OT8268 is offline Associate Member

What to eat before + after workout, while cutting?

what should I eat Pre and Post workout when I am trying to get cut and maintain some muscle mass?

D00fy is offline Anabolic Member
    yah u dont want to burn muscle while lifting,eat small serving oatmeal and protein like eggwhites or protein shake and post workout DRINK something like gatorade and protein shake and maybe creatine if you like,i feel pre and post carbs are the most important carbs of the day but thats JMO

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Doofy. Before a workout a light meal so that you dont get hungry.

Even whe I do this I usually get really hungry after a workout. I carry a protien shake with me and have it immediatel after working out. It makes me feel much better.

If you have never done this before try it: Take an empty water bottle and put in two scoops of prootien powder. After your workout add water shake and drink. Its cheap and its good. What's more, its good for you.

ripped_82 is offline Member
    Im very surprised that no one has metioned the fact that you need to restore your "glycogen levels" Glycogen is what your muscles your as energy which come from carbohydrates. Even when you are cutting up, you need carbs after your workout with protein. So unless your post workout shake has at least 30grms of carbs, you need to consume them elsewhere.

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by ripped_82
    Im very surprised that no one has metioned the fact that you need to restore your "glycogen levels" Glycogen is what your muscles your as energy which come from carbohydrates. Even when you are cutting up, you need carbs after your workout with protein. So unless your post workout shake has at least 30grms of carbs, you need to consume them elsewhere.
    I completely agree with this. For the longest time I was convinced that carbs had no place in a recovery meal. This was foolish thinking. IMO for a recovery meal carbs are the most important aspect. I would say you need at least .3 g of your bodyweight in carbs within 30 minutes of completing your workout.

SouthbeachDreams is offline Junior Member
    MCT oil baby!!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    While Cutting? EAT NOTHING! j/k
    Ok seriously, Try taking in a complex carb before working out. Nothing big like a small bowl of grits or oatmeal. Take a protien sghake for after your workout and remember to try to eat at least every 2 to 3 hours clean.
    Tobey

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    could i eat a tuna fish sandwhich on wheat for post work out carbs when cutting? As of now i keep my carbs under 40g a day. could i do this and not suffer cuts at all? thanks

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i like to have a apple before my work out so I do not crash then after it is a protein shake with dextrose and all my supplements, including vitamins etc...
    abstrack@protonmail.com

yellows2k is offline Member
    Originally posted by Keightly
    could i eat a tuna fish sandwhich on wheat for post work out carbs when cutting? As of now i keep my carbs under 40g a day. could i do this and not suffer cuts at all? thanks
    yes but there are much better choices

yellows2k is offline Member
    I eat a regular meal then 1.5-2 hours later I go workout so my blood sugar levels are relatively stable...

I don't believe in "pre workout" meals, whether I eat 30min or 2 hours before it doesn't matter IMO...

Post workout, you want fast absorbing whey protein and simple carbs most preferably in the form of dextrose or maldextrose, just like it says on about every diet thread in every diet forum in every fitness website....Preferable you want a 3:1-5:1 carbrotein ratio. SO that would mean 60g of carbs to 20g of protein....

Big_BoneZ is offline Associate Member
    YEs you are right Carb to protein ration should be 3:1, you dont wanna store FAT by 5:1 ratio as you need to consume these as soon as you finish your workout. Also Creatine/Glutamine are very helpful for post workout recovery. Glutamine effects show after a few weeks.

Thread Information