Tommy Gunn is offline Member

This past Monday I had my distal clavicle resection surgery

I'm 27 years old. I'm 6' 245 wth alot of body fat. I am a former amateur boxer (not that great, record was 2-2). I had a distal clavicle resection on my right shoulder where he removed 12 mm of my AC joint. I also had arthroscopic exploratory surgery on that shoulder where, in addition to doing the AC joint excision, they removed a bone spur near the acromion and scar tissue near the AC joint. I had no arthritis of the AC joint but my doc felt it was necessary to do the AC joint excision so if scar tissue were to reform or a bone spur were to develop it wouldn't aggravate the AC joint. So that's why he did the procedure.

I have been doing codmans, taking Motrin, and icing since the day after the surgery. On Weds. May 16, 2007 my doc removed the steristrips and stitches where the portals to the scope were inserted. He also took a post op xray and said the xray looked good. He said as of Monday May 21, 2007 I can stop doing the codmans and can start going to physical therapy for 4 weeks to get all of my ROM back.

I would very much like to get back into weightlifting and amateur boxing again. Here is the timeline my doc and PT laid out for me:

1. Monday May 7, 2007 had AC joint excision surgery

2. Monday May 21, 2007 (2 weeks post op) start ROM PT. Do for 4 weeks.

3. Monday June 18, 2007 (6 weeks post op) start rotator cuff strenghtening PT. Do for 4 weeks.

4. Monday July 16, 2007 (10 weeks post op) start light weightlifting. Do for 4 weeks.

5. Monday August 13, 2007 (14 weeks post op) start boxing training.

Is there anybody here who has had this surgery and can tell me what I'm in store for? Will I ever be able to lift weights again? Will I ever be able to box again? I'm in alot of pain now since the surgery especially when I use the shoulder to do certain motions. It also hurts to sleep on that side. How long until the pain goes away? Will the pain EVER go away? Also, can anyone who has had this surgery give me a relative timeline for recovery and rehab? If anyone who has had this surgery or is familiar with this surgery can please help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a nervous wreck.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 05-17-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Kimo27 is offline Associate Member
    wow man ive read your situation all i say is that i hope you get better and recover strong, keep strong man and god bless.

Thanks bro.

Typer is offline New Member
    Be strong bro.

I'm after knee surgery - my doctors told me "no more squats......"

I didn't gave up and still doing my squats.

Don't give up!

musclemd is offline New Member
    Keep at it bro!!

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I have researched this topic... You should be able to get back to your max bench presses within 6 months... so hang in there... train around the area as much as you can so you dont completely fall off the bangwagon

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    I have researched this topic... You should be able to get back to your max bench presses within 6 months...
    Where did you read that? I probably won't even be able to lift weights at all for 6 months let alone get back to my previous poundages.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane
    ...train around the area as much as you can so you dont completely fall off the bangwagon
    I'm almost 3 weeks post op and there's no way I could even imagine starting lifting right now at 3 weeks post op. The thing that scares me is I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I can't even do a front raise MOTION or a pec deck fly MOTION (not even the lifts, just the motion KILLS) without being in extreme pain.

Why is that? Is it because scar tissue has not formed yet where the AC joint was and the two ends of raw bone are rubbing against tisues? How long until the scar tissue forms where the AC joint was and how long until the raw bone heals?

Is there a chance my doc could've botched my surgery? He looked at the post op xrays and said everything looked good...but I'm starting to wonder.

I deeply regret having this surgery. The pain I have now is 100 times worse than before surgery.

I had some bad luck. The other day I was working security and did my absolute best to avoid any possible physical scenario. Well sure enough I had to physically restrain someone to stop them from assaulting a female staff member. Could not be avoided at all. I had to wrestle around and it lasted a couple of minutes. Immediately thereafter I felt my AC joint was EXTREMELY SORE AND INFLAMMED. Right after the incident I took the day off and went right to my doctor. He said all I probably did was cause the AC joint to become inflammed. He doesn't think I did any permanent damage and he doesn't think I did anything that will prevent me from returning to weightlifting or boxing one day. In fact he said there is no way I could've done permanent damage because he didn't repair anything when he did the last surgery. He said the reason why it was inflammed is because I used the arm very aggressively too soon (only 3 weeks post op). He said at this time there is no scar tissue present where the excised AC joint was so therefore the raw bone is rubbing up against the acromion with no cushioning in between. Also there is still raw bone there from where he cut.
    He said it takes a couple months for that scar tissue to form.

Is my doc right...Did I just irritate and inflame it, or do you guys think I did permanent damage? What do you think?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 05-29-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Typer is offline New Member
    I think You will be fine - I had the same problems with my knee 3 weeks after the surgery.But it wasn't a permanent damage.From my experience I can say You will need some about one year to feel confident and comfortable with your shoulder.

The question is - what can happen with Your shoulder if You will get the same troubles at work again and again?

Anyone wanna share their 'distal clavicle resection experiences'?

Also, have any of you fellas who have had this surgery ever trained in boxing or MMA after your surgery? Basically what I'm asking is, will I ever be able to throw a punch again pain free? Will I ever be able to train in boxing again? That means throwing lots and lots of punches on a 150 lbs. heavybag 5 days a week. Will I ever be able to do that again? If my surgery was on May 7, 2007, what month will I be able to go back to full speed ahead-no holding back-balls to the wall boxing training?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 06-03-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Thread Information