Matrix78 is offline Associate Member

is there a basic list of things to do for bulking

ok so i'm going to start bulking up here since I weigh all of 140lbs
    i've been going to the gym for about 3yrs now during most of this time was to lose weight, i use to be around 170lbs and mostly fat, so most of the time i never really focused on doing a set routine it was always cardio and then move from machine to machine just to work out the muscles

well not i'm fairly lean just have fat around the gut and just about no where else and i want to get into a set routine and build up lots of musle and bulk up in size and quality weight. for the first time i'm getting myself onto a stict diet that i'm current buliding disigned for bulking now i need to know what to really do at the gym.

i know the differnt exercises and such at least most of them som one here i've never heard of, but any way i just dont know how to combine them into to a solid regiment, I work out 5 days a week now usualy free weights, as i try to stay a way from the machins now but i still use a few, and on the 2 off days i plan on doing cardio. so if i could be pointed in the direction for some basics or someone could post up a typical 5 day routine that i could adapt to that would be great

thanx for your help in advance

decadbal is offline Banned
    core lifts.. barbell bench, deads(dont go all the way down, just below the knees) squats and MP presses. more wt, less reps, less exercises. take a good 2 min between sets

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Like Deca said stick with compound lifts for some heavy stress. However, you may need to just stay focused using basic exercises with cable movements &db until you get somewhat more comfortable and muscle strength. Using machines may of helped but it sounds like you just went through it just to do it. In addition the compound movements can injure yourself if you are not strong enough and have bad form. Doing deads or squats will cause more harm than good if you do not know how to properly execute them. Perhaps you should hire or get some one on one personal training to get you started. Drop the cardio altogether and use those days for rest. There is a short window of opportunity to nourish your body post workout so it is emparative to have a shake or something after. Otherwise the time lifting will be all in vain. This is paramount to your success and I am not talking about eating a tootsie roll and twinky. Good job on the fat loss now comes the fun part, good luck
    Last edited by bluethunder; 12-04-2004 at 03:35 PM.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    I would recommend everything bluethunder said. Cut your cardio for now-- Get your nutritional plan in check- If its good enough you want need to do cardio for the time being, as you are trying to bulk. If you dont know the correct form for compound movements, you definitely need to get a trainer or workout partner with a number of yrs experience.

thanx for this info guys... i do have my post work out shakes all set protein and dextros just picked all that up today never knew it had to be taken so soon afterwads to be affective up untill a few days ago. i'm getting my meals in check, just blew $200 at Sams Club on lots of bulk foods, and by reading on diets and such it doent look like that stuff will even last a month may two weeks at best time to start saving money just to buy food
    i'm comfortable doing things with dumb bells and barbells flat incline decline iver doen it all and the like i have been doing them the fist half of this year till i was requiered to take some time off, i did get up to some pretty decent weight (at least i considered it good weight for me.. 65lb dumb bell press's on an incline) with i have done quats before but not recently, and i've never done a dead lift and i'm looking around trying to find a few examples so i can put it to use

any more info would be great

thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    core lifts.. barbell bench, deads(dont go all the way down, just below the knees) squats and MP presses. more wt, less reps, less exercises. take a good 2 min between sets
    ok i just want to get this clear bak say 2 years ago when i was trying to build a little streagth and tone a lil i was trying to do thins like 3 sets of 12 reps with moderate weight... how far should i take it down as far as reps and sets, do i go for the heaviest i can do 2 or 3 solid reps on?

jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    4-6 reps..if you can do more..raise the weight.

just one set?

take bi's for a sec here, i can curl a 40lbs dumbbell 3 or 4 time them my arm is kaput, so i drop it down to 25's and 30's cause i can do 8 - 10 3 tims in a row... so that is ALL wrong.. i should go right for that 40lb'r do it say 4 times get it all wasted then when say i can do 6 reps with the 40 move up some more and just completly forget about this 10 to 12 rep junk i've been doing? or do 4 reps with the 40lbs then next week grab the 45lbs say and do 4 reps and so on till i can lift the weight at all?

so what a really need to do is go find my breaking point a weight that i just can not curl at all and work my way down then strart woking my way up from there... so if i can say do 6 reps with a 45lb'r next time i should at least try 4 reps with the 50's kinda like that and then jsut adapt this to all the other muscle groups?

why the hell didnt I come in here a LONG time ago and get this sh@t straight.... probably cause i was goign to FitnessUSA and believing the crap the "so cald trainers" were babbling

se11 is offline Associate Member
    more weight and less reps for bulking? is that true?

thats what i'm taking from this

Thread Information