Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Schwarzenegger

Thread: Squatting with hip impingement

redrum86 is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Squatting with hip impingement

Anyone experience this and found a way to still squat without causing pain? I have tried different width stance, foot angles and depths but the pain is always there? Any other good alternatives to the squat? Doing starting strength and don't want to deviate much unless I have to.

ever tried o lifting shoes with a heel?

cheap version is elevate ur heels on 10lb plates flat on the floor and squat. might make a difference as it makes it easier on the hips and more quad dominant movement
    almostgone likes this.

Also could try hack squat machine.

or smith machine squats with ur feet far forward so more emphasis on quads and less glute/hip involvement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    ever tried o lifting shoes with a heel?

cheap version is elevate ur heels on 10lb plates flat on the floor and squat. might make a difference as it makes it easier on the hips and more quad dominant movement
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Also could try hack squat machine.

or smith machine squats with ur feet far forward so more emphasis on quads and less glute/hip involvement
    Thanks for the reply I have never tries lifting the heal. I will give that a try tomorrow. So only about a half inch lift is all that's needed? And problems if you use higher? When raising the heels, your still lifting by putting preassure through the heels or are you focusing more on the toes now?

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum86 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I have never tries lifting the heal. I will give that a try tomorrow. So only about a half inch lift is all that's needed? And problems if you use higher? When raising the heels, your still lifting by putting preassure through the heels or are you focusing more on the toes now?
    Riposte advises against using soemthing to artificially lift your heel except for lifting shoes. The reason is it doesn't fix the problem. It's a bandaid that masks the problem. I'd suggest trying lifting shoes with a mild/moderate heel, mobility work (look I to Dr. Kelly Starrett's work on YouTube), more warmups and dynamic stretching before lifting, static stretching after lifting, etc. I've greatly enhanced hip mobility with a lacrosse ball. Put it against the wall and put the trouble areas into it. Work the ball through the pain and knots. Also there's a couple good hip stretches like the frog lose I believe it's called.

Most o lifting shoes add 3/4-1 inch lift on average. Others have more.

The plates under the heels is old school way of doing it. As long as the plates are flat and stable with no ridges on it, shouldn't be a problem. Better than spending $100+ on shoes, realizing the heels dont help and not fixing the problem. Squat the same way through the heels. Ur body will adjust accordingly

As doc said, stretching can do wonders. First a foam roller then working up to a lacrosse ball.

Schwarz,

Have you found foam rolling to help with your hips? For me it does nothing. It works great on my whole back, chest, hams and quads but for my actual hips it doesn't do much.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    Schwarz,

Have you found foam rolling to help with your hips? For me it does nothing. It works great on my whole back, chest, hams and quads but for my actual hips it doesn't do much.
    Ya i never used to use a foam roller until i saw this youtube video on mobility for olympic lifting and how to increase flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDHS13OE1k

theres the link and the stretch thing that has really helped me is at 4:36

Blog Entries
    I actually hurt my groin with a lacrosse. Perhaps too ruff with it. Foam rolling does help but I have to really dig deep.
    As far a squatting and types of shoes, are you supposed to push through with the heel or midfoot?

I actually hurt my groin with a lacrosse. Perhaps too ruff with it. Foam rolling does help but I have to really dig deep.
    As far a squatting and types of shoes, are you supposed to push through with the heel or midfoot?
    The cue is to go back on the heel but that's only to prevent you from going onto your toes. You want a flat foot on the ground and push with the whole foot for a better kinetic chain.

Thread Information