redrock is offline Member

Question Per. trainer told me no dextrose after workout...

I went to Nutrisport to try and find some dextrose for my post-workout shake and the owner was there and he is also a personal trainer. He told me that I didn't want to put sugar in my body after a workout, only endurance athletes do that. He said I needed complex carbohydrates after a workout. I know many of you guys use dextrose in your PWO shakes. Please help shed some light, i'm so fricken confused. REDROCK

darklurker88 is offline Junior Member
    The point of high gi SIMPLE carbs after a workout along with a fast digesting protein is to elevate the insulin , to drive nutrients to your recovering muscles ASAP.
    Studies have been shown this is effective.

Thanks Dark, so what would be the benefit, if any of complex carbs after a workout??

FancyLad is offline Junior Member
    keep in mind what you learn in personal trainer certification is meant to be applied to the general population, for the most part...most bodybuilders are trainers ortrain themselves, and get advice from many sources...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

well........

here's a platinum scenario......

have dextrose and whey and R-ALA immediately after training.

1-1.5 hours after, you have your solid/lean protein source, and complex carb........R-ALA.........still within that "window".......

Fast acting and long lasting...........too bad ho's ain't like that.....lol........

~SC~

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Swole is on the $

Pain

xenithon is offline Member
    I think most people here will agree - Do Not always listen to personal trainers. I have spoken to a fair share whom know about as much about bodybuilding as I do about astrophysics

A few friends of mine also took these trainer courses and as FancyLad mentioned - they study from the TEXTBOOK. Unfortunately, many do not do what they should - keep evolving their info by reading, researching, asking questions (ie. like what we are all doing on the board) and are stuck with old principles in mind.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies. That helped clear some things up. REDROC

fyerstarter is offline New Member
    I have a question about post workout nutrition. Right now I am cutting so my last meal of the day doesn't have many carbs (basically just chicken breast, salad, and a small bit of flax). I work out in the evening so I only have two meals after my workout. The first is my high GI carb + whey shake and the second is the chicken + salad I mentioned above.

Would it be better to replace that last meal with one containing complex carbs and hope that my body would suck it all up for recovery from my workout, or stick with the way I have it now? Keep in mind that naturally I have a slow metabolism and am very carb sensitive, so I'm not one of those guys who can eat a house and stay lean. I have to watch my diet and my carbs very carefully to stay lean. I'm also natural but I do take creatine, glutamine, and bcaa's. I'm currently 6'. 192 @ ~ 11-12%bf, aiming for 7% this summer.

Any recommendations from cutting gurus such as SwoleCat is appreciated. Thanks!

sigrabbit is offline Member
    Never mind thread highjacker!.

xenithon is offline Member
    good question. bump up for you.

i think it depends a lot on what time the last meal is. is it right before bed? is it 2-3 hours before bed?

if its right before bed, perhaps have a few complex carbs, and see how your body reacts - experimenting is the only true way. so start with like 20g complex carbs for 2 weeks, build it up if you see it isn't affecting your fat loss.

if you have 2-3 hours before bed however, then I really dont think you should have a problem - but I would suggest a lean protein + fat meal just before bed, like cottage with flax, or a protein blend with flax.

fyerstarter is offline New Member
    Thanks for the reply xenithon. My last meal is usually about 2-3 hours before bed. I think I'll experiment with having some carbs and see what happens. Sorry if I sidetracked this thread.

Thread Information