MShine is offline New Member

Doc Sust- Lower Back Tear?

Hey Doc Sust, I am a physiology student competitive in Strongman and Powerlifting. I dont know whether I have torn my back or herniated a disc. I have had pain now for at least one month from deadlifting, I felt a sharp pain when pulling and then had trouble walking the next five days. I have pain in my knee (anterior) right below the patella due to that, I haven't really taken much time off from the weights. It has improved, but the thought of a herniated disc is scaring me. Stretching seems to aggravate it.

Thanks for being the physician in charge on this board!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    hey man, i have done this same injury to myself at least four times squating and deadlifting, first off what form do you use to deadlift? also does the pain in your knee radiate from the lower back? and weakness, numbness and tingling? if not chances are its just a sever sprain strain of the lumbar spine,only way to be sure is an MRI, if i was you i would wait and see how it progresses, how long ago did it happen?

MShine is offline New Member
    I used the standard form of Deadlifting. It doesn't radiate down the leg, if the pain in the back is present, the knee pain also is present 90% of the time. Yesterday after doing some Farmers Walks, I was unable to feel the back but mostly just the knee pain. odd! I have really really tight hamstrings too, this might be the cause of the injury... not sure.

A good Chiro is hard to find in my area, sports MDs will tell me the same thing (Ice it when it hurts and Work it lightly when it doesnt). If it gets worse I will ask for an MRI but it seems to be getting better. Can a bulged disc be this serious?

Thanks

Mshine

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    usually not, i realy don't thinks it has abything to do with the discs,protrusions or herniations

Thread Information