Thread: Canned Foods ?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

Canned Foods ?

I don't usually eat any canned foods, but I was wondering if you guys do, and if so, which ones are good in terms of low in fat and high in protein? I don't think Shef Boyardy is any good, but I'm not sure. Any info would be appreciated.

Thnx
    Terinox

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    A lot of canned foods have high amounts of sodium in them and I can,t remember the last time I ate anything out of a tin

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool I second Billy Boy . . .

As a general rule, all canned foods are highly processed. However, the amounts of fat and protein will depend on the specific food. That's why tuna is so popular with BB's - it tends to be low in fat, high in protein. On the other hand, the pasta dishes (Chef What's-His-Face) tend to be high fat if they have meat or cheese in them (check the ravioli numbers, for example).

But the big thing to watch out for is the sodium, which is used for both flavoring and as a preservative. Keep in mind that regardless of how you want to balance your fats, proteins, and carbs, the maximum recommendation on daily sodium never changes - it's 2,400 mg. per day. If you read the nutritional labels on many canned goods (especially Campbell's soups), you'll find that you can blow your entire wad on one can of food. (Remember to multiply the sodium per serving by the number of servings in a can.)

If anything, Terinox, this should motivate you to be successful in college . . . As soon as you graduate, you can begin to eat healthier. (Actually, you can do that now, but it does detract from the college experience. )

Re: I second Billy Boy . . .

Originally posted by TNT

If anything, Terinox, this should motivate you to be successful in college . . . As soon as you graduate, you can begin to eat healthier. (Actually, you can do that now, but it does detract from the college experience. ) [/B]

True, so true !!!

Doc40 is offline Associate Member
    I dont find it too hard to eat clean in college. I know i get some shit about it but oh well. Keep workin hard Terinox. Peace, Doc.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    On top of sodium many vegatables will f sugars added to them as well. Most of these extra ingredients can be minimized if you wash the vegetables with running water through a caldran before cooking. It only takes like 3 minutes to do.
    IC

Tobey, do you mean wash the food from the can??? What about soups, I mean like Campells and things like that.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Canned Chicken is good too... I don't eat much out of cans again, most use salt as a preservative. I do eat a few beans from cans, tuna, and chicken.

What kind of chicken is good from the can? Could you be a bit more specific?

Thnx

Thread Information