gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Do you like Tool? Then you'll love Soen...

Check em out - awesome band, only 1 album to their name so far. VERY Tool inspired, but IMO not copycats. Opeth's ex-drummer Martin Lopez (one of my favs) shines in this band, really gets to do some cool stuff he couldn't do with Opeth. However, I DO miss him in Opeth!!

Recommended tracks, all available on Youtube:

Fraccions
    Delenda
    Canvas
    Savia

I'm telling you, if you like Tool, you MUST check these guys out!

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm a massive TOOL fan. Ill check this out!!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    As am I.
    Thanks G ..I'll be checking these guys out!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    As am I.
    Thanks G ..I'll be checking these guys out!
    Please do guys, I'm loving this album for the most part (a few slower/softer tracks, but that's cool too) and can't WAIT for the next one! I rarely buy new music because I can't find anything that turns me on these days, but this was a rare exception.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Same here i play tool as I lift everyday.. esp bench day.. BIG FAN

Ill check em out!!

distrubed, all that remains, chevelle, five finger death punch,nonpoint,sevendust,slipknot, three days grace, theory of a deadman... ALL of em... my fav

OOO TRY TRIVIUM!!!!!! trivium a new fav...
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 02-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Please do guys, I'm loving this album for the most part (a few slower/softer tracks, but that's cool too) and can't WAIT for the next one! I rarely buy new music because I can't find anything that turns me on these days, but this was a rare exception.
    We talking on par with the Lateralus Album? Thats a tall order IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    We talking on par with the Lateralus Album? Thats a tall order IMO!
    lol... let's just bear in mind that TOOL was an extremely inn0vative band with this sound, and these guys are simply paying homage and/or expanding on that sound... so I would be hesitant to compare them. However as a musician, I would say that these guys are a bit more technical and possibly more melodic than Tool, but Tool definitely has better grooves. Some of the groove feeling gets lost with this band due to being too technical at times. Very ironic, given the fact that Martin Lopez is about the grooviest metal drummer (I hesitate to even label him as that) I've ever heard... he was a HUGE part in Opeth's very unique sound.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I like this band.

Quote Originally Posted by gdevine
    Meh, never was a fan. I'm more of a fan of prog rock/metal moreso than that boring (IMO) late 90's / early 2000's rock.

My taste for music runs the gambit from indie bands like "Band of Horses" to "Bob Mould" to "Chevelle" to "New Order" to "Social Distortion" to...you get my point...I like it all.

Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    Huge Tool fan, I'm all over this!!!

optionsdude is offline Member
    I love Tool ill check 'em out. Besides Martin being a big part of Opeths sound Steve Wilson from the Porcupine Tree was their producer, and I love the Porcupine Tree.

greenwell001 is offline Member
    Good lookin out gbrice.

Quote Originally Posted by gdevine
    My taste for music runs the gambit from indie bands like "Band of Horses" to "Bob Mould" to "Chevelle" to "New Order" to "Social Distortion" to...you get my point...I like it all.
    Gotcha GD. I'm a fan of many styles and genres as well. I'm just a music guy at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by optionsdude
    I love Tool ill check 'em out. Besides Martin being a big part of Opeths sound Steve Wilson from the Porcupine Tree was their producer, and I love the Porcupine Tree.
    Yep! Steve Wilson is a genius, as much a producer as a musician. The difference in the production quality of Blackwater Park vs. earlier Opeth stuff is unmistakeable. Wilson even has a brief singing 'cameo' on BWP!

So.... did anybody check out Soen? What do you think?

Gotcha GD. I'm a fan of many styles and genres as well. I'm just a music guy at heart!

Yep! Steve Wilson is a genius, as much a producer as a musician. The difference in the production quality of Blackwater Park vs. earlier Opeth stuff is unmistakeable. Wilson even has a brief singing 'cameo' on BWP!
    Steve Wilson did the mixing for the Heritage album too. Akerfeldt does the producing now though.

And yeah, I like Soen enough to download their album.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Steve Wilson did the mixing for the Heritage album too. Akerfeldt does the producing now though.

And yeah, I like Soen enough to download their album.
    Cheers bro!

I'm assuming you're an Opeth fan since you know things about them (correct me if i'm wrong) - if so, what do you think about their direction since Lopez left? Watershed was pretty heavy, sort of typical Opeth minus the drums being much less groovy, but how about Heritage? Completely different Opeth sound, and not just because of the clean vox. They've gone full prog now... they remind me of early Yes or King Crimson... very cool stuff. I think they did everything they could with the style they were playing for so many years. My favorite album by far is Ghost Reveries. Amazing work IMO.

Ok, now I've managed to hijack my own thread! :

Cheers bro!

I'm assuming you're an Opeth fan since you know things about them (correct me if i'm wrong) - if so, what do you think about their direction since Lopez left? Watershed was pretty heavy, sort of typical Opeth minus the drums being much less groovy, but how about Heritage? Completely different Opeth sound, and not just because of the clean vox. They've gone full prog now... they remind me of early Yes or King Crimson... very cool stuff. I think they did everything they could with the style they were playing for so many years. My favorite album by far is Ghost Reveries. Amazing work IMO.

Ok, now I've managed to hijack my own thread! :

I'm a pretty big Opeth fan. I like Axenrot on drums though, but yeah they're missing something without Lopez. They've been moving more towards this direction since Blackwater Park and Deliverance. I would make the comparison to Camel more than Yes though.

My problem with their last two albums is they're starting to become kind of formulaic in their prog sound.

My favourite Opeth albums though are Damnation, Still Life and Morningrise.

I'm a pretty big Opeth fan. I like Axenrot on drums though, but yeah they're missing something without Lopez. They've been moving more towards this direction since Blackwater Park and Deliverance. I would make the comparison to Camel more than Yes though.

My problem with their last two albums is they're starting to become kind of formulaic in their prog sound.

My favourite Opeth albums though are Damnation, Still Life and Morningrise.
    While I like their sound with Lopez better (I feel his unique style as a 'metal' drummer really had a lot to do with their style and sound), I'm not one of those Axe haters - he's a helluva proficient drummer, much more technical than Lopez (try to listen to just the drum track on The Lotus Eater -amazing stuff), but IMO lacks that groove, tastefulness, and feeling that makes Lopez the drummer he is.

Wow, Camel - a somewhat obscure early prog band - but i'm familiar with em'. Yes, I can definitely see the comparison.

Damnation is an amazing album and stands on it's own. Other than that, it sounds like you're more a fan of their earlier Black metal-ish sound? Although Still Life doesn't really fit that classification and is a great album in it's own right.

While I like their sound with Lopez better (I feel his unique style as a 'metal' drummer really had a lot to do with their style and sound), I'm not one of those Axe haters - he's a helluva proficient drummer, much more technical than Lopez (try to listen to just the drum track on The Lotus Eater -amazing stuff), but IMO lacks that groove, tastefulness, and feeling that makes Lopez the drummer he is.

Wow, Camel - a somewhat obscure early prog band - but i'm familiar with em'. Yes, I can definitely see the comparison.

Damnation is an amazing album and stands on it's own. Other than that, it sounds like you're more a fan of their earlier Black metal-ish sound? Although Still Life doesn't really fit that classification and is a great album in it's own right.
    I wouldn't really consider early opeth black metal, but yeah. What I liked about them was they were more about song writing then than they are now. That's not to say I don't like their newer direction. But yeah, I agree with you that Axe doesn't have the grove that Lopez has.

If you want to hear something funny listen to the Benighted then listen to Camel's "Never Let Go" song. You'll really see that comparison hahaha

I wouldn't really consider early opeth black metal, but yeah.
    Tis' why I called it 'black metal-ish', lol! Definitely not straight black metal, but the influence was there, which later gave way to more of a death metal direction, specifically with regard to vocals.

What I liked about them was they were more about song writing then than they are now. That's not to say I don't like their newer direction. But yeah, I agree with you that Axe doesn't have the grove that Lopez has.

If you want to hear something funny listen to the Benighted then listen to Camel's "Never Let Go" song. You'll really see that comparison hahaha
    lol awesome, i'm gonna do that right now!

Wow - I didn't even have to listen more than 10 secs... very very similar intro lol!

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Check out

Deftones Tempest or Youve seen the butcher

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Yeah boy I'm a big Tool fan myself...

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    lmao

classic!

Bahahahah!!! So obvious, it's almost cheesy - but I got a laugh out of it nonetheless.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Bahahahah!!! So obvious, it's almost cheesy - but I got a laugh out of it nonetheless.
    They know me so well....Bhahahahahhaa But some times it's just to hard not to respond anyways...

They know me so well....Bhahahahahhaa But some times it's just too hard not to pounce on
    ^^ fixed

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Tool is awesome... for some reason Sober isnt on iTunes, had to DL a cover, checking out this new band as i speak

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    checking out this new band as i speak
    For the love of God... PLEASE give me some feedback when you're through. All the 'tool lovers' never came back to comment. Maybe they hated the band, idk lol

ElDude is offline Associate Member
    Huge Tool fan, definitely digging the sound of Soen. I like pretty much like all kinds of music with the exception of rap and country. Will definitely listen to this while lifting. But my favorite to listen to while lifting is some Pantera and Lamb of God!

Quote Originally Posted by ElDude View Post
    Huge Tool fan, definitely digging the sound of Soen. I like pretty much like all kinds of music with the exception of rap and country. Will definitely listen to this while lifting. But my favorite to listen to while lifting is some Pantera and Lamb of God!
    Pantera is awesome, shit-kicking music! I used to listen to LoG quite a bit but kind of got burned out on their sound... kind of the same thing over and over for me, but talented nonetheless. As I Lay Dying is another one similar in sound to LoG who I enjoyed.

I am REALLY hoping Soen puts out a new album sooner rather than later. I know they seem to mirror Tool quite a bit; hopefully they'll break that mold where time between releasing albums is concerned!

To make it easier for the lazy and gimpy:

Fraccions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuG1MkwXUY0

Delenda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXukV0v2ck

Last Light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKlgmYmdp8 (really cool atmospheric song, amazing Latinesque percussion ala Martin Lopez)

Canvas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJm5J4ZBt4

Savia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iCL92wSMQ

I like Soen. They're better players than Tool, but the songs were kind of lacking in comparison to Tool.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    For the love of God... PLEASE give me some feedback when you're through. All the 'tool lovers' never came back to comment. Maybe they hated the band, idk lol
    I do hear a lot of Tool there... even the artwork is same theme... but they have a good sound... they need to be less preachy

I like Soen. They're better players than Tool, but the songs were kind of lacking in comparison to Tool.
    I tend to agree. I think they're more melodic and musically proficient than tool, but due to the complexity of some of their stuff, they lose the groove that Tool has. Very ironic, considering Martin Lopez is probably the grooviest metal drummer I can think of!

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    I do hear a lot of Tool there... even the artwork is same theme... but they have a good sound... they need to be less preachy
    Pretty sure the artwork is done by the same dude who does Tool's work. Less preachy, lol! You know these pretentious prog guys...

Thread Information