Madmax is offline Senior Member

Anyone Who's a Firefighter on this board, or knows a firefighter....

i was wondering if anyone on ths board knows of any fire houses that are hiring, or if anyone has a friend whos a firefighter that they know can help me find a job...i live in missouri but want to move very soon....any info is appreciated...feel free to pm..thanks....Madmax....

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Hey I know a firefighter...hey wait..I am a firefighter I wish you were looking for employment in the Ontario area I wouldn't have a problem helping you out, you are a solid bro! But what I can help you with I think we already discussed is preparing you for the apptitude test, physical and interviews. Let me know if you start applying and I will send you the info I have. It applies to both Canada and the US.

FireFighter is offline Associate Member
    He's a liar Madmax... he doesn't know what hes talking about. :P

Originally posted by FireFighter
    He's a liar Madmax... he doesn't know what hes talking about. :P
    Bitch!

Hurry up and move into the "HOPE" buddy, we'll play some Playstation 2 and go to premier! haha. I'll show you where all the hot bitches hang... haha farmer al's daughter!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Hey whats up max, I have a couple of buddy's I can check with if you don't mind the hell of humidity in Houston.

I shoot you a PM once I talk to them.

chinups Guest
    New Jersey is giving the test and the paperwork needs to be in April 30th. But you need to establish residency by the 30th.

Got Gear? is offline Member
    I have a good friend who's been trying to become a firefighter for a while now.

He's having a heck of a time. He managed to pass all of his tests, including the physical ones. But the fact that he's like 5'7" at 150lbs makes it hard. At an interview, they'll almost always shoose the 6' 200lb guy.

nunizzle is offline New Member
    I hate to jump in on this thread, but i am at a point in my life where i am trying to figure out what i wanna do with myself and am debating being a firefighter. my question to all you firefighters on here is how did you get to where you are today? i am going to go look at a 2 year tech school that offers fire science, protection and investigation...is that a good way to become a firefighter? any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Anyone Who's a Firefighter on this board, or knows a firefighter....

Originally posted by Madmax
    i was wondering if anyone on ths board knows of any fire houses that are hiring, or if anyone has a friend whos a firefighter that they know can help me find a job...i live in missouri but want to move very soon....any info is appreciated...feel free to pm..thanks....Madmax....
    Hey Max, if you have already decided on where your moving to you can call the Civil Service Departments of the surrounding cities and ask when they will be giving their next test. You can also find alot of info on-line and apply over the net. Many of the larger cities and departmnets have websites that tell you everything you need to know to get started. Good luck.

Originally posted by nunizzle
    I hate to jump in on this thread, but i am at a point in my life where i am trying to figure out what i wanna do with myself and am debating being a firefighter. my question to all you firefighters on here is how did you get to where you are today? i am going to go look at a 2 year tech school that offers fire science, protection and investigation...is that a good way to become a firefighter? any help would be greatly appreciated
    In order to be hired with a department most cities give Civil Service tests, usually every two years, and hire off that list when a spot(s) is open. Any extra training/certifications that you have will benefit you when you take these tests. They will count as 'bonus points' toward your final grade. If you do well enough on the written exam you will be required to take a physical agility test(PAT). My was very similiar to the Firefighter Combat Challenge. After that, many depts. do backround checks., psych. exams, etc. as part of their screening process. Next you will probally be called in for some interviews, at least twice. I initiated it on my own and paid for most of my schooling. After I got hired, my deparment required me to be a paramedic as well as being a firefighter. My dept paid for my medic school and paid me to GO to school. Its a great career and I wouldn't give it up for the world. I encourage ANYBODY who has ANY interest in it. If you have any questions feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck.

Originally posted by Got Gear?
    But the fact that he's like 5'7" at 150lbs makes it hard. At an interview, they'll almost always shoose the 6' 200lb guy.
    Not trying to shoot your bro down..but to be quite honest with you...the fire department isn't just looking for the big bodybuilding type. With the things that we are involved in such as confined space rescue, high angle rescue and so on...the big guy isn't always the best for the job. I got hired in a class of 31 guys 1 girl. The girl was bigger then at least 10 of the guys. The smallest guy I would pin him at around 5'4" 130lbs tops. He is doing a great job. Usually when people pass the appitude and phycial test it is what they say in the interview which makes or breaks them. Maybe his resume is lacking it what they are looking for.

If he needs help tell him to PM me about some of the questions that he was asked and I will try my best to show him how to answer them. Remember you have to answer these questions so that the firedepartment gets the answer they are looking for and so does the human resource department. They are looking for key words and phrases and you have to nail what they are looking for or you are out!

haha shredz is just saying that cuz hes alittle bitch! hehe..

Naw man like he said its all equal rights man, they're trying to get in alot of different people man. Women are being hired more and more everyday. It helps to have size, but they're not looking for just some big meat head, it has alot to do with how you deal with people and if you can do the job.

Sshredz:

I'm sure he'll get there...

And I know they're not JUST looking for the bodybuilder type.

I think you're probably from a larger city. I live in a somewhat smaller town, often referred to as the "Hawai of Canada". It's a very desirable location to live in. When a firefighting position comes open, there's always at least 30 people interviewed, and at least 1/2 of these guys are already working for a different dept up north or something.

So his only real chance is to apply for these backwater places that have openings. But these types of places are mostly looking for the bigger guys.. They only have a crew of like 8 people and don't need a "little guy" enough to hire him over another large guy.

His last interview was in a small Northern town with a pop of under 10,000 and there were still 11 people interviewed. Only 4 made the final cut, and he was 1 of them. But lost out to a bigger guy.

Thats the thing with firefighting, its really hard to get on.. Im sure if hes willing to relocate, he won't have a problem, but thats his choice.. If hes from BC he should be doing some forest firefighting. That experience would help him out!

I totally agree with shredz and FF. Departments look at other such things rather than just being braun. Why else would they give tests and conduct interviews? As long as you pass the PAT your hired, right? WRONG! My written exam constituted 70% of my final grade. Alot comes from the tests and interviews. The hiring committee get ideas on how you would react in certain situations, interpersonal skills and attitude. Thats like the final step in getting hiring. How you conduct yourself is extremely important. You could get 100% on the written, had the best time on the PAT, but if your a frickin' douche bag, your done!

roch is offline Member
    if your looking to get hired then you can look in arizona. they have lots of departments out here that are always looking for firefighters. you can get a certificate at your local community college to get the job, then you can finish up the 2 year courses at the college if you want to advance in your career. you only need emt certification to start. another place in zona thats always hiring is the reservation fire departments. many bros start out there then get onto a city or town dept. you get good pay out here and you only work 3 or 4 days a week. cost of living is cheap and its close to mexico. good luck bro.

Originally posted by 01dragonslayer
    I totally agree with shredz and FF. Departments look at other such things rather than just being braun. Why else would they give tests and conduct interviews? As long as you pass the PAT your hired, right? WRONG! My written exam constituted 70% of my final grade. Alot comes from the tests and interviews. The hiring committee get ideas on how you would react in certain situations, interpersonal skills and attitude. Thats like the final step in getting hiring. How you conduct yourself is extremely important. You could get 100% on the written, had the best time on the PAT, but if your a frickin' douche bag, your done!
    Very true.. his problem is that he's amoungst 10 other guys who also did well on their tests. Cept they weigh in at 50lbs heavier.

RATM is offline Senior Member
    I have been a firefighter in the South FLorida area for 8 years and this is one of the premier locations for employment right now. Many departments are actively looking for qualified applicants such as Orange and Osceola counties near Orlando, Several Departments in Palm beach County and also Fort Lauderedale. I would be happy to help with any questions that you may have.

Thread Information