Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Yep it will be good for her and everyone else when shes finally at peace.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It makes me so disgusted to see that poor women just laid up in a bed all day drooling over herself. I can't believe that her own flesh and blood want to see her go on through life like that.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Mighty is offline Junior Member
    The sad story in this isn't that she is going to finally be allowed to finish dying. That only thing sad about it is the fact that she "DIED" way back when her heart stopped for a few minutes rendering her brain dead, and her parents and family have strung her along for this long due to there own selfishness, and not wanting her to be gone.
    I'm happy for Terry Schiavo, and her husband, and screw her parents. What parent would put their child through that (wether she can feel it or not) for their own selfishness. I wonder if they will have her taxidermied, and put back in her old bedroom

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    Starvation, in a mentally intact person is a horrible way to go, however, Terry, is not like this. It has been proven time and time again that her "vegetative state" includes the destruction of the center of the brain that intreprets the neurological signals of pain. This has been documented by serial EEGs, CT Scans, and MRIs. So in reality, although to us the word "starvation" seems awful, to her she feels no pain, and is essentially slipping away into a coma. All that she has left is basic autonomic functioning....and essentially she is already dead. This is my viewpoint.

I actually do agree with physician assisted suicide, however, the problem lies in what actually warrents this?...Where do we draw the line with who can die and who cannot?...

On a more personal note, I really can't stand these "Right To Life" groups. Its so frustrating how they twist and manipulate the public into believing as they do. Probably my most frustrating moment with these people came years ago. A women who had progressive cancer of the esophagus was essentially on her death bed. It stuck with me because how sweet, kind and wonderful a person she was. She made it clear of her wishes not only to us as physicians but also in a DNI/DNR. It was so frustrating to watch the Right to Life groups actually arguing and petitioning DESPITE THE FACT she had a legal DNI/DNR! They actually took us to court, it was absolutely disgusting. What struck me the most was that these people KNEW her wishes but didn't care. They wanted to get in the news, and wanted to get their point heard, whether or not this sweet women wanted it or not.

I guess, what Im trying to say, is dont believe everything you hear. These groups have their own motives, whether religious or monetary, and I can speak from personal experience that in general they are insane. I know its harsh to say that and I am not usually this judgmental but after what I have seen them do to innocent VICTIMS, THEIR VICTIMS, its a discrace...

-DocMD

RATM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty
    What parent would put their child through that (wether she can feel it or not) for their own selfishness.
    You obviously are NOT a parent

RATM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartDocMD
    Starvation, in a mentally intact person is a horrible way to go, however, Terry, is not like this. It has been proven time and time again that her "vegetative state" includes the destruction of the center of the brain that intreprets the neurological signals of pain. This has been documented by serial EEGs, CT Scans, and MRIs. So in reality, although to us the word "starvation" seems awful, to her she feels no pain, and is essentially slipping away into a coma. All that she has left is basic autonomic functioning....and essentially she is already dead. This is my viewpoint.

I actually do agree with physician assisted suicide, however, the problem lies in what actually warrents this?...Where do we draw the line with who can die and who cannot?...

On a more personal note, I really can't stand these "Right To Life" groups. Its so frustrating how they twist and manipulate the public into believing as they do. Probably my most frustrating moment with these people came years ago. A women who had progressive cancer of the esophagus was essentially on her death bed. It stuck with me because how sweet, kind and wonderful a person she was. She made it clear of her wishes not only to us as physicians but also in a DNI/DNR. It was so frustrating to watch the Right to Life groups actually arguing and petitioning DESPITE THE FACT she had a legal DNI/DNR! They actually took us to court, it was absolutely disgusting. What struck me the most was that these people KNEW her wishes but didn't care. They wanted to get in the news, and wanted to get their point heard, whether or not this sweet women wanted it or not.

I guess, what Im trying to say, is dont believe everything you hear. These groups have their own motives, whether religious or monetary, and I can speak from personal experience that in general they are insane. I know its harsh to say that and I am not usually this judgmental but after what I have seen them do to innocent VICTIMS, THEIR VICTIMS, its a discrace...

-DocMD
    Excellent Post Doc!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RATM
    You obviously are NOT a parent
    I have a fourteen year old daughter, and believe me if the doctor ever came to me and said she was brain dead with no chance of survival off of life support, I was be destroyed, and say my goodbyes.
    Are you saying you would keep your child on a machine so that you wouldn't have to face reality, and say goodbye ?....crazy

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Terry Schiavo past away this morning.

TommyTrainR is offline Associate Member
    In no way do I intend the following statements to offend anyone, but...

I'm glad she died. I was sick and tired of hearing about this bed-ridden woman every day. On TV, in the newspaper, on the radio, it was everywhere! It's a case of life or death. I'll admit I got depressed over the story and I hate being depressed thus I hated how I heard about it over and over on a daily basis. God bless her as hopefully she can finally live in peace and tranquility.

it's horrible what happened to her because she was starved and obviously was not completely brain dead if she could make noises, blink, etc...several friends of mine that work in the special school system as physical therapists work with kids in more of a vegatative state than her...

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    every one has to die some day! We all have our time when we leave this earth. If you are suspended on some kind of life support system you are not living and she was not living. I feel veri disgusted by the fact that other people got their feeling involved and kept her alive for so long.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    it's horrible what happened to her because she was starved and obviously was not completely brain dead if she could make noises, blink, etc...several friends of mine that work in the special school system as physical therapists work with kids in more of a vegatative state than her...
    Any more of a vegetative state than Terrri Schiavo and she would need to be on a heart and lung machine, this woman was brain dead, and I would imagine that her making any noise what so ever, was more likely due to involuntary movments or spasms , than her "trying" to communicate.
    I agree with abstrack. This woman was DEAD, science brought her back and kept her body living and for what ? $$$$

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    While I agree that if you are a veggie you should be allowed to kick the bucket, I don't think this was the case. After her stroke she was in rehab and able to be fed. Her husband put a stop to all rehab and had them put the tube back in.

I had to do a paper on a guy who only had 10% of his brain left after a car accident. During rehab his brain formed new pathways and he regained motor function and actually is working today.

While I agree with the premise that the husband should have the say, I don't think he had her best interest at heart, as stated above.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    While I agree that if you are a veggie you should be allowed to kick the bucket, I don't think this was the case. After her stroke she was in rehab and able to be fed. Her husband put a stop to all rehab and had them put the tube back in.

I had to do a paper on a guy who only had 10% of his brain left after a car accident. During rehab his brain formed new pathways and he regained motor function and actually is working today.

While I agree with the premise that the husband should have the say, I don't think he had her best interest at heart, as stated above.
    Wrong....she has never been able to swallow. Don't believe all you read or hear.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    thats messed up....surely there was some other way they could let her pass away. im speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by XxElitexX
    thats messed up....surely there was some other way they could let her pass away. im speechless.
    Agreed.............hence the reason courts and politicains should have never been involved.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Wrong....she has never been able to swallow. Don't believe all you read or hear.
    How do you know...Got proof? I ask because this was my only sticking point.

I live across the bay from where everything went down. Terrie has been front page news here since the parents started the lawsuit.....what was it 7-8 years now? We've even had stories about how messed up the information in other news sources are.

bmf2 is offline Elite Female - AR-Hall of Famer
    I know if I was in that state I would want her husband to be taking care of me... after reading many hours of transcripts from the nursing home as to how strict he was on her care and how much he cared for her every need from wanting her make up applied to her purfumed lotions massaged on her as well as the latest fashion.... he even had a hair stylist to come and cut her hair... the nursing home actually put in a complaint because he was so demanding on her care... and I commend him as well as the staff... in all the years in this state she never had so much as one skin rash bed sore staph infection... that is almost unheard of after all this time... I think this man truely loved her and knew her wishes... I do believe in the beginning he was hopeful that the doctors were wrong and she would come around... then reality set in... a very sad reality... she is a peace now and hopefully he can move on and be at peace that he did what was right for his wife...

Something I did and do find odd they had found that her condition was caused from lack of potassium due to starving herself... (ie. eatting disorder) if you recall they were trying to have a baby and were in contact with a doc at the time of this "heart attack" "collapse" hence the ability to sue the doc for not finding her lack of potassium... so this all started with her starving herself... and ended with her starving...

RA
    I live across the bay from where everything went down. Terrie has been front page news here since the parents started the lawsuit.....what was it 7-8 years now? We've even had stories about how messed up the information in other news sources are.
    Your proximity to the case does not provide proof imo..

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Your proximity to the case does not provide proof imo..
    True. But the odds that due to the location I might be prevy to up to the minute reports or the daily papers and tv news updates might put me at an advantage to lets say.......someone in Georgia or ALaska. A story told more than once tends to lose a lot of mean or becomes out right false.

Have you followed the case?

RA
    True. But the odds that due to the location I might be prevy to up to the minute reports or the daily papers and tv news updates might put me at an advantage to lets say.......someone in Georgia or ALaska. A story told more than once tends to lose a lot of mean or becomes out right false.

Have you followed the case?

Yes, and what I asked for was proof. Not someone throwing more arguments at me. If this actually did not happen then I am happy she was allowed to die.

My bad bro. I didn't mean to insult you, if that's what you think I did. What kinda proof do you want? Bliss stated she read the transcrips of how she was treated in the Hospice Unit....do you hanestly think if her husband had demanded his wife be taken that well care of that he wouldn't also allow her to eat if she could? She could not swallow...period. When the "Terry" bill was being discussed in Tallahasse, Senators where stating she could swallow, move her head and respond to outside stimulation....all proven to be completely false. Also I don't believe he was trying to kill her liike her family suggested. What could he gain? Hell, an outside party offered hin A million cash to walk away and let her family have her back and he turned it down. Sounds to me as though the guy was only doing what he thought his wife wanted. There was a trial in which a judge heard from her husband and three witnesses that she had stated if she was ever in such a state she would want to be allowed to die, as would most people. The court ruled that she did say this and she should be allowed to die.....then the next motion was filed, then the next, then the next.............

I'm not throwing more arguments......I thought we were discussing.

RA
    My bad bro. I didn't mean to insult you, if that's what you think I did. What kinda proof do you want? Bliss stated she read the transcrips of how she was treated in the Hospice Unit....do you hanestly think if her husband had demanded his wife be taken that well care of that he wouldn't also allow her to eat if she could? She could not swallow...period. When the "Terry" bill was being discussed in Tallahasse, Senators where stating she could swallow, move her head and respond to outside stimulation....all proven to be completely false. Also I don't believe he was trying to kill her liike her family suggested. What could he gain? Hell, an outside party offered hin A million cash to walk away and let her family have her back and he turned it down. Sounds to me as though the guy was only doing what he thought his wife wanted. There was a trial in which a judge heard from her husband and three witnesses that she had stated if she was ever in such a state she would want to be allowed to die, as would most people. The court ruled that she did say this and she should be allowed to die.....then the next motion was filed, then the next, then the next.............

I'm not throwing more arguments......I thought we were discussing.

I did hear that he was offered a million to walk away but was unsure about that being true. I guess I was hoping for iron clad evidence about the husband stopping the rehab. Probably what happened was the right thing.

Many people were arguing a "low quality of life". When you get into that its a slippery slope. But, if she didnt want to live like this, then she should be allowed to go.

Sorry if I sounded pissed.

No worries Roid dude.......I didn't wish to cause you ill will either bro. It was a tough pill to swallow, the things that went on with this poor woman I mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information