues arise and can arise when a number that can be so arbitrary in many ways (i'm revealing my views by saying this) carries such weight in the society? Of course, any and all views welcome that go beyond the scope of my questions...i'm just hoping to start an interesting conversation amongst members.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    well, i took an IQ test when I was in the 4th grade. I had some issues so the school board psych set me up. The point is that they said (I was older and asked) that is was bad for the student if he/she knew the IQ as they knew how bad/good they were relative to peers.

As for the numbers themselves, those who really want to prove how good they are will study and take the test and do good. For those of us who really don't care, we won't.

These tests are meant for stuff like I took it for, to gauge mental performance for a reason not to see how good you are.

MDMA is offline Banned
    I think there are too many variables to determining a legit level of intelligence in anyone.

An IQ is just that, a Intelligence Quote. As your age, motivation, education, maturity, even physical state change, so does your Quote. I believe the actual test has a lot to do with how you score as well.

Example:

When I was in 6th grade, I took an IQ test and scored very high. High enough to raise a couple eyebrows in the local school board actually. A few years down the road I took another IQ test, and the score came out like I took the test upsidedown.

So does that mean Im dumber now than I was then? Hell no. A few very important variables changed, my age and motivation to score high. No longer were my academics or scoring high in ANY test important to me, and my score reflected that, and not my actual IQ.

So my take on IQ's is that they are generally worthless.

mammoth is offline Member
    If you have ever taken an IQ test you will notice that the tests aren't like normal tests. Intelligence Quotients are a measurement of many different aspects of intelligence and not just one single thing. How well one can dissiminate information, and how well one can use deductive reasoning are just a couple of examples of what an IQ represents.

I can remember in school, this one girl who was #1 in our class, and she also had the highest GPA in our class as well. She graduated with governers honors, and went on to an ivy league college. She did have a high IQ. The one thing that stuck out with her was that she carried the reputation for being one of the dumbest human beings you ever met. She had an incredible ability to retain information, but there was one thing that she lacked above all.....Common Sense.

One thing that IQ does NOT measure is common sense. Some of the smartest people that I have met in this world have also been some of the most moronic people I have ever met. Idiot savants are a prime example of what I am talking about.

Me, I would personally take a hit to my IQ in exchange for having just plain old common sense.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have a very large penis.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I personally think IQ's are more of a personall achievement. they are not used in the job market or practical living. But smarter people have higher IQ's, it's not a theory. Smarts/Intellegence is the capacity and ability a person has for learning. If you look at the major entrepreneurs, Presidents, CEO's they have above average IQ's. Bill Gates-154, Clinton-in the 140's, Einstein-140's. I bet their are a lot of people with above average IQ's that didn't do shit with their life from lack of ambition, or careless attitudes or a number of factors. And I bet their are many with below average numbers that have made great contributions and done amazing things from other qualities they possesed besides an advantaged learning capacity.

I've taken 6 IQ tests in a study over different variables that can lead to poor or excellent results. Variables ranging from sleep deprivation to empty stomach test taking to combonation of both, to tests taken on narcotics.

My best result came from a full stomach and full nights sleep. Now thats not suprising at all. But My range in points only varied 6.
    The point I'm getting at is that if a person applies themselves on the actuall test no matter at what age(tests are created to test the mind at a certain age) they will come up with an accurate "quote" that should be consistant through their life.

Now Every one has limits to learning no matter what the IQ number is. Whether it's a skill or a subject. The mind is stimulated through interest, not through an Intelligence quote, other wise IQ's would be a must on a resume.

I think that a person limits themselves. Above or below average IQ only matters if you let it. Other than that, if you have a commendable score than be proud of yourself. If not, shrug it off and know that in the real world, it won't make much difference. People can usually judge a persons intelligence by the choices that person makes in real life situations.

Pheedno, great post, but I gotta wonder about the CLinton and Einstein numbers...to the degree I did my best to look it up. What info I found pegged Einstein as "only" in the 160's, with Clinton at a 182!

Here is the info:

http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-80790/

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

I realize the full integrity of these sources may be questionable, but the very existence of these discrepancies, i believe, is amazingly emblematic of just how deeply entrenched is the mythology surrounding IQ in our culture.

B.G., It is very possible I have my numbers mixed. I was remembering off of a list of about 100 people that was issued last year(sometime in Sept).
    It had every one from Brooke Shields(who suprisingly is a Menza member) to Sharon Stone, Clinton, Gates, Woods, Spears, and the list goes on.

I do find it hard to believe Clinton to posses an IQ that high but who knows, he is a smart, devious, genius.

This has peaked my interest in searching for some actuall numbers on this now.

mammoth is offline Member
    I think that this society should be measured not on IQ but on penis size! 8==========================D

I've personally never met Clinton, but one of the kids i know at school has, and he shared a sentiment that it seems MANY who speak with him take away: that he could apparently talk intelligently (even expertly) about literally ANYTHING. My bud's entire academic career has more or less been dedicated to understanding one single author (every elective, independent study, 'free-choice paper) and as such he probably knows more about this one author than most of his profs...whose entire careers exist to know this stuff. Yet, when he met Clinton, he said that for the first time in a long time, he met someone who could speak of that author in a light no one had been able to that he had yet come across. I'd write it off to coincidence, except for the fact that he has apparently done this with everything from max efficiency of crop rotations to the synthesis of 18th century german architecture and philosophy.

Of course, it's entirely possible he just has the secret service investigate these guys then flies in some expert to debrief him.

Additionally, I am a firm believer that a sky-high IQ alone is literally nothing without creativity, freedom of thought, and scores of other intangibles that render IQ similar to the world's most efficient steroid ...while necessary to reach the upper echelons it will, by itself, do very little to get you there. So Clinton's IQ may be through the roof, higher than Einstein's, in fact, but i believe Einstein possessed a creativity and intellectual freedom allowing him to fully utilize that IQ that clinton does not or did not.

I did find a site with some numbers on different people.

I really don't think a definate answer on these individuals can ever be found. Which actually tells us that if IQ was so important in practical living, it's probable that these intelligently thought of peoples IQ's would be publically known.

Anyhoo, heres the link
    http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite...ce/default.asp

Originally posted by BigGreen

Additionally, I am a firm believer that a sky-high IQ alone is literally nothing without creativity, freedom of thought, and scores of other intangibles that render IQ similar to the world's most efficient steroid...while necessary to reach the upper echelons it will, by itself, do very little to get you there. So Clinton's IQ may be through the roof, higher than Einstein's, in fact, but i believe Einstein possessed a creativity and intellectual freedom allowing him to fully utilize that IQ that clinton does not or did not.

That couldn't be stated better.
    Excellent point
    Last edited by Pheedno; 01-17-2003 at 01:29 PM.

Originally posted by Pheedno
    I do find it hard to believe Clinton to posses an IQ that high but who knows, he is a smart, devious, genius.
    Well, I guess it pretty well proves that IQ really doesn't mean all that much when it comes to evaluating a person. You can also look at some of the craziest criminals out there... many have IQ's thru the roof...

I like my personal IQ scale when evaluating someone...

Dumber than a block of tofu
    Has the IQ of a donut hole
    A little slow
    Yeah, he's ok
    Not too shabby buddy!
    Shit man, you're smart!
    Jesus H! You make prof. Hawkins look like a retard!
    Duuuh duuuh! you too smart for me! *drool*

Red

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Rickson
    I have a very large penis.
    and thats all that counts. He who has the most sugar-mamas makes the most money.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I think IQ only test the logical part of your brain. I have a 145 IQ (tested 2 years ago) and I still can't spell or write a well writen sentance. IQ is not a test of total intelligence, but only a part.

Pain

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Well fuck. Do I fuckin have a low fuckin IQ if I fuckin say fuck just about every other fuckin word?

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    I scored a 180. Lucky me

Thread Information