QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member

Lightbulb anyone have any experience in HAPKIDO ?

hey guys ... a buddy of mine has gone to school for hapkido .. has anyone else taken or heard of this art ?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I train at Tae Kwon Do studio that throws a little Hapkido in from time to time. You really need to be able to practice it consistently in order for it to be effective. It's more for self-defense situations. For example, it'll cover techniques when someone grabs your wrist, shirt, etc. As I said before, these need to be repeated until they are burned into your memory. When the situation happens, you need to be able to react without hesitating. The other day we did cover a rear naked choke, kneeling arm bar, and a cross-arm breaker. That was pretty cool!

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I took it for a couple of years, along with Tae Kwon Do. Hapkido as stated above requires an insane amount of practice but there are so many cool arm brakes, wrist breaks and locks. Throw's too.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    We covered foot sweeps in TKD/Hapkido class. I'm not sure how good my technique was. I defeated my opponent, IMO, due to my strength and weight advantage. It will be interesting to see how it goes against an opponent with equal strength and weight.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    my buddy in college is a black belt in hapkido (4yrs training)

on the ground, with less than a year of bjj, i can dominate him. have never gone standup striking. he told me he felt that 25% of hapkido was groundwork.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    btw..he loves it still though. he agrees it may not be the most effective off the bat, but overall fitness and agility is definatly increased.

lots of wrist locks too

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I think you need to practive the art that you love, damn a buddy of mine is hooked on Shotokan karate and has he says does intense kata sessions of 2 hours, i would rather be hit by a Sears truck then practive kata but whatever.

I would never go back to tkd, it was cool but i really want to have some hand techics, and tkd is 95% kicks.

Thread Information