Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    immy is offline Associate Member
    hey don't knock sam bowie he was a kentucky boy, and any body that comes out of UK is the shizz.

=Aboot]Kwame Brown - not finished yet. One year removed from Jordan is not enough. Give him one more year, then we'll talk.

As for the rest of the list, most of the guys on there accomplished a lot, but then declined rapidly, not really a disappointment. Plus their mostly from the late 90's. Get some history brother. Sam Bowie ring a bell?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Jason Williams (white chocolate)
    Harold Miner
    JR Rider
    Marcus Camby
    Kerry Kittles
    Grant Hill
    Antoine Walker
    Dekembe Mutumbo
    Eric Montross
    once again don't knock kentucky boys, walker is good just a bite on the stricky side

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    sam bowie ......biggest disappointment ever.......portland has the chance to pick jordan, "nah, we'll take sam bowie, he's tall!!!"....imagine jordan and drexler on the same team!!! houston was gonna pick hakeem no matter what..

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    How can a dream teamer be over hyped? Ewing of all people. One of the 50 greatest NBA players in the last decade is over hyped? He would have won a title and maybe multiples had he not been in the league with Jordan. Keep in mind he did lead the Knicks over the Bulls in '95. I saw a couple names that are legitimately over rated. Ed Obannon is a definent. Yinke Dare is another. Sam Bowie may be the biggest disappointment in recent memory. Jaque Vaughn received a large amount of hype coming out of Kansas and has yet to contribute. Tyson Chandler has been a huge bust for Chicago being that they gave up Brand to get him. Although it has only been one year it is hard to say that Darco Milic was not a disaster. Selecting Darco before Melo was ridiculous at this stage in the game.

Above mentioned names who had/have credible careers that many in the NBA would love to have:
    Shawn Kemp (how can you forget the dominant days of the Rain Man. plus he was a dream teamer)
    Vin Baker (was an allstar selection multiple times and dream teamer in '00)
    Penny Hardaway (had tremendous success early in his career and has since become a solid role player. has averaged double figures for a decade)
    Grant Hill (you must of forgot that he did nearly match the Big O's numbers before injury. He was a dream teamer in '96)
    Antoine Walker (are you serious the guy averages nearly 20ppg and was arguably better than Paul Pierce before going to the talent filled Mav's)
    Dikembe Mutumbo (one of the most dominant defensive players of all time. A 4-time defensive player of the year nonetheless, plus he averages a double double still)
    Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, Corey Maggette and Grant Hill (all have experienced success coming from Duke)
    Scottie Pippen (had a great years in 94-95 without Jordan plus averaged double figures in Portland besides he was a late round steal in the 87 draft)
    Derrick Coleman (albeit he was a first pick he still has averaged over 16ppg for the past 12+ years)
    now this guy knows what he is talking about all those guys at one time were great players, they can't be great forever

AustrianOAK14 is offline Senior Member
    sam bowe in 1984 picked first in front of mj

yeah bowie was a disappointment but what can you say

dwight howard doesnt impress me from the magic thsi years # 1

Harvey Balboner is offline Retired Moderator
    shawn bradley, he was a number 2 pick over penny hardaway, jamal mashburn, and alan houston.

penny hardaway was good

JMLH is offline New Member
    If they were a disappointment or not, they still made a hell of alot of money to play a game, so they get some props...

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken_Daddy
    stacey "the plastic man" augmon, worst player in NBA history to have a nickname.
    Tom Gugliotta
    Harold Minor
    that dude from Pheonix, i think Richard Dumars was his name?
    richard freaking dumas.

that was the dude right there...until he got all coked out and kicked out of the league.

he was my favorite player (been a phx fan all my life)...was such a huuuuuge disappointment to me. rumor has it he was working at a car wash in phoenix now.

richard freaking dumas, man. richard freaking dumas.

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    2004 LA Lakers

THE best repsonse I have ever read.

yeah thats a good one but admit karl and gary are old as time

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Balboner
    shawn bradley, he was a number 2 pick over penny hardaway, jamal mashburn, and alan houston.
    I was getting a bit pissed that no one mentioend him. I remember being a kid (junior high maybe?) when he was drafted and the word was that while he wasn't the best player in the draft at the present time, he would be in four years. Over and over again it was said that once he put some weight on him, treated basketball as a profession and had some real coaching that he would not only be a dominant player, but become THE prototype for the bigman of the new millenium. The way he developed was supposed to change the game.

Now that is overrated and hype to the extreme - being billed as someone who is destined to change the position and shape the evolution of the game and then failing, to the best of my knowledge, to so much as put up a top ten season at his position.

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    Piculin Ortiz

Quote Originally Posted by clampitt
    being a Sonics fan, it hurts me to see 2 former sonics.

although, shawn "reign man" kemp is the MAN! he played awesome for seattle and than with cleveland. And than when he got to PORTLAND(weed capital of the world for NBA players)..fricking stoudamire and wallace got him hooked for good.

but the biggest dissapointment EVER!

yeah and when he was with the magic it showed! guy put on like 50-60lbs of fat and could barely touch the rim, but when he was rail skinny he was teh ****

cuban1983 is offline Junior Member
    Patrick Ewing owns you, pussie.

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allsaucedup
    how about sam bowie he was drafted in front of MIKE. vito how is mugsy bogues a disappointment he was not hyped up and he turned out to be a decent player
    Unlike the NFL, most NBA 1 and 2 picks amount to something. The fact that Bowie was sandwiched by Olajuwon and Jordan make him a REAL disappointment.

shawn kemp got real fat bro

STAYHUNGRY is offline Associate Member

biggest disappointment

I'd have to go with Ralph Sampson. 7'4, agile and picked to dominate the league. Hurt all the time and just faded away.

c_ville is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOAK14
    dwight howard doesnt impress me from the magic thsi years # 1
    I think he is pretty good.. Goes for 10-10 every night and plays decent defense.

Ranks #11 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(9.9)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.517)
    Ranks #14 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.7)
    Ranks #5 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(112.0)
    Ranks #3 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.7)
    Ranks #17 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(6.2)
    Ranks #14 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(297.0)
    Ranks #14 in the NBA in Blocks(51.0)
    Ranks #7 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(5.7)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(9.4)
    Ranks #10 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(15.0)

A_Giant_Bear is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Jason Williams (white chocolate)
    Harold Miner
    JR Rider
    Marcus Camby
    Kerry Kittles
    Grant Hill
    Antoine Walker
    Dekembe Mutumbo
    Eric Montross
    I definately wouldn't put Mutumbo on that list. The sixers nearly beat the lakers that year (I believe the series went to six) because of his acquisition. Grant Hill doesn't deserve to be on that list either.

keithquig is offline Associate Member
    this is the true biggest bust list.. u can also find it here http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...1/draft_busts/

10. Corky Calhoun
    No. 4 overall, 1972, Suns
    The 1972 draft was perhaps the worst in history. In addition to Calhoun, it featured such luminaries as No. 3 pick Dwight Davis, No. 5 selection Fred Boyd and No. 6 choice Russell Lee. Even the one great player from the draft -- Julius Erving -- never played a game for the team that picked him, Milwaukee. Calhoun, from Penn, lasted eight years but eclipsed the magical six-point-a-game barrier just once.

9. Kent Benson
    No. 1 overall, 1977, Bucks
    The top pick after leading Indiana to an undefeated national championship, Benson was a battler whose ordinary athleticism and scoring skills were quickly exposed. He managed only three double-figure scoring campaigns, and the Bucks dumped him after just 2 1/2 seasons, although he was good enough to at least stay in the league for 10 years.

8. James Ray
    No. 5 overall, 1980, Nuggets
    Denver took the swingman from Jacksonville ahead of Andrew Toney, and he managed to start seven games his entire career. He lasted just three years and averaged 3.2 points per game over that time. Fortunately for the Nuggets, they hardly missed him -- Kiki Vandeweghe came later in the same draft.

7. Michael Olowokandi
    No. 1 overall, 1998, Clippers
    Here's an idea: If you have the top overall pick, choose a guy who likes basketball. The Clippers didn't, and as a result they ended up with a lethargic, turnover-prone 7-footer instead of Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Vince Carter, Mike Bibby or Antawn Jamison. The Clippers have drafted well under Elgin Baylor, but this pick was a serious turkey.

6. Dennis Hopson
    No. 3 overall, 1987, Nets
    The Ohio State star was thought to be a can't-miss when he came out, but he turned into a can't-make. He shot 43 percent for his career and was out of the league in five seasons. Actually, you could make a stellar All-Bust team just from the Nets' picks in the mid-1980s. Hopson was part of a futile stretch that included Jeff Turner, Pearl Washington, Chris Morris and Tate George. Even their one good pick in that span, Mookie Blaylock, was traded for Rumeal Robinson within a year.

5. Bill Garnett
    No. 4 overall, 1982, Mavericks
    The forward from Wyoming was the second-ever pick of the expansion Mavericks and easily their worst ever. He stayed in the league for four very undistinguished NBA seasons, averaging five points and four rebounds. Garnett might rank higher but for the mediocrity of the players taken after him in the weak 1982 Draft.

4. Ken Durrett
    No. 4 overall, 1971, Royals
    Cincinnati drafted the forward from LaSalle, and he was as bad as any top-10 pick in memory. Durrett was so awful that he never started a game and was out of the league in four years. He had more fouls than points in his rookie year and shot 43 percent for his career.

3. Chris Washburn
    No. 3 overall, 1986, Warriors
    Call 1986 the "drug draft." Cocaine killed No. 2 pick Len Bias within a week of the draft (incidentally, I thought it unfair to include Bias as a "bust" given the tragic circumstances), and No. 6 pick William Bedford also had problems. But it was the No. 3 pick, Washburn, who became the poster child, playing just 72 games over two seasons with a career average of 3.1 points per game. He was on the street before his 23rd birthday.

2. Sam Bowie
    No. 2 overall, 1984, Trail Blazers
    The 1984 draft may have been the best of all time ... except for the part where the Blazers took Bowie at No. 2. It's well-known that the Blazers passed on Michael Jordan while the big man from Kentucky labored through an injury-plagued career. But what's less well-known is that Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Kevin Willis, Alvin Robertson and Otis Thorpe were all still on the board when it was Portland's turn to pick. Even Portland's second-rounder, Jerome Kersey, had a better career than Bowie.

1. LaRue Martin
    No. 1 overall, 1972, Trail Blazers
    Yes, there was a pick worse than Bowie. Martin was the top pick out of Loyola for the young Blazers, who were in only their third season. Despite playing for a horrid 21-61 team, Martin had trouble getting minutes. Bowie at least averaged double figures for his career; this guy was luggage. He stayed in the league only four seasons and finished with a modest scoring average of 5.3 points a game. Ironically, the Blazers passed on another North Carolina product -- three-time scoring champ Bob McAdoo -- to take him.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    Penny Hardaway, by far.

ManzNumero1 is offline Member
    Donyell Marshall

thunder20 is offline Associate Member
    joe smith....

itsjinx is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba
    Who do you guy think is the biggest disappointment in the NBA?
    1) Kwame brown
    2) Micheal olowokandi
    3) Shawn Kemp
    4) Nick Anderson
    5) Vin baker
    6) penny Hadaway
    7) Grant Hill
    8) Jay williams
    Grant Hill is by far the biggest dissapointment. He was awesome when he was with the pistons and broke a few records but he went to shit when he got injured and went to the magic. GH BLOWS

Anyone that said Ewing was a dissapointment should be banned. Ewing scored over 24,000 points idiot! For his career he averaged 21 and 10...He was an 11 time all-star! You're a freakin idiot whoever said hes a dissapointment.

TiptronicSoldier is offline Associate Member
    Benoit Benjamin? That guy was a huge bust

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    heat

Nicky B is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Giant_Bear
    I definately wouldn't put Mutumbo on that list. The sixers nearly beat the lakers that year (I believe the series went to six) because of his acquisition. Grant Hill doesn't deserve to be on that list either.
    Wrong sixers won the first game and thought they were good. Then you know what happened lakers won 4 in a row each game winning by more then 10points. So I believe Mutombo was the reason he could not stop shaq and no one still can't
    Last edited by Nicky B; 06-10-2005 at 09:40 AM.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    bowie definately one of the biggest dissapointments ever, but how about lynn bias. i know he didn't play a minute in the nba but could you imagine what could have been. parrish-bias-bird-ainge-d.j. and mchale coming off the bench.wow!

colossus1 is offline Member
    Dennis Rodman. Badass basketball player..............what a waste........

BoL0 is offline Junior Member
    Anfernee "penny" Hardaway

lollipops is offline Associate Member
    I would like to add Bobby Hurley, the whole 1986 draft, Shawn Bradley,and Felipe Lopez to the list

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba
    Who do you guy think is the biggest disappointment in the NBA?
    1) Kwame brown
    2) Micheal olowokandi
    3) Shawn Kemp
    4) Nick Anderson
    5) Vin baker
    6) penny Hadaway
    7) Grant Hill
    8) Jay williams
    Gotta go w/ grant hill, how good would he have been if he never got injured. when he was in his prime he was being compared to michael jordan. hill was a version of jason kidd...he could run the point, rebound, pass, and was a better scorer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information