Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Sox
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte
  • 1 Post By APIs

Thread: Implantable Pump for Testosterone Replacement Therapy

hornytoad is offline New Member

Implantable Pump for Testosterone Replacement Therapy

I work for a company that manufactures implantable drug pumps and I wanted to know if anyone has heard of using such a pump for testosterone replacement therapy. The pumps we manufacture are implanted below the skin in the peritoneal cavity in the abdomen. The pump is either constant flow (meaning the pump is designed to only administer a constant amount of medication per day) or programmable (meaning there is a basal rate that can be modified to suit each person). These pumps are made of a titanium shell and have all the internal components (i.e. pump, battery, electronics, medication reservoir) to deliver an exact amount of medication needed. The medication reservoir has enough volume capacity to go several months between refills. Battery life on these pumps are around ten years.

Due to the frequency of injections for normal testosterone replacement therapy, this method could be an alternative. These pumps are currently used to treat chronic pain and diabetes. Any thoughts?

scotty082865 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hornytoad
    Due to the frequency of injections for normal testosterone replacement therapy, this method could be an alternative. These pumps are currently used to treat chronic pain and diabetes. Any thoughts?
    What is the typical cost of this and how often does it need to be replaced? How do you load the testosterone in it?

I guess the real question on feasibility woudl be how it stacks up against the use of implantible pellets. Pellets provide constant levels of testosterone and are re-implanted every 3 to 4 months. Average cost monthly I have seen is as low as $100 per month to $200 per month depending on area of the US and type of doctor prescribing and inserting them.

hornytoad is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty082865
    What is the typical cost of this and how often does it need to be replaced? How do you load the testosterone in it?

I guess the real question on feasibility woudl be how it stacks up against the use of implantible pellets. Pellets provide constant levels of testosterone and are re-implanted every 3 to 4 months. Average cost monthly I have seen is as low as $100 per month to $200 per month depending on area of the US and type of doctor prescribing and inserting them.
    The cost of this pump is generally around 10K but like most uses for this pump, insurance covers the cost.

As far as the pellets are concerned, having them implanted once every 3 to 4 months seems to be quite a lot. There is an incision associated with the implanted pellets and it seems scaring may be a problem over time. There would be a small scar where the pump was implanted as well but the pump has a 10 year life so it wont be coming out for a long time. The pump is refilled with medication using a small needle that is inserted through the skin (through the scar, scar tissue has no active nerves so there is no pain) and into the inlet septum of the pump. The syringe then fills the reservoir and you're good for another 90 days (90 days is for insulin but testosterone will last approx. 1 year because less needs to be used). One implant and ten refills over a ten year period. Not bad.

scotty082865 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hornytoad
    The cost of this pump is generally around 10K but like most uses for this pump, insurance covers the cost.

As far as the pellets are concerned, having them implanted once every 3 to 4 months seems to be quite a lot. There is an incision associated with the implanted pellets and it seems scaring may be a problem over time. There would be a small scar where the pump was implanted as well but the pump has a 10 year life so it wont be coming out for a long time. The pump is refilled with medication using a small needle that is inserted through the skin (through the scar, scar tissue has no active nerves so there is no pain) and into the inlet septum of the pump. The syringe then fills the reservoir and you're good for another 90 days (90 days is for insulin but testosterone will last approx. 1 year because less needs to be used). One implant and ten refills over a ten year period. Not bad.
    I would seriously doubt that, with the availability of cheap alternative AND the general medical bias against andropause , that the average secondary hypogonadic would qualify to have insurance cover this. Possibly those suffering from primary hypogonadism, but even then, getting an insurance company to cover 10K when some won't even cover androgel is questionable.

As for your assertions on pellets, I can assure you that having them inserted every 3 months is not a big deal. Much less of a hassle then using gels or injections. And I have not had any scarring so, not sure what you are talking about there.

I would be interested in more information on your company's product. Do you have a link?

cuteboy003 is offline New Member
    That sounds like a great idea. When will this produce be available in USA? Or is it currently under FDA process already? Thanks.

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It seems to me this is the lazy, rich man's way to TRT. And on it's face it seems unethical to price something at $10k that probably costs a few dollars to make in a third world country. And unethical for someone to even consider making an insurance claim to get one. Call me skeptical, but your post also sounds a lot to me like a sales pitch.

I'd done pellets. The dosing is highly unpredictable, hard to remove if you are getting too much, and levels drop greatly toward the end of your dose period. Not at all a good choice, IMO. There is definitely scarring with pellets and they are a doctor's dream because he/she can charge for an in office surgical procedure.

Injecting your Testosterone is easier, and simpler - and much cheaper, IMO. And it has you use your mind so you can intelligently treat yourself. But if you don't want to think too much, I can see how a $10K, surgically implanted pump would appeal to you.
    Mr.BB likes this.

SweepTheLegJohnny is offline Junior Member
    I'll stick with my injections.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Damn, I'm disappointed that this thread is 12 years old, since the OP will never see me call him an idiot. Oh well...

Getting a pump surgically implanted in one's abdomen for a shot that can be done as little as every three months is overkill, to say the least. Those are good for quadriplegics that need short-acting muscle relaxers dosed every few minutes, so as to not be in constant pain.
    Mr.BB likes this.

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteboy003 View Post
    That sounds like a great idea. When will this produce be available in USA? Or is it currently under FDA process already? Thanks.
    heres another great idea , you should probably mortgage your house and invest in it...

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Damn, I'm disappointed that this thread is 12 years old, since the OP will never see me call him an idiot.
    Good catch Bonaparte. That one got right past me.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hornytoad View Post
    I work for a company that manufactures implantable drug pumps and I wanted to know if anyone has heard of using such a pump for testosterone replacement therapy.
    This guy was full-of-sh*t anyway. If he truly worked in the medical device industry he'd already know if the application was in clinical trials, pantented etc. He would not be consulting a bunch of dolts on a steroid forum...(no offense lols).
    Last edited by APIs; 04-01-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information