White Bread is offline New Member

Dieting the mental game

Just wondering how you get through your diet in your head .Dieting is not easy in fact I would rather cut of my right arm ,well maybe a toe anyways the point is I cant stand to diet . My question is when you need to get down in weight say 8-5 % and your at 15 or so % how do you do it mentaly ? Im not talkiing about counting carbs or cals Im talking straight up in the head dealing with your goals day after day after day for months .What makes the clock tick until you reach your goal ?what gets you through when you have had enough the first month and yet it takes at least another 2 months to hit your goal ?? Its always hard for me to cut and I just wanted to get a feel on what some of you are doing to get through ...White Bread

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Me personally, I know it's "me" and it's my business and what I do for a living, so I have to do it. When I do pics, update my site, etc., I know I have to get in photoshoot shape to take the pics and continue to build upon my career. So, that is what keeps me focused.

~SC~

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    You throw in some DNP and let it do the trick.

On a more serious note though, I have always found it very difficult when everyone around you is eating like complete shit. My coworkers are always eating ridiculous stuff, and it makes the brown rice and chicken breasts look terrible.

You need to find the one source of motivation that will allow you to fight cravings and external pressures. If I didn't have go eat dinner with clients, or be surrounded by unhealthy food everywhere I went, I think it would be much easier to cut.

The external pressure is what causes any sort of mental anxiety since I don't have an ounce of junk food, sweets, etc. anywhere in my apartment.

Examine your environment and see if it has anything to do, and then figure out if you can limit your time in the places or around the people that make dieting near impossible.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bread
    Just wondering how you get through your diet in your head .Dieting is not easy in fact I would rather cut of my right arm ,well maybe a toe anyways the point is I cant stand to diet . My question is when you need to get down in weight say 8-5 % and your at 15 or so % how do you do it mentaly ? Im not talkiing about counting carbs or cals Im talking straight up in the head dealing with your goals day after day after day for months .What makes the clock tick until you reach your goal ?what gets you through when you have had enough the first month and yet it takes at least another 2 months to hit your goal ?? Its always hard for me to cut and I just wanted to get a feel on what some of you are doing to get through ...White Bread
    Once it becomes a way of life, its not reall difficult. At least to get to 10%. At least for me, to go lower takes serious will power because I need to contro calorie intake at that point. I can get to 10% without worring much about calories - by just watching carbs and working out religiously.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    It's my job..it's my love...i just get up and do it.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    It's my job..it's my love...i just get up and do it.
    Well said !!!

IronFreakX is offline Banned

Cool

id kill myself b4 i go off diet , training etc....
    my life revolves around IRON its what i live for...

bor
    I had a dream at the beggining of my diet that changed my outlook a lot...

I was going to a bb competition as a competitor and feelin' great.I was looking through my eyes (in first person perspective, you know what I mean, like "doom" or "quake"), and I couldn't see my whole body but I knew I was huge.Came there, meet the other competitors, took my shirt off.......and looked down at my body. I had huge arms and shoulders, striated, veiny, tanned, just sick.........and A HUGE FAT FLABBY GUT!!!! It was awfull, I never felt so bad in a dream, everyone had abs BUT ME!!!!
    For some reason I had to go on stage, and I was standing there flexing, posing and sucking in my gut which was too big to be sucked in. I was like that chubby kid in "Testosterone boys" that went on stage at like 13% bf

I finished 17 out of 21

I rember stupid details like this, but I mostly remember the FEELING OF EMBARASSEMENT AND SADNESS I felt on stage, and thats the feeling I remember everytime I reach for a shitty food...so I put it down aand say fvck it I want abs

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    gr8 story tho....

niXon)( is offline Member
    cheat day usually satisfies my urge, hold off until then.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    When cutting I live for the cheat days. No matter how ****ing hard it is I know that I have a cheat day soon and that makes me stick with it.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I tell myself that my body looks cr*p and am one fat bas*ard! That always give me the drive to keep going!

bor
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    I tell myself that my body looks cr*p and am one fat bas*ard! That always give me the drive to keep going!
    Same here!!!

on the fat bastard

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, I feel your pain. Dieting is f-ing hard. I can deal with eating the bland food, my problem is the f-ing food prep. The _last_ thing I want to do when I get home from work is cook my food for tomorrow. My car is a piecer (stalls all the time and bottoms out on anything), so its really hard to get motivated for me to even go to the grocery store. I don't know what to tell ya, I'm in a diet rut myself... My diet consists entirely of yogurt, bananas, ready made EAS myoplex shakes ($2.40 a piece, yes, I'm that lazy), and ham and turkey sandwiches from Subway (my friend drives me everyday, I F-CKING hate my car). f-ck...

ouch clock, you in college or somthin?

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    No...and I make ~$60k a year and have zero debt... Long story short is that I'm trying to save for a car that I _really_ want instead of just getting what I can afford now. But honestly, I'm about to throw in the towel and just get an "affordable" car...living like this is seriously bringing me down...

good idea man lol. why live like sh!t if you don't have to? never know how long you'll live.

White Bread is offline New Member
    My stinkin stomach Im so ready to eat a whole box of corn Chex man I cant wait to get to sunday (cheat day )Ill keep on keepen on .Ill be on the food wagon for about 11 more weeks . I think Its time for me to start calling myself a fat dirty pig and then go to bed ..WB

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    i remember how it started for me. senior year, football ended, we won a couple games, i got a special reward, had a hot girlfriend, HS glory days. Anyway, football season ended, my skittles/mcdonalds diet caught up with me. With the lack of exercise i ended up getting kinda fat. ANyway to make a cheesy story short, girlfriend broke up to me, i got drunk and left a message in my phone that i found out (when sober) 2 weeks later, it said to get smart and look good, so i did.

dieting being a mental game, yes! sometimes you break before the cheat day, but dont let it piss you off, some people find no happiness because they are too caught up in their diet. you have to make it a lifestyle to eat the way you do. the hardest things are definently food preperation, lack of food in kitchen, lack of time to go home, and friends with good genetic, bad diet, and cynical attitude towards our way. good luck though man!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    As a few on here it's my job... so if I don't look good or look the part, my business suffers. For me to reach my goals and obtain to my fullest potential failure is not an option..... that an being overly obsessive helps alot to. I have good friends that support me along with my family which helps. You have to have the dedication or you won't be able to pull it off regaurdless of how much you want it or how much support you have.

needbigguns is offline Once Human and Inferior - Now Beast-Like and Superior
    Im the opposite guys, im jst getin into bulking, i find it hard to eat a lot, any of you got any good mental tips

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needbigguns
    . . .i find it hard to eat a lot
    I hate guys like you!

needbigguns is offline Once Human and Inferior - Now Beast-Like and Superior
    lol, thats allways the case, id love to be able to eat shit loads of food where as bigger guys would like to have a smaller appitite. Just life i suppose, but what tips can someone give me for mentaly staying in shape about force feeding - its brutal if you ask me, but its got to be done

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    Don't you ENJOY food? Christ, I LOVE food. So why not just eat all the damn time and stop crying. lol. I'm just playing...wish i had that problem.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I no longer have cheat days... my competition is 6 weeks away.

Cheating is not an option. I think the 'make or break' statute of keeping a diet lies within the initial setting of a goal.

That's the prob...most people don't have an image in their heads of what they want to acheive.

The mind works only with the information given. If your goals are vague...your commitment will be.

~Nark
    Last edited by *Narkissos*; 07-08-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Thread Information