allabs5150 is offline Associate Member

siatice nerve injury

I was wondering if any of you other guys suffered an injury to the siatic nerve. I am 35 and have been weight training for years, and except for the normal aches and pains that pop up here and there this is the first major injury I have been afflicted with.

About 2-3 months ago after do heavy shoulder shrugs I started feeling a little tightness in my lower back, but dismissed it to age it really didnt bother me that much,then about a month ago I started feeling a bit of tightness in the back of my left thigh once again dismissed it like the rock head I am. So this brings us to 2 weeks ago I go to the gym to train bi/tris and on my first set 2 45's on the e-z curl bar something in my lower back feels like its popping through my skin OUCH well once again like a rock head I push my way through the workout, but go home and spend the rest of the night basically crippled. I wake up no better and after speaking to a some of the knowledgable Bro's on this forum the consensus is possible siatice nerve and or herneated disc.

Well I go to my Dr. he puts me through a who routine bending this, twisting that trying to pin piont the location of the pain, after his evaluation he come to the conclusion I have aggrivated the siatic nerve, but dosent feel as though I herniated a disc. He advised me to stay out of the gym for at the very least 2 weeks, and prescribed two medications. Well I wasnt to happy about staying away from the gym for 2 weeks, but I figured its best to cut my loses here rather then go back to soon and really F@*K something up for good. So its been one week outta tha gym and on the meds. I would say its about 70% better but I am really starting to thing in another week I am not going to be ready to go. I was wondering if any of you other guys ever sufferd from this and how long it took you to recoperate and get back to your normal lifting routins.

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    I'm a personal trainer and have a number of clients with that problem. Everyone is different. but most say that if they stay active it does not bother them as much.

learn how to stretch by picking up a good book choosing either AIS or PNF methods of stretching. stretch the hip and trunk(lower back) muscles well.

Lewd

allabs5150 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks guys!!!!........and Lewd you really got me thinking it really does feel as if the back of my thigh is just extra tight and had thought about stretching, but was kinda concened about doing it without consulting a profesional, mainly because at this time when I exert myself be bending alot it seems to bother me more. I will give it one more week and give you guys a follow up

Thanks again

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    start stretching now...there really is not a time when you are too injured to stretch. Just do not over exert yourself or make it painful. Go through a 10 minute stretch routine. Make sure you hit the glutes/piriformis/hams/lower back in the routine.

Lewd

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Allabs,

A sciatic nerve injury is not entirely uncommon in strength training athletes. Often times it becomes a chronic problem and if left unattended to, can be quite debillitating. Lewd gave you the best advice for this type of problem, and that is plenty of stretching of the lower trunk area. Stretch before and after your weight training and this should help to alleviate your symptoms. Alleve or some other type of OTC med can also help reduce the inflammation thus reducing your pain.

Another suggestion is to go and purchase a cheap neoprene back support from Walmart and utilize this to keep the muscles supported and warm. I have been a long time sufferer of this exact same injury and this neporene support is great. They are only 8-10 dollars and can be adjusted for most anyone. A chiropractor that I was seeing made the suggestion and I have used it ever since. Give it a try and I am sure you will be happy with it. Remember..Stretch..Stretch...Stretch..

Doc M

Thread Information