Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Rugby13 is offline Member
    Originally posted by superbeast
    Well, in the U.S., Rugby is for those that weren't good enough to play football. I don't know too many guys that thought they would play rugby and then when they sucked, they turned to football.

SB
    Like whoever said, the NFL have tried to recruit a lot of rugby players in the past. And you can't compare the two anyway, it's like saying if you not good at table tennis you play tennis or boxing then try wrestling. Don't work bro. Because you not good at one doesn't mean you'll suck at the other. Come on now!!!

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by palme
    Buff you mah bro but a football player would be owned by a rugby player.

I don't know brother.... I'd have to see it to believe it... There are quite a few NFL pros that I'd put up against any rugby player...

Rugby13 I'll say one thing bro... I don't really agree with you, but this thread has been around for awhile, so IMO it's a good one to still be going strong... I still say NFL Players would dominate you rugby bums...
    Last edited by Jack87; 11-06-2002 at 07:26 PM.

Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    try playing on the field with 11 dudes that can ALL bench 400+ and squat a bus, and run at least a 4.8 forty, and in some cases a 265 pounder that runs a sub 4.4, that is a wrecking ball bros

My point exactly

Originally posted by buff87

Rugby13 I'll say one thing bro... I don't really agree with you, but this thread has been around for awhile, so IMO it's a good one to still be going strong... I still say NFL Players would dominate you rugby bums...
    It has been an entertaining thread hasn't it and I think it will always be up for debate. No doubt in my mind rugby is the tougher of the two though

oh yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't often see those big boys in football getting injured. It's always the running backs, QB's or wide receivers because they the one taking the hits. Those big line backers just fall against each other. They never take any big hits. Yeah they big but they just act as a wall. They might can dish out pain but they can't take it. You see...in rugby you need to be able to take the pain as well!!!

123A is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by palme
    Buff you mah bro but a football player would be owned by a rugby player.
    ROFLMAO
    sorry, Buff aswell bro, i couldn't resist.....

Originally posted by Hollow
    Larry Allen, an NFL Lineman, benches 700 pounds...let me do my math.....that's making 3 rugby players his bitch all at once
    BUT, Hollow... you didn't mention the rugby player standing behind Larry Allen,spotting him, slapping his ass, shouting..."who's your daddy?!?"

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Rugby13
    oh yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't often see those big boys in football getting injured. It's always the running backs, QB's or wide receivers because they the one taking the hits. !

Take a look at the Cowboys this season. They've had seven injuries and seven adjustments on their offesnsive line so far. Larry Allen(the man mentioned above, and also the best at his position in the NFL) has tried to play 7 games this season only to be taken out after a couple of plays stemming from an injury from preseason.
    Yes, QB's, RB's, WR are the most seceptible to injury but with a thousand Lb O-line going upp against an 800Lb D-line, injuries can occur more than you might think.

On the subject of Rugby Vs Football. I've never watched a rugby game so I couldn't comment.

Originally posted by 123A

BUT, Hollow... you didn't mention the rugby player standing behind Larry Allen,spotting him, slapping his ass, shouting..."who's your daddy?!?"

Funny Shit... OK bro you win the debate with that line... Buff is out of this one...

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    123a can you make it to watch the game NZ vs ENG it will be on inabout 5HRS and 45MINS which is 5:30pm your time should be a good one the local bookies are backing england $1.05 to NZ $2.25 to win HAHA......HITMAN

KrashRoute is offline Associate Member
    This is a bullshit question cause any true athlete will give it his all every sec every play so he should undoubtedly be spent by games end no mater what the sport. Only thing I can say is that there is alot more goin on in football. Its a much more complicated game in my eyes. Try and remember a hundred diff plays in all their variations with all the correct audables and adjustments to formation.

HITMAN.... did SA get carrots this weekend or what, by FRANCE??? how rude.. HAHA i wish i bet against ENGLAND... i couldn't beleive it!!!!!

NZ and SA rugby bow there heads in shame.....

hell man theres some strange shit happening i mean our league team beats great britain, our all blacks lose to england and the boks lose to france WTF is going on?.......but hey jonah scored twice lol.........HITMAN

I couldn't beleive the game on saturday, i'm starting to beleive everybody about how nothern hemisphere rugby is a totally new game... on saturday it looked like it, the french were all over us, i didn't even watch the game finished, it sucked.
    i watched highlights of NZ yesterday, jonah DID have a good game though, but you needed at least onther three of him lol... i'm telling you, i don't know wat to say, well, at least we can still play cricket, we gave srlanka a hiding yesterday, do you follow cricket HIT?

Don't forget about Ireland beating Australia for the first time. Crappy day for southern hemisphere rugby.....damn!!

Originally posted by KrashRoute
    This is a bullshit question cause any true athlete will give it his all every sec every play so he should undoubtedly be spent by games end no mater what the sport. Only thing I can say is that there is alot more goin on in football. Its a much more complicated game in my eyes. Try and remember a hundred diff plays in all their variations with all the correct audables and adjustments to formation.
    Firstly this is a BS answer bro... try answering the question. I don't remember asking which game was more complicated. I asked which was the tougher. So come back and try again ok...later
    Secondly who do you think would be more tired. A guy playing all out for 80 minutes or a guy playing all out for about 25 mins (give or take a few minutes a football player actually spends on the field DOING SOMETHING productive) I rest my case. I think 80 minutes will tire me out a little more. Have a good day bro!!!

Well mate i dont follow cricket religiously(sp) or anything but i will watch it, not that NZ has much cricket at the mo because they are having pay disputes.They want a 60% increase which takes some of them to approx $260,000 a year , now they could justify that if they were any good but the fact of the matter is WE SUCK AT CRICKET. And rugby13 i had forgotten about the aussies, i think we are getting to complacent and the "underdogs" are stepping up a gear hell it could be a crazy combination like papa new guinea VS india in the world cup final..........HITMAN

SHIT, and india won!!! lol. i forgot about australia (do you blame me?!) HITMAN, NZ cricket side is not a team to take to lightly, no sucking up or anything, but i really enjoy watching any NZ team playing, be it cricket or rugby, but i dispise austrlia, i'll support any team palying against aussie and sport, anyday.
    but it looks like all southern rugby sides got a fat wakeup call this last weekend... it shows, never under estimate (sp)
    but i'd rather lose to France, who were the world cup winners, than ireland, hey.... i'm proud of ireland, it must of been a humdinger of a match

So i take it you dont like aussie LOL. Hey we play france this sunday 08:45 NZ time and cristian cullan is back on the team so it should be a real good one. Im thinking of going down to the local pub cause they are opening at 08:00 and having a champagne which consists of bacon, eggs and a pint of lager.Do the test matches get to you live or delayed or do you have a pay per view system?.......HITMAN

just a little all games SA games are shown live via satalite, then any other games is shown on other channel, sometimes live sometimes delayed, we don't have this pay per veiw system thing ere??? remember we are in deep dark africa, LOL, but i'll see the listings for the the NZ vs FRANCE game, i haven't got a clue who we are playing this weekend, i'll check today.
    the last time i went down to the pub for an early morning game, AUST vs SA, i only left 9 that night.....i'm still scared of that day

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by KrashRoute
    By no means a bullshit answer, he is absolutely right that every athlete will give 100% every game no matter what sport or game it is. Other then that we really are comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying rugby guys aren't tough or anything and running the whole feild isn't hard, and i don't even know everything about rugby.

But football in america is the sport to play, if u are the best soccer player on your team, the fastest person on the track team, the best pitcher in baseball, an allstar in basketball, a hardcore weightlifter, then chances are that u are also a football player. It happens every where in america, the football team takes the best player in every single sport and puts em in pads. I would bet that alot of times in europe that some of the talent in rugby may go to soccer instead, being that soccer and rugby really aren't too different. My point, american football gets the best of the best athletes. THere was once an olympian gold medalist track guy on the cowboys. In the last olympics, there were actually a few college football players competing in the last olympics in track.

This is my main point. Rugby is very very tough. But the type of athletes that play in american football are genetic freaks, these are the best in america, u will not see another olympics without at least a few american football players competing in the olympics. I am in college, i guarantee u will not see a lineman under 6'4 and this is a college player. Now in America we're seeing these linebackers running 4.4s or less 40yd and they still weigh 250lbs of pure muscle, thats an average linebacker.

Every time someone brings up rugby, they say"rugby players run the entire game with no break and no subs". Thats tough, i know,i'm a soccer player. Would u rather run 20 miles(rugby) or run 20 miles of windsprints(football)?both are very tough.

I think most rugby guys would be surprised if they found out that there used to be no pads in football. The sport was in danger of being banned if pads were not implemented by the order of the president. Personally, i beleive that pads really do lead to more injurys though. It sounds funny, and its hard to explain, but i really do beleive its true.

Well i probably wrote too much, and most ppl will probably just ignore this but oh well.

Bottom line: Football and Rugby,equally tough. If u want to know who is the overall better athlete, the football player is, the men playing football today are simply freaks, i know there are quite a few in rugby, but a football coach won't even look at u if u are not a freak of nature. This is the norm in football.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    the avg LB aint runnin a legit 4.4, not many at all.

Originally posted by TestTubeBaby
    the avg LB aint runnin a legit 4.4, not many at all.
    The ones that aren't are on the bench.

Originally posted by saboudian

I would bet that alot of times in europe that some of the talent in rugby may go to soccer instead, being that soccer and rugby really aren't too different.

rugby and soccer are nothing alike bru.

but, too true, any sports person wil give his best at what ever sport, and depending how you look at it, both games are tough.

it would also be interesting to see america football played at an international level such a rugby i.e. just today alone, we have South Africa, New Zealand, England, Ireland, Australia, France and Wales playing, and i can assure you not one of those players are not going to give his best.

Originally posted by 123A
    it would also be interesting to see america football played at an international level such a rugby i.e. just today alone, we have South Africa, New Zealand, England, Ireland, Australia, France and Wales playing
    Do you find it crazy when whoever wins the superbowl call themselves the WORLD CHAMPS!!! come on now guys, who the hell else plays football.....
    but yes I will agree football and rugby are both tough but this will never come to an end. Each to his own. For me......RUGBY is tougher.

Originally posted by saboudian

I would bet that alot of times in europe that some of the talent in rugby may go to soccer instead, being that soccer and rugby really aren't too different.
    Bro your earlier statement about you not knowing much about rugby was right on. If you think rugby and soccer are similar you know NOTHING about rugby.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    on and off the bench, they couldnt run a LEGIT 4.4

Ex_banana-eater is offline Junior Member
    hear the jonah is leaving NZ for UK? http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2113578a10,00.html
    i never knew.. but then again this stuff isn't on too much where i live. anyone hear of the pacific pride rugby team in canada?

GRRRRRRR soccer fuck myabe i shouldnt responsed cuase ive had a copu;s of beers but sccor is nothing lik rugby fucjlk in scooer you kick the ball and in rugby you run with the ball, big difrence,And ruhby i think you just served soubian his as on a plate but at least he said rugby was as tough as football wcich is treu .I dont think well ever get to the bottom of this and had a difffenitive answer so lets say thewy are both tough.oh and johana is not leacing the all bkacks or NZ its all shit just like when he cwas joining the is it philidelhia diohnins it never happened.......HITMAN

hey, hit, had a couple there bro???? hehe!

Well looks like i stepped on some toes, my bad. The reason i said rugby and soccer are similar i guess probably aren't the best ones. They both require lil or no subs on a long field with continuous play with very few planned plays. I think and i'm probably wrong again, but here goes. The only difference in rugby and soccer is that rugby is obviously a rougher sport while soccer requires more agility. However they both require toughness and agility, which i can see in many soccer players which in my eyes could play rugby but chose to play soccer instead.(and vice versa) Being that these 2 sports are popular in Europe, i could see some rugby talent lost to soccer. that was my point.

This is my lil secret i stole from rugby. I used to have a pair of screw-ins for rainy soccer games. The shoes i had actually had room for 11 screw-ins on each shoe(didaora morpho i think), one day i saw these rugby studs, and god damn they're fucking huge, so luck had it that they actually fit my soccer shoes. The best games i had with em, Lots of ppl slidetackle in the rain, i would simple jump up and purposely land on them and make sure it hurts. Seeing the look on their face everytime still gives my teammates and i laughs. Even simply stepping on someone's feet was fun. These studs actually are illegal in soccer, but non of the refs actually knew the ruling, so i was able to wear them for 2 years. Thats one reason i will always love rugby

hey, sab, now imagine someone with "those" studs in, trying to ruck the ball out, while you are lieing over it (ball) to keep posetion, while the ref is on the blind side and can't see a thing, and this happens almost every lose scrum, you can't move, and plus 5 other players lieing on top of you, trying to grab at the ball, pocking your eyes, biteing, punching, kicking and rucking all at he same time, all you can do, is try and get a look at his number he is wearing, and be patient and wait, cause u'll have your turn at him....
    my first game at school rugby, i got 7 stiches across the eyebrow form a lose scrum, i love rugby....

Please excuse my earlier statements gentlemen i had partaken in a few alcoholic beverages and was under due influence LOL yeah allright i was pissed as fuck.Hey sab in all honesty i cant say ive ever heard of a rugby player swapping codes and playing soccer or viser versa but i could be wrong.123 i remember i was playing school boys rugby and the high school we were playing there was no love lost anyway there hooker and myself were pinned upright in a scrum with our arms down to our sides unable to move and all i could feel was some cunt kicking at my legs and judging by the way there hooker was moving it had to be him so i lent backwards as far as i could go and lurched forward hitting that bastard squire in the nose with my head knocking him senseless.I thought that was that but his brother thought he would seek revenge and how, im in the middle of the scrum and this boot hits me right in the mouth and this was before they outlawed pointed sprigs needless to say i could breath out of the gash he left.Ahhh the memories i dont think my body could withstand that punishment any more but you gotta love it.....HITMAN

"i'm not as think as you drunk i am!!" hey, HIT...LOL, to true, if i think about it, school boy rugby was the time... but to be able to do that again right now, you gotta be kidding, you didn't think you just did! (the woman says i still think like that sometimes hehe)
    i have played a lot of sports, but never found a game yet that is as physical (s/p) as rugby, even at school level.
    p.s. i have never heard of a soccer play moving to rugby or either.... i rate sab, your oppinion is wrong about rugby bro

HITMAN.... I FORGOT TO TELL YOU........ EVEN SCOTLAND?!?!? WTF????

Southern hemisphere rugby is so freaking bad right now. I think all three teams were just to dman arrogant the whole time thinking they were the untouchables!!!!
    Anyway here's my rugby story:
    Ok firstly my dad's brother got kicked in the head and died in a college game so I'm even surprised the old man let me play let alone him be the coach. I guess he felt better knowing he was coaching me.
    Anyway I was in 11th grade playing 1st XV and I found myself lying at teh bottom of a loose ruck when a boot from I have no idea who caught me across the top of my right eye. Next time I wake up I'm in the back of a minibus on the way to hospital with a woman pricking my big toe with a pin to see if I was paralized. It was just a serious concussion though. Needless to say my old man and the ref had it out cause my dad (coach) was standing right next to it when it happened. Nothing like school-boy rugby!!!

I never said rugby wasn't tough, i said the rugby guys are even with the football. My point was that the current football players in america are better athletes, largely in part due to genetics.

better athletes for AMERICAN football only!!

and what do you mean "largely in part due to genetics" ??

Genetics???? Now there's a lot of crap. Maybe due to better technology and advanced medical research but gentics??? NO WAY!!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information