JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Who can write a script for TRT ?

Can a P.A. write a script for TRT, I ask because I know a couple PAs who work at one of those"first care" or "fast care" walk in type, no waiting clinics and they are very interested in my story but they seem unsure if they can legally prescribe TRT meds since they are a short term care facility.....but I thought one of you guys on here mentioned that you were prescribed through a PA.........I would love it if these guys got with it and started treating TRT.

Why on earth would you want someone like a Physicians Assistant to write you a TRT protocol JD?

For starters they are nurses with additional trainings and are not MD's.

Most Physicians don't even know how to evaluate a man and prescribe a protocol so what make you think a PA is better qualified?

Hormones are highly regulated and are a controlled substance so I highly doubt a PA could ever write for something like this...

I would want it because they are both very sharp and I go to them for just about everything and MOST importantly they are well aware of the need and are very interested in learning about it in depth.......lets look at it from another standpoint.....my GP told me I was fine and handed me a bottle of anti depressants so now guess who is in charge of my hormones......me!! I consider myself to be fairly sharp and I can build you a hell of a nice house but wouldn't you much rather have a medical professional with the proper knowledge take care of it than some grumpy old contractor? or a salesman at the clinic? I could go on about the docs around here but it's just a waste of bandwidth, eventually I will find someone and my damn insurance is gonna pay for it....I might 97 by then but I aint gonna quit looking.

bullshark99 is offline Senior Member
    My second stint (second clinic) was all done with a consultation of a PA, female as well. She wrote my protocol, which is 200mg 1.5 AI and 500IU 2X per week. I now realize this is very "cookie cutter" but I spent 45 mins with her and she was (IMO) very informed and new her Sh-t. From all the info I learned from the good people here I was able to ask intelligent questions which none of them took her off guard and wasnt able to answer. Just my experience.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Do you have insurance JD?

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD250
    Can a P.A. write a script for TRT, I ask because I know a couple PAs who work at one of those"first care" or "fast care" walk in type, no waiting clinics and they are very interested in my story but they seem unsure if they can legally prescribe TRT meds since they are a short term care facility.....but I thought one of you guys on here mentioned that you were prescribed through a PA.........I would love it if these guys got with it and started treating TRT.
    It was me who is working with a PA right now. A PA can prescribe anything. They just need to understand they are working under a doctors license. If the doctor they work under knows nothing about it I'd imagine they'd be told wtf are you doing putting my license at risk!?

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdevine
    Why on earth would you want someone like a Physicians Assistant to write you a TRT protocol JD?

For starters they are nurses with additional trainings and are not MD's.

Most Physicians don't even know how to evaluate a man and prescribe a protocol so what make you think a PA is better qualified?

Hormones are highly regulated and are a controlled substance so I highly doubt a PA could ever write for something like this...
    Physician Assistants are not nurses with "additional" training. What you are referring to us a nurse practitioner. It is not additional training they receive it is additional school. Both a NP and a PA are Masters programs. An NP goes through a medical program based on the nursing platform and a PA's program is closer to a doctors study in medicine. Both are given the power to prescribe and diagnose patients. The MD they work under must sign off on 10% of their work.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i was seeing a pa at my gp's office. She prescribed my trt.

Most of those clinics have their own policy that they would treat or prescribe meds for a diagnosis that requires long term care.
    i went to one for my diabetes i needed a script and my reg Dr office was closed. They wouldnt give me a script because it was a long term condition.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Quote Originally Posted by txnhb View Post
    Physician Assistants are not nurses with "additional" training. What you are referring to us a nurse practitioner. It is not additional training they receive it is additional school. Both a NP and a PA are Masters programs. An NP goes through a medical program based on the nursing platform and a PA's program is closer to a doctors study in medicine. Both are given the power to prescribe and diagnose patients. The MD they work under must sign off on 10% of their work.
    Thank you.

I wasn't aware because I have never worked with either type of professional.

Sounds like they could be an alternative for some.

I do have insurance, BC/BS.............interesting guys, thanks. I had great conversations with them because they actually understood what I was saying, I'm not sure if they know where the clinic or Doc stands on the subject.....they seemed unsure if it was permissable, maybe they are like everyone else and have unfounded fears of the legality, I am definitely going to pursue this, I may have to buy a steak dinner to get an undivided audience but this may be a good break for me.

To explain further, some of you guys may not grasp how hard it is to find anyone who is "cutting edge" here in the heartland, they call this "flyover" country for a reason. I don't want to drive 4 hr round trips every time I need to see my TRT doc. I want someone local that is good, otherwise I'll continue to do it myself.
    Last edited by JD250; 01-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.

fit2bOld is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100

Smile

Beg to differ with GD, I have a PA and HE is very educated in male hormones by choice. He is part of a larger practice and he does a fine job of keeping me feeling great, and my numbers on target. Have better service with this office than at the prior clinic, the meds are cheaper a Walgreens or Walmart and even takes my crappy insurance. I'm on test hcg and anastrozle. Not to mention when you get something else cough cold etc he already knows my history.

Moral of the story is: it's who you get and the amount of interest they have in the subject.

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I know sevral guys that knows more about hormones than most doctors. They hang out in a forum and talk HRT. We all know that most docs know very little about this stuff. So if your PA is knowledgable then great. Which the local MinuteClinic PA would write my script!

fit2bOld is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    My PA is in a local medical practice with 2 Physicians and 2 PA. Not sure about the quality of care one would get in the walk in facility but again its all possible.

Thread Information