Terinox is offline The One & Only

Shake for Breakfast?

Hi,

Sometimes, like today when I have to get up pretty early and leave for school, sometimes I just have a protein shake for breakfast, then like 3-4 hours later I have a can of tuna. Is this a bad breakfast? Should I be eating more? Or can this protein shake I have hold me for a while?

Thnx
    T.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends, if it is just whey protein it is digested and out of your system really quickly, if it is a mix of proteins it will take a little longer to digest. Even if it is a mixed protein drink I would still try to eat that can of tuna a little quicker than 3-4 hours later. I would try to eat it at the max 2 hours later. IMO You can also try mixing some oats in with your protein shake ( I know not the best tasting thing sometimes ) This will help slow down the digestion of the protein due to the fiber and complex carbs. And remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day!!! (I feel like a special K commercial. )

pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Like pain said, try adding in oats, and mix it with milk. That will slow down the digestion, but you need to eat about an hour or so afterward. Good luck to ya.

yellows2k is offline Member
    You might wanna take in some simple sugars like a glass of juice since your body is EXTREMELY catabolic upon waking up and your glycogen levels are basically empty.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey yellow.....glad you're sticking around.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Unless its after a workout i see no reason to spike insulin unnecessarily like that. Why cant he just refuel muscle glycogen wth slower acting oats instaed of a higher GI juice? He wants to last longer doesnt he? WHat 3-4 hours? Then have the oats with the protein shake.
    Maybe throw some eggwhites in with the shake, or mix it with milk.
    Good luck

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Real food is always better, more nutional value and slower to absort etc.. shakes have a place, post workout middle of night, but rest of day should be real food when at all possible. Getting up 30mins. early to eat, is not the end of the world.

stetson0032 is offline Junior Member
    I always have a protien shake with water when i wake up (6:30am) and around 9 am i have a bigger breakfast. It has made things easier for me and it seems to be working well for me.
    I am with Big Dan on this as well,, throw in the oaks if you want to go 3-4 hours before eating again

yellows2k is offline Member
    Originally posted by Big_Dan
    Unless its after a workout i see no reason to spike insulin unnecessarily like that. Why cant he just refuel muscle glycogen wth slower acting oats instaed of a higher GI juice? He wants to last longer doesnt he? WHat 3-4 hours? Then have the oats with the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shake.
    Maybe throw some eggwhites in with the shake, or mix it with milk.
    Good luck

Sure, what he said.

Thanks for all the good info bros. But it's not like I don't want to eat real food. But it gets hard when you have to leave the house around 8:30 and you have a two hour lecture, and your outta there at 11!! So it gets tuff! Thankfully though, those are only on Mondays that it happens, other days I get a chance to eat much sooner, between classes (sandwich, tuna, shake, etc...)

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by yellows2k
    You might wanna take in some simple sugars like a glass of juice since your body is EXTREMELY catabolic upon waking up and your glycogen levels are basically empty.
    I like this, I usually always try to follow this, my early breakfast always includes a banana and some raisin's to get my insulin pumping.

Pain

jammergsxr is offline Member
    I like fat free vanilla yogurt,so I fill half a bowl of yogurt the other half cottage cheese then slice banana's on top of it.Gets me going pretty good carbs.and protien......By the way hows your cousins singing going?Hope she's doing well!

Originally posted by jammergsxr
    I like fat free vanilla yogurt,so I fill half a bowl of yogurt the other half cottage cheese then slice banana's on top of it.Gets me going pretty good carbs.and protien......By the way hows your cousins singing going?Hope she's doing well!
    Damn, You got one hell of a good memory!

Thanks for asking, there is good news and bad news. The good news was that she took it a bit more serious and got her parents a bit more involved. The bad news is, the place she is gonna go (classes for singing) is really packed, and so far she is on a waiting list, waiting to be contacted for further info. But i'm glad she's doing at least SOMETHING about her given talent.

I'll keep you updated with her progress

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Cool man,sounds like she,s on the right track...wish her the best!

Thread Information