Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i have a colt 45auto.it is fun the rounds cost a bit but its a good gun... if you want a cheap hand gun get a 22 lol its like a bbgun but fun as hell

redrock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    I've been thinking about the same thing redrock...my stepdad was really into guns and had some really nice ones, but wasn't alive long enough to really teach me about them...but this thread is interesting to me...'cause i've been wondering the same thing

not to totally hijack, but how do you go about taking classes etc on gun handling (i've never been taught)??
    Depending on where you live. All you need to do is pass a test on handgun safety.
    I'm sure the salesman at wherever you are buying it from could show you the quick
    in's and out's of the gun. Just get some brochures or a book on gun safety. It's all basic common sense. Like don't look down the barrel. RR

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    Depending on where you live. All you need to do is pass a test on handgun safety.
    I'm sure the salesman at wherever you are buying it from could show you the quick
    in's and out's of the gun. Just get some brochures or a book on gun safety. It's all basic common sense. Like don't look down the barrel. RR
    you'd think it'd be common sense...but you know there's a million idiots out there that wouldn't think of these things...survival of the fittest at it's finest, right??

are you leaning toward any specific gun at this point??
    my stepdad had a 9mm luger that he loved...i think my mom kept it, so i may get it from her once I've learned a little bit more...but, even though mass recommended it earlier, i've heard things about lugers being dangerous, jamming or something...maybe i'm off...

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I'm with bdtr and a couple of the other bros. Glock, in my opinion, provides the most gun for the $$. There are several different styles you can get, ranging from the regular service issue (model 17, 19, 22, 31) to smaller sizes that are better for concealment. Plus you can readily find a shitload of accessories for Glocks (holsters, grips, sights, etc.).

Mainly depends on what you are going to use it for and how much you are going to shoot it. If just carrying concealed and won't be shooting thousands of rounds through it each month, I like the G27 and G33 size. If you have big ol banana hands like bdtr, this won't feel good shooting. For me though, it fits concealed nicely and I don't shoot it much, so I like the size. There are medium sizes to choose from also that may be a good middle ground - models G19, G23, G32.

Next thing you will have to decide is the caliber. 9mm is a popular caliber and inexpensive to shoot, but kind of old school. 40 cal is the most popular nowadays and provides a little more punch and is still pretty inexpensive to shoot. This is what the majority (in my area) of the law enforcement carry.

The one caliber I do like all the stats on is the .357 sig. It has great knockdown and doesn't kick any worse than the 40, but is a little more expensive to shoot. I know some of the law enforcement agencies are switching over to the sig, so it should be around for quite a while and get less expensive to shoot. The guns themselves are all priced very close, regardless the caliber.

I would probably go with the 40 if I was you. Great all around gun. If you have any questions, I'm pretty sure between all of the bros on the board you will be able to get answers.

Hope this helps. Happy shooting!

peace,

ttgb

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    i love my sig p226.. .357 sig rounds. If i had to describe the firing action... it'd be smooth and effortless. Makes an awesome sound too... cross between a "pop" and a "crack"
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 11-21-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cb25

are you leaning toward any specific gun at this point??
    I think after reading all the responses i'll either get a .40 or a .45. I'm not sure which brand but the Glock has gotten a lot of good feedback. So I might have to check out the Glock 22. I still want to look at the Kimber and Springfield 1911's. Thanks for all the reponses guys. RR

I think after reading all the responses i'll either get a .40 or a .45. I'm not sure which brand but the Glock has gotten a lot of good feedback. So I might have to check out the Glock 22. I still want to look at the Kimber and Springfield 1911's. Thanks for all the reponses guys. RR
    Personal experiences with the Kimber have always been very good also. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I know all of the guns mentioned on here are good, I just shared the ones that I have knowledge on.

peace,

ttgb

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    All i ask is that you test fire a sig. That's all. I want you to share in my joy.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    My first handgun was a .22 browning targeting pistol, limited edition. Small, but nice.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I hate guns, I think they are a terrible thing, and I'm kinda happy they are illegal in Canada, HOWEVER, I would say go with the Desert Eagle, cuz it just looks kickass (the silver kind, with a nice handle), maybe ivory handle. Yeah I know I'm sometimes a hypocrit

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big daddy k de
    i have a colt 45auto.it is fun the rounds cost a bit but its a good gun... if you want a cheap hand gun get a 22 lol its like a bbgun but fun as hell
    My .22 cost me $600.00

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    All i ask is that you test fire a sig. That's all. I want you to share in my joy.
    I will for sure. It's on my list with the Glock 22, and the assortment of different 1911's. Thanks, RR

slamd097 is offline Banned
    you might look into a ruger if money is a concern, great gun for a decent price.

Memphis is offline New Member
    trust me.......Berretta 92F or Kimber 45 (any model Kimber is bad ass).

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    bro it really doesnt matter wich one you get out of the sig and a glock both are great guns. I would go with either the glock 23 or 27.......Glock 36 is also a good choice .45cal(compact) very thin........Also the Sig Pro229 is an awesome gun.

here is a pic of my sig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's a good first handgun???-sigp229.jpg  

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Dunno much about handguns . . . when I was training police dogs in the military they issued me a Smith & Wesson 38. Never cared much for it. What seemed to make a stronger impression on troublemakers on base were the dogs . . .
    Had some guys show up at the main gate on base making a lot of trouble, the gate guard called for assistance. First MP showed up, told 'em to straighten up or else, and they just cackled, "Or else what? Are you gonna shoot us?" A minute later my bud showed up with his german shepherd, told 'em to simmer down, and the dog snarled at 'em a few times, and they were as polite as kids at grandma's turkey dinner.

Given a choice, I'd take a trained dog over a handgun.

AnabolicSwede is offline New Member
    lol.. being a swede an all this shit sounds unreal..

wiky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    What do you need a hand gun for? You Americans...
    bump, you only need guns to protect yourself ... against guns

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicSwede
    lol.. being a swede an all this shit sounds unreal..
    for me too

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    What are you going to use it for? Target, concealed, home defense? If your going for protection go with a .45 cal. More knock down. Asking what is a good gun to buy is like asking what kind of car should I get. I used to be a marksmanship instructor so PM me and I can give you more advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Given a choice, I'd take a trained dog over a handgun.

I have shot hundreds of coyotes (dogs). Gun seemed to be more powerful than a dog. So given a choice I take the gun. Besides, my guns never shit in the floor either.

peace,

ttgb

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    I hate guns, I think they are a terrible thing, and I'm kinda happy they are illegal in Canada, HOWEVER, I would say go with the Desert Eagle, cuz it just looks kickass (the silver kind, with a nice handle), maybe ivory handle. Yeah I know I'm sometimes a hypocrit
    Firearms are not illegal in Canada, they are restricted.

Things to consider:

1) ease of operation
    2) cheap, readily available ammunition
    3) low maintenance, as few moving parts as possible
    4) is it for practice, conceal and carry, etc
    5) availability of accessories
    6) practice, practice, practice, no point in carrying a tool you don't know how to skillfully use

Btdr is on the money when he says guns are for killing people, that is their ONLY modern use. Hunting doesn't count, it's a hobbyist simulation of 'old school' living. This however, doesn't make them good or bad...guns are inanimate objects. An external force needs to act on them in order for them to do something. Food for thought for any firearm haters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    ... This however, doesn't make them good or bad...guns are inanimate objects. An external force needs to act on them in order for them to do something. Food for thought for any firearm haters out there.
    im still chewing it, but i cant swallow. Of course guns dont kill ppl by themselves, but there too more posibilities of someone been killed by gun than by ... a dog bite, thats why its easier to own a dog than a gun (at least here in spain). In that way, if you want to own a dangerous dog (i do) you have to pass psycho exams and get chipped your dog, you need a hard exam if you want to drive your car and when you buy some poison for rats it says: keep away from children.

i dont agree at all with Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine", but some parts of the film say trues. This is not a personal reply, just agree-disagree guns discussion.

Into the thread: Beretta 9mm parabellum, light power but cheap (69 euro) and nice aiming and perforating.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:25 PM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiky
    im still chewing it, but i cant swallow. Of course guns dont kill ppl by themselves, but there too more posibilities of someone been killed by gun than by ... a dog bite, thats why its easier to own a dog than a gun (at least here in spain). In that way, if you want to own a dangerous dog (i do) you have to pass psycho exams and get chipped your dog, you need a hard exam if you want to drive your car and when you buy some poison for rats it says: keep away from children.
    I wish bums had to take an exam to own pit bulls and rotties in Canada. Too many bums own 4 legged killing machines cause they are easy to obtain. At least when someone kills another person with a gun they are held accountable, when a rotweiler tears apart a small child they put the dog down and the owner says "sorry I can't believe Sparky did that he was such a nice dog...". Sorry about my rant. I love animals but bums should not be allowed to own certain dogs.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I wish bums had to take an exam to own pit bulls and rotties in Canada. Too many bums own 4 legged killing machines cause they are easy to obtain. At least when someone kills another person with a gun they are held accountable, when a rotweiler tears apart a small child they put the dog down and the owner says "sorry I can't believe Sparky did that he was such a nice dog...". Sorry about my rant. I love animals but bums should not be allowed to own certain dogs.
    This is true all over the earth! Here in Italy, Pits are catching on as all little Italians want to copy MTV because they see MC Burnt Biscuit with a pit bulls in videos. Lots of attacks recently, and quickly folks are in an uproar about these types of animals, the need for them and the reasons they are were bred into existence. The parliment has introduced legislation to ban what they are calling "Unnatural breeds of canines,that are sired for malicious intent" spoecifically Rots and Pit Bulls. i do not know its status, enforcability or if it is right or wrong, but I can see the logic..and a need to control such animals. far too often these animals kill and maim, and the owners suffer little or zero reprecussions.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    But back to guns..get a .45...

CBR9Seadoo is offline New Member
    Actually the Springfield Armory 1911 caught my eye. What calibur are your glocks?
    Are they only 9mm? Thanks for the help. RR
    Redrock, I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Long Slide in a .45. It is an awsome gun. I wouldn't pay the prices unless u are into collecting them. I am sitting with 20+ handguns at the moment. I have a Glock in .45 w/compensator, it shoots great and is lightweight. In Jan I picked up one of Springfield Armory's XD series in a .40 cal. same construction as a Glock, only $150 cheaper. I also read a comparison between the Glock and SA XD in Guns and Ammo. They were neck and neck. They both shoot the same to me. SA XD comes in 9mm, .40 and .45. Good choices. I also have several 9mms. What is the primary purpose for the gun. I just buy them to have them, for the most part. Except I did rig up my new S&W .44mag 8" barrel for deer hunting this year. I haven't had one in range yet to try it. It is fun walking out to the range with a suite case and unloading several thousand rounds.

Well, I ended up getttinng a Beretta 96 .40. The price was good. It felt great in my hands. It's easy to take apart for cleaning purposes. I'll let you guys know how is shoots as soon as i get it. Thanks for all the help. RR

great choice! Sounds like you made the right decision since it felt good to you. I really like the .40 cal also. Let us know how well it shoots.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    1. Hand guns are not illegal in Canada. They are heavily controlled. Before you go to the shooting range you have to inform the police of when you're going, the route you're taking, and when you will be returning. You are not allowed to stop anywhere between your house and the gun range.

2. We have so many juiced up strong people on this board...why do they need guns to protect themselves from a 130 pound cracked out thief. Grab the punk and beat the f u c k i n g crap out of him.

I find it funny how scared and paranoid people are. What are you afraid of? You spend more time worrying about something that's never going to happen. Don't live your life in fear.

Check out Bowling for Columbine.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Good choice bro I have a Cougar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information