carbs-rule is offline Associate Member

food before cardio/lifting

I have read numerous people indicate that eating a low GI carb such as oatmeal 60-90 minutes before lifting will not matter, as it takes a lot longer for the body to digest it and be able to use the carbs. If this is the case, why do cardio on an empty stomach, or why not eat some oats when you wake up and then do cardio immediately following? It seems like the advice is trying to have it both ways.

I eat oats about an hour before lifting in the morning. I've read that the body will burn carbs at a faster rate when it needs energy badly, such as when lifting. I've also read that the first meal after a fasted state is burned up pretty quickly. I don't think I have ever tried lifting without carbs beforehand. Anyone try it both ways for an extended period of time? I guess this really should only be asked to those who lift in the morning, shortly after they wake up and prior to any cardio.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    It's different. Eating directly before cardio makes no sense to me. You're going to use the fuel in your stomach before you tap into your stored fat for energy.

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=145057

That post doesn't answer any of my questions.

My bad:
    http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=112053
    http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=143553
    (Discusses Pre-WO Nutrition)

Also, you don't want to eat ANYTHING before cardio... as I posted above, you will use the food in your stomach for energy, and not your stored fat...

Additionally, you should split up your cardio and weights... http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=143608

Sorry bro, I'm still unsure on what exactly your question is?? It's Sunday, and I'm a lil slow today...

Those posts kind of answered the question, particularly the second link...
    "Pre- and post-exercise nutrition is critical if one wants to maximize the anabolic effects of exercise. The pre-exercise meal should be high in a quickly digestible protein. This will ensure high delivery of amino acids to the muscle tissue. Carbohydrates can also be taken in to minimize glycogen loss and suppress catabolic hormones. Fat should be avoided pre-exercise unless the exercise is for endurance."

The research cited in this article deals with a preworkout drink with simple carbs. But here is the crux of what I am getting at. I've read posts indicating that low GI carbs take a few hours to digest and be used for energy. Therefore, they are said to be useless to take Pre-workout if you lift in the morning. However, if they take so long to digest and be useable for energy, what difference would it make if you ate them right before cardio?

I wake up at 5am, and eat something at 5:30 (approximately 2/3 cup oats and 40 grams of some type of protein). I am lifting in the the gym by 6:30 a.m. If these carbs take so long to digest, are they having any positive impact on my workout? If you say no, b/c it takes around 3-4 hours for those oats to digest and be used for energy, then what would be the difference between me doing my cardio at 6:30 (after eating the oats at 5:30) as opposed to on an empty stomach.

There is a logic problem with some of the advice I have read on the forums. I am leaning in the direction that the low GI carbs are digested at a much faster rate when you first wake up, making them good to eat before lifting.

The simple answer, is that doing cardio, with the food in your stomach, will hinder your fatloss. I know what you're saying about them being slow digestive, but, your body will burn that before using your stored fat... (where cardio is concerned)...

That's why it's suggested that you split your weights and cardio up... (as shown in the link)....

There's nothing wrong with inegsting the carbs PreWO, but, doing cardio afterwards is where you run into problems.... you should still ingest a PWO shake, so doing cardio directly after is bad.... (The PWO is generally a fast-acting carb like Dextrose, mixed with whey)...

Am I missing something? I feel I am...
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 02-13-2005 at 07:18 PM.

I realize I'm not explaining this well. I'm not doing cardio and weights together. Here is what I am saying. Some say eat a P/F meal before lifting (as opposed to P/C), because any low GI carbs you eat will take 3-4 hours to digest and be useable for energy. Therefore, eating low GI carbs an hour to 90 minutes before lifting will not help.

But, we also say that cardio should be done on an empty stomach to burn fat. If it takes 3-4 hours to burn oats for energy, then what difference would they make if we ate them right before we did cardio?

The logic problem is that some say don't eat low GI carbs pre-cardio because you use them instead of bodyfat as energy , but avoid low-GI carbs before lifting because they won't have enough time to digest and be useable as energy.

This only goes against the logic of those who say P/F is good for pre-wo, it is consistent with those who say P/C is good, which I think you are saying anyway. I'm mostly asking those who reccomend P/F pre-workout.

I'll leave it to the diet guru's then... I'm sure they'll be along soon ...

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have been in complete ketosi(less than 5 carbs a day, if that) and lifted weights in the morning and still gained a few pounds of muscle over the course of a 3 months or so.

However, i still carb up just in case. Suposeddly glycogen fuels strong muscle contractions better than triglicerides.

I recently posted in the diet forum about this.

I don't think I am going to get an answer for this question directly, its tough to word right and I can't think of a decent analogy. I'll put up this scenario, and if people can answer it and give a reason why they gave their answer, it will help. Here is the scenario:

You wake up at 6am. You eat breakfast, shower, watch 20 minutes of news, and go to the gym to lift (no cardio). You are in the gym, ready to lift by 7:15. Which of these meals would you eat for breakfast, and why?
    a. P/C (low GI)
    b. P/C (High GI)
    c. P/F
    d. P/F/C

Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    I don't think I am going to get an answer for this question directly, its tough to word right and I can't think of a decent analogy. I'll put up this scenario, and if people can answer it and give a reason why they gave their answer, it will help. Here is the scenario:

You wake up at 6am. You eat breakfast, shower, watch 20 minutes of news, and go to the gym to lift (no cardio). You are in the gym, ready to lift by 7:15. Which of these meals would you eat for breakfast, and why?
    a. P/C (low GI)
    b. P/C (High GI)
    c. P/F
    d. P/F/C
    LOW GI Pre W/O, HIGH GI PWO

Rock88 is offline Junior Member

Red face

[QUOTE=Blown_SC]The simple answer, is that doing cardio, with the food in your stomach, will hinder your fatloss.QUOTE]

Morning cardio before you eat is the best. Glycogen levels are low, making fat the primary source of energy.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    IMO, have a protein shake with water 45-60mins before lifting, to help glycogen.

Thread Information