Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Are shirts beneficial in powerlifting? Yes

Do the have a place in bodybuilding? Hell No

Lurch is offline New Member
    If Mendy has the all time raw record, but I saw him bench 914 in a shirt and then take 2 cracks at 1008, should I admire and laugh at him? This thread is putting down guys who bench in shirts? The fact that Gene or Scott can hold over 1k in their hands deserves respect. Most people can't even squat that.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    If Mendy has the all time raw record, but I saw him bench 914 in a shirt and then take 2 cracks at 1008, should I admire and laugh at him? This thread is putting down guys who bench in shirts? The fact that Gene or Scott can hold over 1k in their hands deserves respect. Most people can't even squat that.
    914? in a contest? when??

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    It's great that a shirt can add 200lbs + to someones bench. How much you wanna bet I can add 1,000 lbs to my bench with a forklift? Shirts have no place in powerlifting and are the main reason it is now a dying sport. If it ain't raw, it ain't shit.

Lurch is offline New Member
    Mendy hit the 914 at the Cal APF State Meet down in Sherman Oaks or whatever city is called. It was at his gym. It was last Sunday, I took video footage of all 3 of his attempts. Just need to figure out how to post it now.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    If not the bench shirt then why the huge drop in the popularity of the sport? What has changed other than shirts becoming main stream. I downloaded the video clip of that 1,000 lb bench that someone had posted here a while back and took it to the gym with me on my laptop. I told some of the boys and before I knew it 15 or so of the younger guys were standing around watching the clip. Instead of astonishment and respect most if not all of them laughed! They commented on how the guy couldn't even move an inch in that shirt and the huge deal of 1,000 lb bench press was deminished to nothing by a bunch of kids that struggle with 225 for a few reps. On the occasions when I max out my bench and hit 505 or 515 for 1 rep they act amazed and it's the greatest thing in the world. Take these same kids and show them a 700lb bench and they will worship the guy like a god but show them 1,000 shirted bench and they laugh. It doesn't add up but that is just how the people view it.
    i couldn't agree more. way before i ever had any interest in powerlifting my friends and i have been making but of the powerlifters in the gym who come in like a gand of soccor hoolies, put on their biosuits, throw alot more weight than they can handle on the bar, put like 5 sets of bands on there, and then do singles like there's no other rep scheme you can train or something.

shit i've seen other guys come in and throw 500+ on the squat rack and then proceed to rep it 10-12 raw. if that guy is gonna train like ed coan to get his numbers up, good for him. but it just seems kinda pathetic for these guys who don't even have a repsectable base yet to train that way and in full gear.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19inchpythons
    Are shirts beneficial in powerlifting? Yes

Do the have a place in bodybuilding? Hell No
    wtf?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information