Papi93 is offline AR VET

Excessive Sweating Resulting in BO.

I use Old Spice High Endurance deoderant. It isn't strong enough to prevent BO. Anti-perspirants are supposed to stop you from sweating under the arms. If you're working out in a hot environment, no air conditioning in the martial arts gym that I train at, is it better to use an anti-perspirant for hygiene purposes? The only reason that I question this is; will stopping the perspiration increase body temperature excessively? It's hot as hell in there already. May be a stupid question but can someone help me out?

Girlyman is offline Associate Member
    Well I have a bottle of Certi-dry which is the most incredible anti-persipirant available by the way, you can pick it up at CVS or any pharmacy store really. Anyway it completely closes the pores under your armpit, you put it on once before bed at night and you dont need to wear anything the next day.

It says on the back don't worry about overheating, your body will disperse the heat elsewhere over the body. So I wouldn't sweat it to much (no un intended). Although before I go on a long hike or workout I personally don't wear any deoderant or anti-persp, I like sweating

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    Well I have a bottle of Certi-dry which is the most incredible anti-persipirant available by the way, you can pick it up at CVS or any pharmacy store really. Anyway it completely closes the pores under your armpit, you put it on once before bed at night and you dont need to wear anything the next day.

It says on the back don't worry about overheating, your body will disperse the heat elsewhere over the body. So I wouldn't sweat it to much (no un intended). Although before I go on a long hike or workout I personally don't wear any deoderant or anti-persp, I like sweating
    Awesome post! Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

bigJJ is offline Member
    Shave your pits. The hair absorbs the moisture and the odor follows.

TonyM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigJJ
    I can see the logic in this as only old sweat smells

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bigJJ
    My girlfriend did that for me last week. It really seems to help. Thanks for the advice!

On a somewhat related topic, I also sweat A LOT... this summer has been a particularely hot one here and I started getting the nastiest chest acne ever.

A friend told me to shave my chest as she claimed the hair held in moisture and caused bacteriam promoting acne. I finally caved in and clippered it with a #1 guard and wow... what a difference.

After a few days most of the acne is gone, or on it's way out. I guess it makes sense after all, the role of hair (or fur) is to insulate and hold in heat.

Red

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman

Gm you hit that right on the head. Certain-Dri is the only OTC product that I've found that has Aluminum chloride in it. That's what is doing all the work. They claim to be antiperspirant but I only use it about 5 nights a week. I still apply deodorant regularly

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    anyone get better performance from anti-persperants after shaving underarms?
    -Cy

yung-priest is offline Associate Member
    use womans deoderant

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    I got prescription stuff from the doctor, put it on 2x a week before bed and it completely stopped all sweating from my pits. It's called Drysol and it looks like a little bingo dotter bottle. Only problem was that once I used that, it just seemed like I started sweating more everywhere else instead. I have also used Certain-Dri, it works very well. The other thing that worked well for me was Mitchum Anti-Perspirant, but that stuff stains your white shirts yellow if you wear it alot.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Sweat does not smell. What smells is when sweat breaks down (decays) and the bacteria breaking it down.

If you shower before your workout and shower immediately after your work out, you shouldn't smell.

Good advice to eliminate the hair in you pits. It collects bacteria and decaying perspiration.

Hygene is the answer, not products.

Thread Information