Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 345
  1. #1
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761

    Talking Rugby vs Football

    I figured this might get a reaction but which do you think is a physically tougher sport?

  2. #2
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    probably football more runing and besides who cares about rugby anyway?!!

  3. #3
    Warrior's Avatar
    Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    6'0"/248lbs
    Posts
    7,129
    Oh shit! This is more of a Europe vs the States post! I have had this argument in Europe before...

    BTW... FOOTBALL!

  4. #4
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761
    Originally posted by maguilagorilla
    probably football more runing and besides who cares about rugby anyway?!!
    Most of your European and South African bros care about rugby!!!
    Much more running in rugby and much more physical

  5. #5
    sp9's Avatar
    sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Land of milk and honey.
    Posts
    3,585
    I will watch both. I am risk adverse and try like hell to keep away from injuries. Too many friends now with backs that hurt all the time and bad knees and many operations in thier 30's.

  6. #6
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    dude all i ever see happen is some blokes getting into scrubs or whatever you call it and then they run for like two feet and then the ref s blow their whisstle and thats it all the time! and not to mention they ruin those cooll shirts

  7. #7
    RoNNy THe BuLL's Avatar
    RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    I've played both and RUGBY by far. Little rest time, no equipment, hard hitting action, blindside tackles....by far, Rugggggggggggers are tougher!

  8. #8
    RoNNy THe BuLL's Avatar
    RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    Oh, and Rugby is way more fun. A more team-orientated sport. *GO RUGGERS*

  9. #9
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Originally posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    I've played both and RUGBY by far. Little rest time, no equipment, hard hitting action, blindside tackles....by far, Rugggggggggggers are tougher!
    Yeah
    In football you get 4 seconds play and 30 seconds rests, no way can that compare to rugby.

    And as far as rugby being a European sport...well in England, Scotland, Wales and France maybe. Otherwise id say South Africa, NZ and AU.

  10. #10
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    rugby shmugby! table tennis looks tougher!

  11. #11
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever2


    Especially New Zealand. It's also big in India & Packistan.
    NZ = New Zealand
    And i tryed to name the ones i know are good. Dont remember either of those 2 being a top team when i looked at the WC.

  12. #12
    123A's Avatar
    123A is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    123
    rugby by far

  13. #13
    ExpatHighlander is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sofia Bulgaria
    Posts
    13

    US VS Europe ?

    Bollocks to the US vs Europe thing. Ask Dan Lyle which is tougher as he has played both at both club and international level (Rugby).... he gives Rugby a big thumbs up !

  14. #14
    superbeast's Avatar
    superbeast is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north of the South, east
    Posts
    715
    Well, in the U.S., Rugby is for those that weren't good enough to play football. I don't know too many guys that thought they would play rugby and then when they sucked, they turned to football.



    SB

  15. #15
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    Originally posted by superbeast
    Well, in the U.S., Rugby is for those that weren't good enough to play football. I don't know too many guys that thought they would play rugby and then when they sucked, they turned to football.



    SB
    great answer!! hahahaha!!

  16. #16
    FaTbAcK's Avatar
    FaTbAcK is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    234
    True SB, also to add to that I dont see too many 6'3' 250 pound Lavar Arringtons in rugby, only a bunch of buck 0 fives running around head butting each other and crying for the red card...........Those who think Rugby is a better sport, never played the game of Football, American style......BTW did any of you blokes see the hit DArren Woodson put on Darrell Jackson, cripes man, that is brutal...the dude went into convulsions and shit.....Football by far folks.....

  17. #17
    Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Miller's Crossing
    Posts
    6,282
    Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    BTW did any of you blokes see the hit DArren Woodson put on Darrell Jackson, cripes man, that is brutal...the dude went into convulsions and shit.....Football by far folks.....

    That penalty was bullshit. That was a just a flat out hard football hit. These damn refs are f*cking up calling hits like that.
    Shouldn't have been called IMO

  18. #18
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761
    Originally posted by palme


    Yeah
    In football you get 4 seconds play and 30 seconds rests, no way can that compare to rugby.

    And as far as rugby being a European sport...well in England, Scotland, Wales and France maybe. Otherwise id say South Africa, NZ and AU.
    Agree about the South Africa thing My home country!!!

  19. #19
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761
    Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    True SB, also to add to that I dont see too many 6'3' 250 pound Lavar Arringtons in rugby, only a bunch of buck 0 fives running around head butting each other and crying for the red card...........Those who think Rugby is a better sport, never played the game of Football, American style......BTW did any of you blokes see the hit DArren Woodson put on Darrell Jackson, cripes man, that is brutal...the dude went into convulsions and shit.....Football by far folks.....
    The difference between the big boys of football and rugby is that in the majority,the big football players can only run or block for 5 seconds then they need to go get some oxygen on the sideline. Strange that football is ONLY played in the U.S. I do have respect for both but I'd say the edge definately goes to rugby in the toughness, fitness, prolonged play....well in every category I guess

  20. #20
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    Originally posted by Rugby13

    The difference between the big boys of football and rugby is that in the majority,the big football players can only run or block for 5 seconds then they need to go get some oxygen on the sideline. Strange that football is ONLY played in the U.S. I do have respect for both but I'd say the edge definately goes to rugby in the toughness, fitness, prolonged play....well in every category I guess
    really? what about the CFL and the euro leagues, those damn foreigners always trying to steal our stuff and they do play alot in the latin countries like mex salvador and guatemala.5 seconds! are you blind? those tackles and defensive players hardly get off the field! i dont see anyone in rugby having roles all they do is scrub most of the time kick the ball get tackled then scrub again and whats up with the scoring?shit ive seen better hits at a powder puff game!the fact that they dont wear gear just means they dont hit hard enough to warrant it!

  21. #21
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    Originally posted by Pheedno



    That penalty was bullshit. That was a just a flat out hard football hit. These damn refs are f*cking up calling hits like that.
    Shouldn't have been called IMO
    one word: BULLSHIT CALL!!!!!!! okay maybe two words.

  22. #22
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Originally posted by maguilagorilla
    really? what about the CFL and the euro leagues, those damn foreigners always trying to steal our stuff and they do play alot in the latin countries like mex salvador and guatemala.5 seconds! are you blind? those tackles and defensive players hardly get off the field! i dont see anyone in rugby having roles all they do is scrub most of the time kick the ball get tackled then scrub again and whats up with the scoring?shit ive seen better hits at a powder puff game!the fact that they dont wear gear just means they dont hit hard enough to warrant it!
    LOL
    Dont you steal sports from us? Soccer anyone?

    And the only reason they have gear on is b/c they think they look cool. No need for it imo.

  23. #23
    trimunex's Avatar
    trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,118
    Originally posted by Pheedno



    That penalty was bullshit. That was a just a flat out hard football hit. These damn refs are f*cking up calling hits like that.
    Shouldn't have been called IMO
    I agree, they need to let those boys play!

    9

  24. #24
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Originally posted by palme


    LOL
    Dont you steal sports from us? Soccer anyone?

    And the only reason they have gear on is b/c they think they look cool. No need for it imo.
    Ooh wait i forgot, they need the helmets and stuff to put all the microphone in...to inhance the sound.

  25. #25
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    Originally posted by palme


    LOL
    Dont you steal sports from us? Soccer anyone?

    And the only reason they have gear on is b/c they think they look cool. No need for it imo.
    nooooo!!! soccer was, im not gonna say invented here, but was first played by the mayas or was it the aztecs? well either way here in the americas it just hasnt been as popular in the us as anywhere else.i always thuoght soccer was for girls? well, anyways i could live without it.

  26. #26
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761
    The fact that football used to be played without AS MUCH protection just shows that the boys are soft now days. I can tell you this, there are more concussions and serious injuries from rugby than football. Football is way to technical I'm surprised they don't get help wiping their asses as well They get help with all the plays, don't they have coaches for every little facet of the game? They like robots, can't think for themselves. Also the fact that there like 30 players on the football team says they aren't as fit. If they get tired they just go get some oxygen while there are 5 other players backing them up. Don't get me wrong now, I'm generalizing, there are those football players that are as fit if not fitter but I'm talking general terms now.
    Do yourself a favor maguilagorilla, and go watch a LIVE rugby game, not one on T.V. And I'm talking about watching a team that can actually play. Hell maybe you should get in there and play as well You might change your mind.

  27. #27
    Ocnorb36's Avatar
    Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    147
    Rugby and American Football are both tough, physical sports. I actually enjoy both sports as a spectator and a participant. Football to the outsider is complicated, played by big men over short periods of time coached by a thousand men. For the more observant fan, and I mean FAN, not someone who thinks they know the game, football is an unfolding drama full of suspense, violence, momentum changes, emotion, highs, lows and every other human emotion imaginable.

    Football is a game of speed and strength at the pro level, period. If your definition of tough is good cardio shape then football has that. Try running a 30yard fly pattern only to have the QB sacked, run back 30yards, take 30 seconds to catch your breath, and then run a crossing route over the midde only to be smashed in the mouth by a hidden linebacker packing 265lbs of screaming mad muscle. Then get your ass up to go on a blocking assignment the next play. And that is just the WR position. For speed and strengh also see RB, QB, TE, and FB.

    You want short five second bursts, football has that. Yes, the lineman on the snap block men only weighing 295lbs on average (defensive) whose only desire is to get by you in four seconds or less and crush your QB. Think of the 60 to 80 yard drives where they must run and pass block play after play weighing 325lbs on average (offensive) for sometimes over 20 minutes (which in football time is 5 minutes). Compare it to lifting your max, racking the weight, resting 30 seconds and lifting your max again and going on like that 20 more times. Football is tough.

    You cannot understand football unless you have played the game. You cannot understand rugby unless you have played the game. There is no right or wrong. Both are tough. Playing both I would rather line up and play football if you want to be tough. Trust me, what goes on in football would put some people in prison for 5yrs plus on the street. That hit on Jackson is one example. The hit my boy Kennedy put on Chambers on Monday night is another. The shit that goes on on the bottom of a pile alone would land you overnight holding tank. You don't even see half the shit that goes on watching on TV or in person nor would you want too.

    My vote to football for toughness, heart, and fan viewing pleasure but only if you are a FAN and not an inexperienced observer. As always just my .02.

    Oc

  28. #28
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    I have acctualy played american football in a team as Running back. Thank you.

  29. #29
    Ocnorb36's Avatar
    Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    147
    Do you have organized football in Sweden?? What team did you play for?? Just curious. By the way I have a great respect for rugby (played it side by side with football in college) but I lean towards football as a "tougher" sport. The gear is necessary by the way to prevent death. Playing football for recreation is one thing but at the pro level with the speed and strength of the game today, without gear on people would die. Gear is to protect not to be cool.

    Oc

  30. #30
    Rugby13's Avatar
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    761
    Yeah people WOULD die in football BUT People DO die in rugby....My uncle was killed playing the game bro, and that was just one incident of many in the game. Was the rugby team you played on any good OC? I can tell you this...what goes on at the bottom of a scrum in rugby can be pretty brutal as well. Ever had your legs and face raked with metal studs?

  31. #31
    123A's Avatar
    123A is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    123
    Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    True SB, also to add to that I dont see too many 6'3' 250 pound Lavar Arringtons in rugby, only a bunch of buck 0 fives running around head butting each other and crying for the red card...........Those who think Rugby is a better sport, never played the game of Football, American style......
    FaTbAcK, i don't know where you got the idea about the crying red card bullshit from, and "bunch of buck 0 fives"???? ha! those who think Football is a better sport, never played SOUTH AFRICAN style rugby........bro

    IMO either rugby or football, the are both a game that are played by pro's, and there has been a number of SA rugby players that have gone over to USA and tried it out, the only way you can compare is.......
    the balls almost the same shape!

  32. #32
    Vegas Kid's Avatar
    Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,100
    I've played both and by far it's rugby. I'm currently a forward (prop) at South Carolina and let me tell you, rugby is tough as hell. Not only do we have to run more but the game really doesn't stop that much. We play 2-40 min halves with 10 min for halftime. Also there is no subing in and out, you go out, that's it, you ain't comming back in.

    As for size, I don't know what the hell you people are watching but at the pro level, those boys are BIG. The only skinny guys are the wings and they are like the recievers in football. We may not have 400lb lineman but our guys actually have to run and last the entire game, not just a couple of downs.

    We also play offense and defense! Injuries are much more prevelant than in football. We also have the greatest parties on the planet.

    BTW, NFL teams have tried to recruit many rugby players in the past and the ruggers have stayed with rugby. It's not about the money for them, more about pride.

    Go play rugby and then come back to comment.

  33. #33
    123A's Avatar
    123A is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    123
    P.S.
    and about the microphon thing in the "helmet", why?
    can't you guys remember the play the coach told you in the changeroom at beginning of play?
    and if one of your guys gets to run the ball 30 metres, hes a national champion!
    6'3' 250lbs???? how about 7'2' 290lbs scrum half, and he can run further than 30 metres trust me.....

  34. #34
    123A's Avatar
    123A is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    123
    sorry......390lbs Kobus Visser, look him up, not a small fellow

  35. #35
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    i'll try an get some rugby games in but,my little sister already said she has too many players!!hahaha..........hey rugby13 iv known guys that have died playint tag,so the fact that some one dies during a sport dont mean its tuogh it just something that happened. i just think football a harder sport from what i see on tv.

  36. #36
    FaTbAcK's Avatar
    FaTbAcK is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    234
    I've played rugby and was bored with it....no playbook at all, and very basic strategy. It is a very physical sport, but Im sorry Football is WAY MORE demanding on the MIND, BODY, PSYCHI.

    I play Div I football, and our offensive and defensive playbook is about 215 pages full of different schemes and blitzes. You rugby guys claim that you have ONE monster at 390, try playing on the field with 11 dudes that can ALL bench 400+ and squat a bus, and run at least a 4.8 forty, and in some cases a 265 pounder that runs a sub 4.4, that is a wrecking ball bros, look up Newtons Law and come tell me that doesnt surpass what is probale....

    Seriously folks, Football is an awesome thing....


    Oh yeah and Palme, we wear pads and helmets because we are smarter...not weaker.

    Bottom line is you don't see Rugby raking in cash like Football. It is all about supply and demand, and obviously the people HERE IN AMERICA have spoken.......Football, deal with it bra's!!!

  37. #37
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    i only played high school football, went as far as bi-district then got pounded by corpus christie, anyway thats another story,besides if that guy ross from "friends" can play rugby how hard could it be?hehe ill try and finbd a rugby league or game here locally i doubt i will be able to but ill give it a go, who knows maybe those rugby players can also show me how to crochet,sew,and vacuum, and i can show them a real sport(football)

  38. #38
    palme's Avatar
    palme is offline Rosie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,649
    Originally posted by Ocnorb36
    Do you have organized football in Sweden?? What team did you play for?? Just curious. By the way I have a great respect for rugby (played it side by side with football in college) but I lean towards football as a "tougher" sport. The gear is necessary by the way to prevent death. Playing football for recreation is one thing but at the pro level with the speed and strength of the game today, without gear on people would die. Gear is to protect not to be cool.

    Oc

    We have, it´s not that popular but it is there

    Oc - I played in high school. A friends dad was coaching and i tryed out and liked it so much that joined in. I love to play it but watching it gets boring, but that might be cause we dont have the same tradition as you guys do. My old teammates acctualy train at my gym.

    Fatback - im well aware that the pads and helmet are important! Was just making a joke but i guess i wasnt funny...

  39. #39
    maguilagorilla's Avatar
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    440
    Originally posted by palme



    We have, it´s not that popular but it is there

    Oc - I played in high school. A friends dad was coaching and i tryed out and liked it so much that joined in. I love to play it but watching it gets boring, but that might be cause we dont have the same tradition as you guys do. My old teammates acctualy train at my gym.

    Fatback - im well aware that the pads and helmet are important! Was just making a joke but i guess i wasnt funny...
    hey this whole thread is funny ...i mean who really would think rugby is tuogher than football, yoiu guys are probably just bored cuzz everyone knows football is tuogher

  40. #40
    Vegas Kid's Avatar
    Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,100
    There's no doubt that football rakes in more money and that it's more complicated than rugby, but that's not the discussion here.

    The point is, we have rugby year round, we don't wear pads, we obviously spend more time on the field than football players and that is why IMO, rugby is a more phsically demanding sport.

    I'm sure the Univ of Texas has a rugby team you guys can go play for, I think they are one of the best around.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •