TOTHEEND is offline Junior Member

adding strength to shoulders

hey guys my shoulders r really laging they r too weak relative to other body part. i was thinking of having my shoulder day with legs since i was told leg workouts increase natural test or growth hormones plus i usually eat more on leg days . im on a cutting diet by the by and dont know what to do.. u guys think its a good idea: legs and shoulders
    thanx

Darkness is offline Member
    You wanna increase shoulders then do them on monday just by them selves.

decadbal is offline Banned
    heavy and dont over train

qccat is offline Associate Member
    try to incorporate some bands and cables in addition to, of course, the core lifts. prioritize them and give them a day by themselves. best of luck

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Shoulders on its own day, And go heavy on the presses.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTHEEND
    hey guys my shoulders r really laging they r too weak relative to other body part. i was thinking of having my shoulder day with legs since i was told leg workouts increase natural test or growth hormones plus i usually eat more on leg days . im on a cutting diet by the by and dont know what to do.. u guys think its a good idea: legs and shoulders
    thanx

Now by laggung you mean the side or all the above. Heavy wide grip uprights heavy side lats and for the front deep dips

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    It will be hard to gain size in your shoulders while you are on a cutting diet.

LM1332 Guest
    ye but he can get streingt anywho. I incorporate shoulders with my arms but if you are lagging behind i would recommend doing it on its own and then legs so that your shoulders would have enough time to rest before chest or bi workout

THANX for all the responses guys so ill be doing shoulders on a day by them selves from now on and see how it goes. how many excercizes do u guys recommend i am doing 4 excersizes now 3 sets each is that enough or too much this dose not include traps which i do on back day. this will be my new split please give me some input:
    sat: back traps and cardio 30min
    sun: chest and cardio 30 min
    mon: off
    tuesday: shoulders and cardio 30 min
    wed : cardio only 40 min
    thursday: bis and tris
    fri : cardio only 40 min

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Make sure you keep continuous tension when you train delts. Don't lock out and keep pushing them. Delts are such a highly oxidative muscle group (predominantly slow-twitch) that they need to be punished or they will just blow you off... you recruit them a lot during a normal day.

One thing you can do after some good heavy front presses (keeping continuous tension) is some lateral static holds. Grab a pair of dumbells and pull them up to your side doing a proper side lateral (up till your arms are about parallel to the deck and your thumbs start to point down to the floor - like your pouring milk) - and hold it. You'll start shaking as your body looks for ways to recruit more muscle fibers and distort your form... fight this. Keep your form rigid and hold up to 20-30 seconds per set. Once you can do more than that - increase the resistance.

The reason I say lateral static holds versus doing static holds on the Front Press is because your delts will be warmed up and the blood will be localized to move on to something requiring a bit more from you. So you start with a traditional Front Press routine then move on to lateral static holds. And the medial delts tend to need more attention than the anterior heads...

Static contractions are very effective. You have three types of muscular failure - in order of failure are:

Concentric - you can't lift the weight any more...
    Static - you can't hold it anymore...
    Eccentric - you can't stop it from lowering...

Many programs are designed around concentric failure. Some more advanced often do eccentric failure. But many never train static failure, which can help a lot when training for mass and strength - it is very demanding and good for those bodyparts needing a bit more of a pump... like Delts.

Another option that I like for Delts is a Holistic-style Delt day - that really gets you sore...

Last thing - you can superset rear delt flye static holds with the lateral statics... or work rear/posterior delts with back and focus only on the front and anterior heads on "Delt day"... just don't forget the posterior delts for uniform development - your body wants symetry.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTHEEND
    THANX for all the responses guys so ill be doing shoulders on a day by them selves from now on and see how it goes. how many excercizes do u guys recommend i am doing 4 excersizes now 3 sets each is that enough or too much this dose not include traps which i do on back day. this will be my new split please give me some input:
    sat: back traps and cardio 30min
    sun: chest and cardio 30 min
    mon: off
    tuesday: shoulders and cardio 30 min
    wed : cardio only 40 min
    thursday: bis and tris
    fri : cardio only 40 min
    You should stop thinking in terms of days of the week but rather training days. If this is your routine than I would change it to this:

Day 1: back traps and cardio 30min
    Day 2: chest and cardio 30 min
    Day 3: off
    Day 4: shoulders and cardio 30 min
    Day 5: cardio only 40 min
    Day 6: bis and tris
    Day 7: cardio only 40 min

The reason for this type of training thought is to keep your program easier to adhere to and allow for outside influences. What happens if your gym closes for repairs on Monday? Or on Wedensday you have to go watch your sister's kids? Or you are simply feeling sick/overtrained on Saturday? Are you going to skip that bodypart the next day? That's where these "Chest-on-Monday-Back-on-Friday" type routines fail. By thinking in terms of training days you can miss a workout and just pick up where you were the next day... whatever the reason...

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    Definitely make it a priority, and train it by itself on the 1st day of the week that you lift. Train heavy and dont overtrain like some of the other bros said. This should solve your problems.

thanx a lot guys this is great i appreciate all the input
    thanx again

Thread Information