Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member

Is 3* too old to get back in to boxing?

I boxed in prison, nothing serious just to get a little rep and and stay in shape because the weight room was only a once a week thing due to overcrowding.

OK I am interested in getting back in to it. However the few trainers I have talked to, one was in Ali's corner and the other was in Joe Fraziers, both said those 20yo's would make you regret getting in the ring. Not those exact words but that was the message I got.

Now I feel like I can kick anyones ass but is that just a feeling, should I take their advice with a grain of salt or very seriously?.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    I say go for it. Boxing is about the heart and the mind. As long as the talent is there.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Depends on what level you plan on fighting, and at what weight. If your a heavy weight age is not as important I feel. Its really very hard to nail it down here to be honest. Starting at your age your not going to make a living from boxing. If its intensity which concerns you, consider kickboxing!. You don't HAVE to fight full contact, light/continous is great and affords more protection from the ref.
    Fighting at light/continous isn't as intensive as full contact however the pre fight conditioning is just as tough if your going to be competative. Have you considered this?. Another consideration, at your age you might be somewhat competative in regional fights/contests but you'll most likely always be a journey man, take alot of punishment and get nothing for it in the end.

I just liked the one on one competition, does something for the ego and confidence, hard to explain but if you boxed toy know what I am talking about. I don't care if I make a dollar, I just don't want to hurt myself, not knowing my limitations. I think I am gonna go hang around one of the training gyms and fool around and take it from there. I think the trainers I asked assumed I wanted to get in to the ring with Klitchgo and Byrd, I just wanna have some fun. I would be heavy weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Depends on what level you plan on fighting, and at what weight. If your a heavy weight age is not as important I feel. Its really very hard to nail it down here to be honest. Starting at your age your not going to make a living from boxing. If its intensity which concerns you, consider kickboxing!. You don't HAVE to fight full contact, light/continous is great and affords more protection from the ref.
    Fighting at light/continous isn't as intensive as full contact however the pre fight conditioning is just as tough if your going to be competative. Have you considered this?. Another consideration, at your age you might be somewhat competative in regional fights/contests but you'll most likely always be a journey man, take alot of punishment and get nothing for it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    I just liked the one on one competition, does something for the ego and confidence, hard to explain but if you boxed toy know what I am talking about.
    lol, I've boxed since I was knee high to a grass hoper. I coach and fight kickboxing now.

Here's me and my kid..

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    man if you think you still got the heart and talent, then i say go show them what you're made of

Try posting that photo again..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is 3* too old to get back in to boxing?-clipboardelim.jpg  

Thats awesome, if I ever have a daughter she will learn martial arts at 1 month old. lol. Thats cool as hell bro.

Thanks, the kid in grey is my daughter. But she doesn't fight, its just her and me messing around. The other two is my son. He won the junior nationals last October and is travelling to the European and world championships this summer. He's moving into Judo soon with the view to doing some MMA when he's older.

Here's another photo I love. I don't know if anyone else can pick up the look on his face, but I can he's just won a major comp here and his little face is beaming.. This was just before a semi-contact points fight, a style he hates, he lost this fight but came off the mat laughing. He was still over the moon after winning his other fight/title..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is 3* too old to get back in to boxing?-akai-open-12thoct.03a.jpg  

HAHA, thats the best. I dont know how it is over there but here in the states with all the violence I think it is good when kids have a place to learn positive aggresion release.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    go for it bro, its better to start now than never. keep us posted

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    boxed in prison?

if i were you i'd get into MMA or kickboxing

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    boxed in prison?

if i were you i'd get into MMA or kickboxing
    Why is there a connection between prison & martial arts?.

Quake is offline Member
    There is in A.W.O.L!

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    i made the assumption that he scrapped alot in prison,

sorry if i was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Bouncer
    i made the assumption that he scrapped alot in prison,

sorry if i was wrong
    No they offered boxing, basketball, just some things to keep people from scrapping alot. Prison isn't like Oz on HBO.

pal
    pal is offline Junior Member
    lol.. oz.. haha.. so its not like that? I take it theres not alot of fighting and stuff that goes on in prison then? But yea man, definatley go for it.. boxing is awesome and just have fun!

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Its never too late for boxing man, i am not saying boxing is easy, but the physical requirements and mental requirements can be achieved at any age (over 45 might start to give you trouble). It depends on the state you are in, some states stop you from competing at 36! so check your state rules and train hard man.

Slick Arrado is offline Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    I boxed in prison, nothing serious just to get a little rep and and stay in shape because the weight room was only a once a week thing due to overcrowding.

OK I am interested in getting back in to it. However the few trainers I have talked to, one was in Ali's corner and the other was in Joe Fraziers, both said those 20yo's would make you regret getting in the ring. Not those exact words but that was the message I got.

Now I feel like I can kick anyones ass but is that just a feeling, should I take their advice with a grain of salt or very seriously?.

Amateur or pro?

zap2 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    Amateur or pro?
    I'm not sure but i don't think in prison there is ameteur and pro...

And ya man definetly start up boxing i really wish i had started earlier im already 15 and a half and i just started a couple months ago (boxing is closed for summer tho) if i had of started earlier i would probably be a more confident kid... I think one of the best things a parents can do is get there kids into self-defence sports. Im not saying every kid should learn to go out and kick someones ass but if you know how to fight you will go threw school alot easier.

zap2 is offline Junior Member
    I meant to comment on BOUNCER training his kids in kickboxing at the end of my last post... Good job man

Slick Arrado is offline Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zap2
    I'm not sure but i don't think in prison there is ameteur and pro...

And ya man definetly start up boxing i really wish i had started earlier im already 15 and a half and i just started a couple months ago (boxing is closed for summer tho) if i had of started earlier i would probably be a more confident kid... I think one of the best things a parents can do is get there kids into self-defence sports. Im not saying every kid should learn to go out and kick someones ass but if you know how to fight you will go threw school alot easier.

Umm, okay. I was asking if he wanted to start back up as an amateur or a pro.

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    bro u dont have to compete to box... not unless your looking for a title.. at your age your not gonna be finding any titles. like any fighting style, its a lifestyle. i'd personally say go for it, great people, awesome workouts and u can spar if u feel like getting into the ring, no need to compete

Thread Information