Thread: Punching Bag

se11 is offline Associate Member

Punching Bag

What is punching a punching bag good for beside better punch form and accuracy? is it a form of cardio? can it build and/or shape muscle?

Pumpinstein is offline New Member
    I have heard it's good cardio if you stay on it long enough. Don't think it'll have much benefit for building muscle though.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Accuracy has little to do with it. The heavy bag developes power, endurance and technique, BUT although the bag is a superb cardio workout in its self it should be used in conjunction with a good cardio routine (perferably jogging), focus pads and sparring. All together they'll help delevope the mential tenacity needed by a successfull fighter.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Accuracy has little to do with it. The heavy bag developes power, endurance and technique, BUT although the bag is a superb cardio workout in its self it should be used in conjunction with a good cardio routine (perferably jogging), focus pads and sparring. All together they'll help delevope the mential tenacity needed by a successfull fighter.
    Spoken like a true boxing coach...

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    agree with bouncer

Aku
    Aku is offline Junior Member
    Bump to what Bouncer had said....

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    I just want to add that if you are a kickboxer, the thai pads are what is most necessary to bring you to peak levels of fitness.

mountain man is offline New Member
    The heavy bag has many advantages it isn't really used for accuracy. That is what the hand pads are for. The heavy bag is for endurance and more importantly conditioning of the hands, wrist and solidity of punches. yes it strengthens punches, shoulders etc. When I trained we actually had a heavy bag filled with sand!! You wren't suppose to hit it that hard but it made your fists,knuckles and writs/shins solid steel. You avoid sprains etc. Most of all Heavy bags are were you develop, only way to develop, knock out punches. Hand pads are for agility, speed and rythym.

MM

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I use the heavy bag strictly for developing striking power. If you're looking for a cardio. bag workout, check out Bas Rutten's Thai Boxing Workout on the bag. The bag doesn't move like a good feeder with thai pads. If you're looking for accuracy get a good feeder. Shadow thai boxing would be an excellent drill for form.

catlovesfood is offline Associate Member
    I got the same bag at home, I practice all the time and make the house shake!!

Thread Information