Papi93 is offline AR VET

Armbars - Need help

We practiced a rear naked choke, kneeling arm bar, and a cross arm breaker in class, yesterday. I not sure if those are the proper terms but it's the best I could think of. I'm solid with the strikes but struggle more with submissions. Could someone give me some tips on executing these submissions. Thanks for your patience!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Come on now! I've already had members tell me that they love choking people out or getting them to tap; so, why no responses? My member name is striker, not tap-out.
    Last edited by striker93; 08-26-2005 at 09:18 PM.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    For the rear naked chokes and guillotines I always lock in the choking arm with the other arm either by holding my hands together, or locking my wrist of the choking arm into where my bicept meets my forearm.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    For the rear naked chokes and guillotines I always lock in the choking arm with the other arm either by holding my hands together, or locking my wrist of the choking arm into where my bicept meets my forearm.
    With these chokes, you want to get the radius bone (when hand is supinated - outer forearm bone) of the forearm across the Adam's Apple, right?

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    You should ideally have your bicept touching the opponents neck and the inner forearm bone touching the other side and crank down. With a rear naked choke, they usually know they are vulnerable and tuck down so you really arent able to aim for the adams apple for say, usualy just gotta jam it in there; but if you get it, its over.

BigRandy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Come on now! I've already had members tell me that they love choking people out or getting them to tap; so, why no responses?
    hey bro, i think the reason you arent getting alot of responses (although this is a boxing/fighting section) is because this is a bodybuilding/fitness board. ive noticed you ask a lot of ?s about spinning head wheel kicks roundhouse kicks and id say most of the ppl on this board dont do martial arts. i think youd get more feedback on sherdog forums. again dont take that the wrong way just my opinion

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRandy
    hey bro, i think the reason you arent getting alot of responses (although this is a boxing/fighting section) is because this is a bodybuilding/fitness board. ive noticed you ask a lot of ?s about spinning head wheel kicks roundhouse kicks and id say most of the ppl on this board dont do martial arts. i think youd get more feedback on sherdog forums. again dont take that the wrong way just my opinion
    Thanks for the suggestion! I did not know that sherdog had a member forum. I'll check it out.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet

Thanks for the suggestion! I did not know that sherdog had a member forum. I'll check it out.

Put on your flame retardant coat before asking newbie questions there!.

crag is offline New Member
    Try the Australian MMA forum as well. www.infinitemma.com- smaller very freindly.

As to submissions, the first part is getting 'control' of the opponent. In other words got him trapped in such a way, the submission can be applied without error. This control is the trickiest bit. It is all about having your weight and body just where it needs to be to keep him trapped or moving they way you want. Same as getting the feel for standing on a surfboard, or roller blades the first time, or riding a bike.

Just keep trying and it will click with you and then the actual technique of the submission will start working for you.
    At first nothing works well since the experts you roll with have all the 'anti-control' moves working against you.

However you work hard for about 6 weeks, then some brand new guy turns up to train, and you will find you are handling him like a ragdoll.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Thanks for the excellent links!

Will_1 is offline Associate Member
    Take a look at subfigter.com as well as sherdog.net. One reason there isnt a lot of responses is that its a lot easier to demonstrate in person than to try and explain in writing.

AMERBOY is offline New Member
    go to sherdog.com then go to links now go to the underground forum.any question about fighting or jiu jitsu post it and you will get tons of replies.the underground will help.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    We practiced a rear naked choke, kneeling arm bar, and a cross arm breaker in class, yesterday. I not sure if those are the proper terms but it's the best I could think of. I'm solid with the strikes but struggle more with submissions. Could someone give me some tips on executing these submissions. Thanks for your patience!
    lol, for armbars you gotta practice the setup

god i hate typing techical shit out

ON TOP: when in the full mount cover his mouth as to stop breathing, automatically he will try to "benchpress" you off, place your left hand firmly around the wrist of his left hand (which should be the attempted to "benchpress" you off), place your right hand on his right pectoral, prop yourself up slightly and gracefully rotate your hips into the armbar position, remember to keep your knees together and force his wrist to be straight (so as to prevent him performs the bas rutten escape)

I can't stress this enough, get used to rotating the body to complete the arm bar, seriously, practice is 50x every training session.

- remember DONT STAND UP, think of yourself as a breakdancer for the rotation

I'll let someone else take you through how to do it on the bottom in the full guard

remember Grace !

Good Luck!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    You gave an excellent description! When bridging the hips for the submission, do you have to have their elbow positioned in the middle or slightly off to the side? I remember my instructor mentioning something to this effect.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    You gave an excellent description! When bridging the hips for the submission, do you have to have their elbow positioned in the middle or slightly off to the side? I remember my instructor mentioning something to this effect.
    keep your left elbow (which is grabbing the wrist) comfortably tight to the body, your right elbow should be over his relatively over his sternem

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    To complete the armbar submission the trap arms thumb has to be up...

Quote Originally Posted by Div1Wrestler
    To complete the armbar submission the trap arms thumb has to be up...
    ie. the little finger has to be down and in line with the elbow.

Thread Information