scrapakilla is offline Associate Member

question about pre workout meal

I have been following the buling sticky with great results for the past 2 months. My question is this i have been using a pro fat meal pre workout as it says to do for the past few months wiht no undesireable problems, but woudlnt carbs suit me better. does this have to do with when you are bulking you should eat fat before your workouts. I am sort of confused becasue when doin a search i found the general feeling on this board is to use pro carb thanks.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapakilla
    I have been following the buling sticky with great results for the past 2 months. My question is this i have been using a pro fat meal pre workout as it says to do for the past few months wiht no undesireable problems, but woudlnt carbs suit me better. does this have to do with when you are bulking you should eat fat before your workouts. I am sort of confused becasue when doin a search i found the general feeling on this board is to use pro carb thanks.

There are a few points in the sticky's that I would make a case against and this issue is one of them. I would never have a pro/fat meal and then lift. Doesn't amke much sense and is a waste of protein. Not to mention you don't get the benefits of the protein since it will all be used for fuel instead of repair. In the ever changing world of Sports nutrition the pre workout meal is becoming just as important as the post.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Your preworkout meal should be relatively low in fat and fiber so it's easily digestible. Fat takes longer to digest than protein and carbohydrates, that is the reason not to gorge yourself on fat.

The small amount of carbs that you do have should not be high glycaemic, because you don't want an "insulin spike" or to feel low before you've even got to the gym. The protein should be easily digested and quickly available, but I agree with Giantz, it won't be helpful before a workout.

Low glycaemic carbs beforehand is a good thing IMO, they will be digested and stored as glycogen in the muscles for use in respiration when you lift (to give you energy).
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-05-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Your preworkout meal should be relatively low in fat and fiber so it's easily digestible. Fat takes longer to digest than protein and carbohydrates, that is the reason not to gorge yourself on fat.

The small amount of carbs that you do have should not be high glycaemic, because you don't want an "insulin spike" or to feel low before you've even got to the gym. The protein should be easily digested and quickly available, but I agree with Giantz, it won't be helpful before a workout.

Low glycaemic carbs beforehand is a good thing IMO, they will be digested and stored as glycogen in the muscles for use in respiration when you lift (to give you energy).
    I meant that in combination with fat the protein will not be helpful. Since fat cannot be utilized during weights, you will immeadiately turn to the ingested protein for glucose. This process is inefficient at best and you never want to deanimate amino's. I would eat a quick and slow digesting protein along with a Moderate GI carb source about 45 min prior to working out.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I meant that in combination with fat the protein will not be helpful. Since fat cannot be utilized during weights, you will immeadiately turn to the ingested protein for glucose. This process is inefficient at best and you never want to deanimate amino's. I would eat a quick and slow digesting protein along with a Moderate GI carb source about 45 min prior to working out.
    Thanks bro, I didn't think about what the direct effect of a pro/fat combo would be. Now I will never forget ! I'll stick to kinesiology in future

scrapakilla is offline Associate Member
    what would an example of a low gi carb be, and how much protein i guess keeping it aorund 30 grams wouldnt be too much would it

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    bump

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapakilla
    You took the post right out of my mouth. I also been following the same sticky and was wondering that. I have always used carbs before workout but on this routine i been doing pro/fat. It seems i dont have as much steam in my routine.
    how is something like this

morning
    pro/carb

prelunch
    pro/fat

lunch
    pro/fat

pre-dinner (before gym)
    pro/carb

GYM

after gym
    pro/carb

after gym shake
    pro/carb meal

before bed pro/fat

This is when i normally eat
    7 meals trying to get around 500calc a meal giving me around 3500 calories.

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    Would a whey/oat shake b good?

Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    Would a whey/oat shake b good?
    Sure would

Kurz is offline Member
    Sure would
    I am a newbie "isnt that what you call em" on this board, but in my short time, have realized that you sound pretty knowledable. Kudos.

Definately man, Protein and carbs.........before training. Why would you want to injest fats preworkout Oats and whey are my staple if I'm rushed, if not, it's a good protein/carb meal 1-1.5 hrs pre.....however, I'm bulking now, so not concerned with seperating good fats from carbs, so 90% of my meals have all three macros....exception post-training and pre-bed.....

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    I am a newbie "isnt that what you call em" on this board, but in my short time, have realized that you sound pretty knowledable. Kudos.
    A newcomer to any message board is a newbie actually...

Giantz is more than pretty knowledgable, that is the reason he is a fitness mod!!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I just don't understand why you guys have a sticky that says other wise

dbstyles is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    You took the post right out of my mouth. I also been following the same sticky and was wondering that. I have always used carbs before workout but on this routine i been doing pro/fat. It seems i dont have as much steam in my routine.
    how is something like this

morning
    pro/carb

prelunch
    pro/fat

lunch
    pro/fat

pre-dinner (before gym)
    pro/carb

GYM

after gym
    pro/carb

after gym shake
    pro/carb meal

before bed pro/fat

This is when i normally eat
    7 meals trying to get around 500calc a meal giving me around 3500 calories.

Would this be a good general balance/combination of macros while trying to reduce body fat in general? The total cal count can be adjusted but I want to know if the principal is correct.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I am still trying to figure out the best pre-workout. Anyone use any shakes that are higher in BCAA's then a normal whey protein mix? For a while that's what ive thought would be a good pre-workout meal.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I myself have either a steak and green beans, or a protein shake w/flax oil.

My energy is always through the roof, no harm done to me but everyone likes different things, so choose what works for you.

~SC~

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I'll normally do Prot/carb 1hr before and then Drink a ABB carboforce right before and during...
    What's your take on taking in carbs right before/during lifting?

Without it on heavy days it's hard to get through the workout.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    I'll normally do Prot/carb 1hr before and then Drink a ABB carboforce right before and during...
    What's your take on taking in carbs right before/during lifting?

Without it on heavy days it's hard to get through the workout.
    I def reccomend getting blood sugar up before a really haevy workout, leg day for example. I like to drink a gatorade during my workout to.
    "without your word you're a shell of a man" - Tupac

***Giants11 is a fictional character any advice given is purely for entertainment purposes, always consult a physician before taking any supplements, drugs or changing your diet.***

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Thx for the feedback giantz.. couldn't do legs without my carbs+ipod
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    That's why we are all different, as I can do legs w/nothing in the system at all, or merely a protein shake w/flax oil, and I do just fine.

~SC~

Thread Information