bigl67 is offline New Member

thinking about power lifting

right now iam 215 i don't know how much i can bench i do incline work up to 315@6 reps then flat dumbbells up to 150@8 reps squat405@10 reps 500@8 i haven't deadlift in about six months but when i did i only did 500@8 reps do you think i can compete with the big boys.
    thanks lift hard, eat big, and grow

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by bigl67
    right now iam 215 i don't know how much i can bench i do incline work up to 315@6 reps then flat dumbbells up to 150@8 reps squat405@10 reps 500@8 i haven't deadlift in about six months but when i did i only did 500@8 reps do you think i can compete with the big boys.
    thanks lift hard, eat big, and grow
    those are great numbers, but you need to get those reps lowered. you may not have much low-end (few reps) strength in proportion. that will help you gauge your strength better. how old are you?

iam 39 yrs old can you give me a sample routine to get me strong as hell!!!!

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by bigl67
    iam 39 yrs old can you give me a sample routine to get me strong as hell!!!!
    so many routines out there. got to find what works for you. Doc.Sust has posted a bunch of great routines in the PL forum here. Alot of guys I know like to keep it simple and old school with stuff like 3x3, 5x3, and 5x5 sets.

If you go to a gym dont get caught up in all the fancy machines and stuff, the biggest and strongest men of all time got there only with barbells and dumbbells.

I normally train 3 times per week, with sun or mon being bench, wed squat, and fri DL or row. if im training for bench only comps i usually will cut way back on DLs and bench twice a week instead, with one day being light or a shirt/no shirt pattern.

I try to always do something different on those days tho, like one week will be 5x5 close grip bench, next might be single rep with bands, then maybe a 20 rep, or incline day, etc, etc. same thing for squats and DL. it is kinda hard to get alot of variation for DL tho, i used to hurt my back until a top powerlifter told me never to exceed 5 reps in DL. havent had problems since. so high rep days are only for SQ and BP. I dont think the back muscles should ever be pumped really hard and driven to near failure. but still you have conventional, sumo, dynamic days, sub max days, max effort days, and then some weeks i do rows instead.

good luck and holla at me if you need help.

powerlifting

thanks bro i was gonna try that 5x5 reps a friend of mine told me about it

hey bro i just got off a cycle of test E@500mg for 12wks and drols for 6 wks i love test E thinking about running testE@250 drols 1ed and deca what you think its been 3wks i might wait 2 more. what else can i throw in the mix this is the time to get big and strong as hell winter time is my friend

thanks bro

Thread Information