NessInOnett is offline New Member

Unhappy Low (but within "normal" ranges) Testosterone, Low (off the charts) prolactin levels.

I'm almost 30, and I've had problems with my libido since I was about 20. I've also been dealing with having absolutely no energy or motivation to do anything in that time. Working out is really frustrating because I get tired so quick, and I'm having a lot of trouble increasing strength. So I went to the doctor to have blood work done to get my hormone levels checked.

My testosterone , while technically considered "OK", is still on the very low end. I scored 379 ng/dl (normal range is 250-850, average for my age range is 617). According to this website, I have testosterone levels normally found in men aged 80-100 (see the 2nd chart). While technically it might be "OK", I'm not OK with it.

My prolactin levels, however, were off the charts. I forget the exact number, as my paperwork is at home, but it was well below the normal range.

My doctor scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary gland, and $750 later, they said it came back normal. My next step is to see an endocrinologist, and I have an appointment scheduled.

I can't find hardly any information online regarding the cause or treatment of low prolactin, so I thought maybe you guys might be able to offer some insight. Has anyone else had issues with low prolactin levels? What was done? Have you found ways to increase it to normal levels?

I'm so frustrated with all this. I just want to feel normal again, and I'm 99% sure it has to do with my hormone levels.

cah027 is offline New Member
    Sounds like we are in the same boat. I am older though. I am 37. my reg Dr tested my total test and it was 354. He refers me to an endo. 2 weeks go by , I see the endo and he says 354 is normal, he doesn't think test is my problem. He thinks its depression. I have had insomnia for a long time so he orders a sleep study. All the while this all comes out of my pocket because my ins sucks. So he takes a second set of tests for total test and free test. This time total test came back at 160 and my free test was 32 pg. This time I got my blood drawn a little later in the morning so I think it went down but I didn't think it would go down that much..

I would suggest that when you go to the endo and he has more blood work done.. Try to get it drawn later in the day if you can.

Good luck.. I know how you feel.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    hmm low prolactin is what you want for a man, means you have more dopamine, but the test is still low and we are men because of it, so you def need to either figure out if you even need trt (maybe one thing can be fixed and cure all), or you can start smaller with hcg and other stuff, if that dont work and only then, i would say go on trt...to do this youll need a competent doc

Thread Information