Thread: OTC Cholestral

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

OTC Cholestral

This is a very idiotic question, but here it goes.. My father has a phobia when it comes to doctors.. he got a physcial for his life insurance and his cholestal level is of the charts being that hes too stubborn to go to the doctor or eat healthy he relies on otc drugs.. can anyone recommend any otc drugs that they have used.. ?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there are any OTC drugs in the US designed to lower cholesterol. Most cholesterol drugs, if not all, don't have a target, they lower both HGL and LGL cholesterol. If you drop your HGL too low, you are at health risk, so you need to be consistanly monitored when on medication like that. People have been trying to push for OTC cholesterol pills, but if they do happen, they will be very mild and wouldn't do your father much good if his cholesterol is really that high.

scotty082865 is offline Junior Member
    A couple of things may help. First, look into Vitalzym (www.vitalzym.com). This is a systemic enzyme that I have been into that also has the benifit of lowering cholesterol. Typically by 20% or so due to the inclusion of Lipase. Lipase (a soy biproduct) binds to the LDL and shuttles it our of the blood.

Another and more important suppliment would be Guggle extract. This has for years been used to regulate cholesterol. It is also a very good sup for thyroid stimulation.

Both of these can be found at your local vitamin store. I use www.vitaminshoppe.com. They have a local store near by and always have good prices.

And yet another good suppliment is Phosphatidyl Choline (another by-product of Soy).

And yet another (last one...) is Omega 3 fish oil and/or flaxseed oil. These have been show to raise HDL which is the good cholesterol.

Now, eating well will also help. Lots of Fiber. I like FiberOne cereal each morning.

From all of this, hopefully your father can find some benifit.

Good luck.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    thank you guys.. I'm going to go get thoes sups you recommended today and see if i can get him to doctor for another physical..

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Foods with water soluble fiber like Oatmeal and oatbran (and barley though nobody on the planet but me eats that) are supposed to lower cholesterol as well if you can get him to eat one of those. Maybe the fiber is available in pill form?

Good luck with your dad. I know cholesterol levels respond dramatically to changes in diet and exercise. I hope he does those first rather than take drugs to lower his cholesterol -his fear of docs may be a good thing in that respect.

SLOW AND EASY is offline New Member
    E-
    Beta-Sitosterol is the active ingredient in saw palmetto and has been linked to reduced LDL at around 300mg/day. This with a diet change may help him out. Check it out.
    Peace

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Niacin (timed released).

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Niacin (timed released).
    Niaicin, NOT timed released.
    Timed release forms in dosages high enough to improve cholesterol are hard on the liver.
    Better yet, use the form of niacin called, Inositol Hexanicotinate and have him take 1500-2000mg a day. This kind of niacin will not cause a flush and is not timed released. Don't get this confused with the form of niacin called Niacinamide, which does nothing to help blood fats. Make sure you read the back nutrition pannel to see just what form of niacin you are getting.
    Regular niacin causes a flush, and can be quite scarry, so know what you are getting and make sure he can understand the difference as well, so he doesn't by the wrong one.
    The flush is scarey but harmless, FYI.
    Also have him start a multivitamin, as well as adittional b-complex to work with the niacin, as it is B-3.
    Try to get a b-complex with 100 milligrams of all the B's. Have him take three a day. Try to get a b-complex with the form a niacin called niacinamide and not regular niacin, as this may cause a slight flush. Don't count the niaciniamide in the b-complex as part of his total niacin intake.

Get him some fish oil caps as well and have him take 9 a day. 3 at every meal.

good luck.

nutrovitasub is offline New Member

Lightbulb Niacinamide Timed Release For Health

Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B-3, functions in over 50 metabolic reactions, most of which are enzymatic. Its bioactive forms " NAD+, NADH, NADP, and NADPH " play important roles as catalysts in the energy production process in the cells, the breakdown of proteins and fatty acids, the synthesis of fatty acids, and the formation of steroid hormones and red blood cells. Source Naturals Niacinamide 1,500 mg is prepared to provide a gradual release over a prolonged period of time.
    Suitable for vegetarians and HYPOALLERGENIC: contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, corn, soy or wheat. Contains no sugar, starch, salt, preservatives, or artificial color, flavor or fragrance.
    Other Ingredients: stearic acid, modified cellulose gum, vegetable fiber and magnesium stearate.

For More Niacinamide Timed Release Products :
    Niacinamide Timed Release

For More Information Nutrovita

Thread Information