Fooboy is offline Associate Member

swimming before or after

is it ok to swim after a workout. im not sure if my assumptions are correct. i would imagine that since my body is moving and building heat in the water, i wouldn't cool of so fast...but at the same time, water is cold. QUESTION @ HAND: should i swim before or after a workout or should i just save it for a weekend cardio thing?
    thnx

foobs

BDTR is offline Retired
    Look at swimming the same you'd look at a treadmill or glider/biker. It's cardio work, do you normally do cardio post workout? Are you bulking or cutting? Maintaining? It all depends on your goals.

mostly maintaining with a little bit of emphasis on bulking up a little bit. the thing is that i have heart issues and the doc told me to incorporate some cardio (such as swimming) into my weekly routine. He also told me not to work TOO hard at the gym. should i "quack" on him, or succumb to his advice?

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, just MY opinion, I would swim AFTER my workout for Aesthetic reasons. The Chlorine generally helps clear up acne on my body well and there's nothing that feels better after a gruelling workout then to swim in a cold pool. Not only that, it's a great cool down for your whole body. It's also good for your skin. Besides all that, what practical sense would it make to go swimming, take a shower, work-out and then shower again?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I'd look at swimming above any treadmill / glider / bike - those take a toll on your heart and mostly your legs. Swimmimg is a total body workout that will kill you. Either do it after you lift, or split it entirely up from your weight training session.

From my experience my arms were too damn tired to do anything after swimming. Body was too tired to do any legs either.

yeah, i assumed it was impractical to swim before a workout. besides, i don't wanna walk around dripping wet and freezing.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooboy
    yeah, i assumed it was impractical to swim before a workout. besides, i don't wanna walk around dripping wet and freezing.
    Yhea, all of the people, whom I know at the gym I work at usually swim after the workout bro. Like someone mentioned earlier, if you truly swim for cardio its very, very, fatigueing. Plus, it helps your body to cool off and is very relaxing.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're doing it for cardio, it's tiring at first, but eventually you get used to it and you can just go. A girl i swam with in high school just did the long island sound in july. It's somthing like 36 miles... she's amazing. But.. a typical guy can build up to like 2000 yards in a few weeks. assuming he knows how to swim to begin with.

stupid question...how long is a length in a standard gym pool. Im not sure if it's olympic or junior olympic... i think it's junior.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    25 yards isn't it ? a full lap is 50 yards.

Kid Shred is offline Member
    I was a competeive swimmer from a fetus all the way through college, once I jumped into the bodybuilding circuit I now only swim 'bout 3 times a week after my back, shoulder, and leg workouts.'bout 20 minutes or 500 yards. After Back and/or Shoulders I'll throw on some hand paddles, tie up my feet and throw a buoy between my legs and just pull , and after legs I'll get a Kickboard and fins and just glide it out.When trying to condition it's the best cardio for me. Olympic pools are 50 meter in length but most pools set the lane markers horizontaly to get more lanes and are usually 25 yards or Meters. In high school they use yards. .02

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to swim EVERY day. Literally even when there were little chunks of ice the pool from left over snow. I would throw on my full wet suit and go in. If you swim properly, it is more than just cardio. Try doing 25 laps of butterflies. You wont be able to move for awhile.
    But swim afterwards, that way you can go in the spa after that and relax your muscles.

Thread Information