fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member

Phenomenal article by Layne Norton

http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-ph...and-how-often/

This was a really awesome read. Pretty concise, it does not take forever to read but it is very informative.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Really interesting, thanks for posting. So the recommendation is to eat every 4-5 hours and sip on BCAA's in-between lol? I like the section about protein absorption etc, with leuicine being the determining factor in amount of protein to consume. I wonder how much if any impact this would have on overall body composition, i'd imagine minimal but hopefully docd can come in and pick the article apart.

Also, it's a relatively old article, so i wonder if he's got a more up to date one with newer research?

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    interesting article, well written. Did i get this right: we need a certain amount of protein or leuicine to actually start the anabolic process(read protein synthesis)?
    ...To find the optimal level of protein intake at a meal we must determine what the optimal level of protein at a meal for stimulating muscle protein synthesis is. It appears that maximizing skeletal muscle protein synthesis requires approximately ~15g of an essential amino acids1,2. It has been postulated that the amino acid leucine is responsible for the stimulatory effect of dietary protein on protein synthesis3 and 15g of essential amino acids would contain 3.2g of leucine...
    So if you have ONLY really small meals through the day, like sipping shakes all day long, you wouldnt ever get "high" enough proteinlevels in the meals to start protein synthesis?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Layne did write his thesis on Protein Synthesis so it is pretty sold info imho.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermaul View Post
    interesting article, well written. Did i get this right: we need a certain amount of protein or leuicine to actually start the anabolic process(read protein synthesis)?
    So if you have ONLY really small meals through the day, like sipping shakes all day long, you wouldnt ever get "high" enough proteinlevels in the meals to start protein synthesis?
    I don't think there's an exact amount of protein/amino acids we need to 'start' the process, just an ideal amount split to 'spike' it optimally.

Thread Information