KingJames23 is offline Associate Member

Almost died taking niacin!!!!! HELP!

I took 1000 mg of this stuff at 500 mg a pill. I got it from GNC. Well i took it because ive read superdrol kills the blood lipid profile. Well my body had a alerigiv reaction or something. My whole body turned bright red, it felt like i had 3rd degree burn running through my entire body. I had to go to the emergency room where they gave me stuff, i dont remember what, They said i almost had a stroke and stuff.

Does anybody know why niacin would cause such a reaction on my body. I thought this stuff was healthy lol

GQSuperman is offline Banned

normal

its normal. whenever i take it, i also get the niacin flush and my skin turns red for around 30 minutes.

whats the average dosage of this stuff?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You have to get No-Flush Niacin. You experience a Niacin flush.

KingJames23 is offline Associate Member
    a niacin flush? They told me i was having an alergic reaction and if i kept having it i would have a stroke.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    This is common with Niacin, that's why they make No-Flush Niacin

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJames23
    a niacin flush? They told me i was having an alergic reaction and if i kept having it i would have a stroke.

.......They are woefully incorrect. An allergic reaction is characterized by hives (raised bumps and wheals all over the body). More severe reactions include bronchospasm and extreme difficulty breathing.
    You just got the "niacin flush", which is skin redness and an itching/burning sensation on the skin. Time-release niacin will do you much better, or you can start wih a low dosage of niacin (200mg or so) and ramp up to the higher dosages.

GQSuperman is offline Banned

just another example

of how doctors are often wrong. its scary how much mis-information is distributed. if you don't research things on your own, they are likely to kill you.

case in point...i broke my ankle six weeks ago and my doctor said i tore ligaments (caused the bruising and swelling). she told me to ice for three days and elevate and take ibu. i insisted on xrays (despite her not wanting to) and asked for a brace/crutch, but she said i'd have to buy my own. turns out it was broken, but she would have been content sending me on my merry way.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJames23
    I think you went to a quack!

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flexin-rph
    I think you went to a quack!
    Agreed. First time I took Niacin I felt like I was going to burst into flames! REAllly bizarre stuff.

Next time you want to scare the bejesus out of someone, sneak the stuff into their beer or something. Then start saying, "Gee, you look awful, are you feeling all right?"

furboy is offline New Member
    Hey there,

I'm a cardiologist and niacin is a great drug/sup. Take a full strength aspirin 30 minutes before niacin and it helps with the flushing.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    thi si normal. look up niacin.

Get the form inositol Hexonicotate. That will not give you a flush. DO NOT get Niacinamide. Niacinamide while technically vitamin b3 is NOT any good at helping blood lipids. Niacinimide is great for insulin sensitivity and joints, but thats it. You have to get either regular niacin or inostial hexanicotate. My spelling might be off.
    AVOID time realeased niacin. Reprts on this stuff say liver damage is a big concern. especially with a dose strong enough for lipid profile improvement.
    Take 1500-200mg a day for lipids.

i think we should have a sticky on niacin. Ppl are always thinking they are dying on this stuff and its harmless.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Nonflush Niacin isn't as effective as regular at helping HDL levels. Not by a long shot. I can't believe you put something in your body without researching it first. Not to smart. Lesson learned I am sure.

yakabebe is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by furboy
    Hey there,

I'm a cardiologist and niacin is a great drug/sup. Take a full strength aspirin 30 minutes before niacin and it helps with the flushing.
    If it stops the flushing does it not then stop or limi t the effect of heightening the vascularity effect you were hoping for???

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yakabebe
    If it stops the flushing does it not then stop or limi t the effect of heightening the vascularity effect you were hoping for???
    No. The skin flush actually is caused by a realease of histamine. Vascularity is increased by a different process. So you dont need the skin flush for vascularity. But im not sayin get the no flush niacin. Like another said, the regular niacin is the best for lipids. As i said for niacinamide, it does nothing for lipids or vascularity. No flush niacin helps the lipds somehat, but not as dramatically as reg.
    No flush niacin....im not sure its affect on vascularity.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 10-02-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Thread Information