dr.shred is offline Senior Member

acetly-l-carnitine or l-carnitine?

I was wondering what everyone thought was better acetly-l-carnitine of l-carnitine? I have heard by a few bbers that acetyl was, but then when i read about it said more things about improving memory than fat burning. L-carnitine liquid (the one i was taking) said spec. for fat burning. I have been using acetyl powder now. Anyone have any opinions or know the difference between the two?

-SHRED

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt bank on carnitine doing much of anythign for fat burning. I prefer ALCAR for its nueroprotective benefits, energy, and the affect it has on clearing "brain fog".

bump

btw l-carnitine has been proven to reduce bf just wondering which one is better?

Carnitine supplementation fails to maximize fat mass loss induced by endurance training in rats.

Saldanha Aoki M, Rodriguez Amaral Almeida AL, Navarro F, Bicudo Pereira Costa-Rosa LF, Pereira Bacurau RF.

Institute of Biomedical Sciences, USP, Sao Paulo, Brazil. [email protected]

BACKGROUND/AIMS: Carnitine is a co-factor of the enzymatic system involved in long chain fatty acid transport across the mitochondrial membrane. This physiological role of carnitine raised the hypothesis that this compound could act as a 'fat burner' by optimizing fat oxidation and consequently reducing its availability for storage. Our aim was to verify whether carnitine supplementation could maximize fat mass loss in trained rats. METHODS: Male Wistar rats (200 g) were divided into four groups: control (C), sedentary supplemented (S), trained (T) and trained supplemented (TS). The training protocol consisted of bouts of swimming exercise (60 min x day(-1)) for 6 weeks. During the last 14 days, before sacrifice, the supplemented groups received a daily dose of 28 mg x kg(-1) of L-carnitine. Carcass fat content, weight and fat content of adipose tissues were evaluated in all experimental groups. RESULTS: Our results indicate that carnitine feeding, per se, failed to promote fat mass loss. Endurance training successfully induced a decrease in the fat content in the carcass (28%) and the weight of adipose tissues (retroperitoneal and mesenteric depots by 41 and 20%, respectively) in comparison to C. Despite the augmented carnitine content in the soleus mitochondria (2-fold) observed in TS, the higher content did not maximize the fat loss induced by endurance training. CONCLUSIONS: Our data strongly suggest that endurance training, rather than carnitine content, is the major factor involved in fat mass loss. Copyright 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel

PMID: 14988638 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

L-Carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women.

Villani RG, Gannon J, Self M, Rich PA.

Department of Human Biology and Movement Science, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Victoria, 3083, Australia.

L-Carnitine (L-C) transports fatty acids into mitochondria for oxidation and is marketed as a weight loss supplement. In a double-blind investigation to test the weight loss efficacy of L-C, 36 moderately overweight premenopausal women were pair matched on Body Mass Index (BMI) and randomly assigned to two groups (N = 18). For 8 weeks the L-C group ingested 2 g twice daily of L-C, while the placebo (P) group ingested the same amount of lactose. All subjects walked for 30 min (60-70% maximum heart rate) 4 days/week. Body composition, resting energy expenditure (REE) and substrate utilization were estimated before and after treatment. For the subjects who completed the study (15 P, 13 L-C), no significant changes in mean total body mass (TBM), fat mass FM, and resting lipid utilization occurred over time, nor were there any significant differences between groups for any variable. Conversely REE increased significantly for all subjects, but no between group differences existed. Five of the L-C group experienced nausea or diarrhea and consequently did not complete the study. Eight weeks of L-C ingestion and walking did not significantly alter the TBM or FM of overweight women, thereby casting doubt on the efficacy of L-C supplementation for weight loss.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial
    * Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 10861338 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

not sure i believe that. I have used it and it works wonders and know many that have used it with great results. If you go to any supplement website they site l-carnitine is being responsible for helping reduce bf.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    not sure i believe that. I have used it and it works wonders and know many that have used it with great results. If you go to any supplement website they site l-carnitine is being responsible for helping reduce bf.
    thats because they sell it

buit if you feel it works for you go for it. I would use acetyl l carnitine
    Last edited by prolangtum; 03-06-2005 at 10:36 PM.

Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired
    So as far as fat loss is concered this stuff is a joke? Poop I have a kilo of it!

well, the verdict is really out. IMO, dont rely on it as the only fat loss supplement in your arsenal. It has many more benefits beyond fat loss.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    bump

btw l-carnitine has been proven to reduce bf just wondering which one is better?
    i read it was proven NOT to reduce bf and have no effect on it

just a thought

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Acetyl L-carn helps w/ fatty acit xportation just like L-carn but ActL works to preserve the myelin sheaths on ur lil neuro's and wat nots and help crucial nutrients pass the blood brain barrior.. there by helping to prevent alzheimerz...
    but mad doses of ActL makes me sweat ><

spell check anyone?

Swole33 is offline Junior Member
    ive started subcutaneous Carnintine injections as well and IM, and have experienced alittle weight loss and Dramatic increase in my energy levels

sub q vs oral is a whole differnet ball game

Thread Information