oldguy47 is offline New Member

Did you gain a lot of weight at 40+ ??

I have a question for guys who gained a lot of weight in their 40's . After reading this board for a few days I noticed something and it's got me wondering.
    I was recently diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, put on TRT and ordered to lose weight. I was in good physical shape until I enrolled in grad school shortly before I turned 41. My health went down hill from that point on. I worked full time, then went to class for 3 + hours then stayed up to till 2am writing papers. Did a lot of late night eating and before I knew it I had gained 75lbs. I had been this heavy before and frankly it never bothered me. I lost the weight cause I looked awful but felt fine. This time I felt terrible, like I was always on a sedative, had no energy and also become very physically weak. If I tried to run I would feel sick and exhausted for days afterwords. That scared me as I had always been naturally strong. Anyway I had always felt the aggravation of school and all my eating caused my health problems. But after reading this board for the past week or so I see posts from other guys who basically implied that once they hit their 40's , they got Low T and then a big spare tire appeared shortly afterwords. I know eating had a lot to do with my problems but after reading these posts I wonder if some/most of it was just my age.

What do you think, did you noticed anything like this?

For my own guilt reasons, would like to know
    Thanks..

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like most physiologic problems its caused by multiple things. Sure after 40 test levels generally decline. At this point your bodies ability to handle misuse and abuse declines so at 40 something it is much less able to than at 30 something. In your case you had the perfect storm ( as the saying goes) Stress, Overeating and eating shitty food no doubt, And lets not forget lack of sleep, the body repairs itself while sleeping, if you are bloated when you fall asleep then your body is not able to enter a deep sleep and repair state till it gets some food moved from the gut to the intestines.

So its easy to see you had a multipronged attack on yourself that would have caused serious trauma at 30 at 40 plus your body had no chance.

TRT may be the answer but is a serious lifelong commitment before even considering it I would spend at least 6 months sleeping and eating right as well as excersizing as this is the only thing that will give your body a chance to recover its own TRT numbers ( they may be low now but after loosing wieght and getting in shape they may not be so bad as to require TRT)

Anyway good luck, stick around and read the diet forums train natural sleep at least 8 hrs a night and get bloodwork done then after a few more months see if the Test values are improving, if so continue till they plateu then you can make a decision on whether TRT will be needed.

FFM

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I have been fat a few times in my life. They were all during periods of laziness. I was eating whatever junk I wanted, and not exercising. I did get really heavy in my mid thirties, and then lost 75 pounds. Then I hurt my back and had limited movement or a long time. I gave up and got fat again. It didn't seem like it happened any easier or faster as I got older.

I did lose significant fat once I started TRT though, so I am sure my low test levels did contribute to the issue.

Thanks for the reply. Next month it will be 3 years since I graduated. I started walking just as soon as I got out. Even that was hard for a good while. Eventually I was able to lose 20lbs then I started feeling worse and couldn't lose anymore. I had always run before I went to school but it made me sick and weak every time. I made sure to stop anything that might be bad for me hoping they were the cause of my ailments. I had hurt my back and had been on pain pills. So I went off those but still felt bad (my dr said they could have lowered my t but it would have recovered after i got off). I had started smoking to deal with school and other issues and slowly tapered. Be live it or not that is when things got even worse. The nicotine was giving me energy so I could function. Quitting smoking was not so hard do to because of the cravings but energy loss. Around 4-5months after I *totally* quit, I had to go on nicotine patches to stay alert and remain functional. That was the last straw so I got help. That is when I got diagnosed and went on TRT. Been on TRT for a month and a half and as of today lost 16 pounds in since begin of march- I now run about 2 miles every other day and have no issues with sickness/tiredness anymore. Everything is coming back to normal now so it did have a very pos effect. No I wish I did not need it but I have gov health insurance which covers everything so I am good there. I just saw alot of posts from 40 something men with low T and pot bellys and wondered if that was not a coincidence. I also have a friend of 20+ years who's husband was about where I was at this year but for him it began about 10 years ago when he had just hit 40. Metabolic syndrome is your body warning you about serious problems if you don't fix it. Well he is very lazy and didn't do anything so he got high cholesterol, had a heart attack, went bald, weight shot up to 400lbs and then he got diabetes. He also has low t but doesn't care anymore according to her. Maybe I am seeing a connection that is not there but sure seems like somthing is going on. ..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I have been fat a few times in my life. They were all during periods of laziness. I was eating whatever junk I wanted, and not exercising. I did get really heavy in my mid thirties, and then lost 75 pounds. Then I hurt my back and had limited movement or a long time. I gave up and got fat again. It didn't seem like it happened any easier or faster as I got older.

I did lose significant fat once I started TRT though, so I am sure my low test levels did contribute to the issue.
    Thanks for the info. Yea I also gained a bunch of weight in my early thirties because my work likes to thrown parties too much. I had no trouble then losing 65 pounds doing nothing but running and riding a bike, but this time I was just too tired and weak and if I forced the issue I would get sick and or be exhausted for days. Woke up every morning in a stupor so I knew something was not right...

RicksonAR is offline New Member
    You will begin to have a slower metabolism and can begin to lose muscle mass in your forties. It does help to be on trt. You may also want to check levels of estrogen, prolactin, and thyroid levels. I was diagnosed with Adult onset type 1 diabetes, so insulin has not been my friend in the fat department lately.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've never been overly fat. Always been pretty close to a good diet and exercise routine. However, i have noticed that gains come harder and dissipate quicker post 40. Once started TRT, not so much anymore.

itsjayman02 is offline Member
    after retiring from most physical sports and at 33 I noticed a loss of energy tiredness and Borden which pushed my weight up to 18 stone of not do solid fat

itsjayman02 is offline Member
    Then a year later suffered a lumbar disc prolapse which took 7 years to get over at which point I challenged myself to be positive and selfish and start training again using my years of knowledge within a year or so I was in my forties and 14 stone 2 with 12% body fat.......8 months later snapped my Achilles heel in 3 places and the weight slowly came back but being determined or stubborn if you like and after 2 operations on my back and one on my Achilles I am now 45 years old and in the best size of my life with a cutting cycle to follow I'm looking to be 15 and a half stone with a ??% body fat who knows will post when forum allows me to load pics.

The journey ends when you die live to train people!!

Thread Information