ajew is offline New Member

abs take forever to form.

I'm finding that my fat really low etc but still I work so hard on abs and geting nothing. I be sore for weeks. Is it one of the hardest muscles to master or is situps not enough.

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Sit ups, crunches, leg raises, obliques. I find abs need a lot of volume to build, but once they are there it doenst take much to maintain them.

to make them really show I've always done consecutive exercises, maybe 4 or 5 ab exercises in a row...then a 45 second rest....and repeat. I believe this is the best way...

V5RED is offline Associate Member
    my issue is that abs are boring as fvck to train

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by V5RED
    lol so true

Alex2 is offline Senior Member
    I found doing four reps of Hanging Leg Raises and Kneeling Cable Crunches three times weekly very effective.

I agree training abs is very boring and not easy to get but once you get them, you'll rock

znak is offline Senior Member
    Abs are all a matter of body fat. Low body fat = great abs.

Look at my atavar. Those are abs at 12% bf.

I work my abs for 30 minutes twice a week. 10 minutes of sit ups on an incline, inverted sit up hanging with "antigravity boots", pulley crunches, etc.

The only exercise I do everytime is ten minutes of sit ups in some form.

lawrence069 is offline New Member
    I've been reading Shawn Phillips book called "ABSolution". His big rule is to slow it down. He does 15 reps in the amount of time some do 50. He has each situp taking 6 sec. 2 sec to crunch, 2 to hold position, 2 back to start. I was doing situps and not really feeling much of a burn until I get close to 100, doing it this way I start feeling the burn after 5. He does 3 ab exercises one for each region 3 set, 15 reps each. Hi also has many exersies that his the 3 regions so you don't have to do the same exersice each time.

His web page is http://www.bestabs.com/

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajew
    I'm finding that my fat really low etc but still I work so hard on abs and geting nothing. I be sore for weeks. Is it one of the hardest muscles to master or is situps not enough.
    I be wondering what is your body fat?
    No sit ups are not enough.
    To get nice abs you have to hit them from all angles. Throw downs are good for hitting the lower abs for me. Crunches really kill the top I do them on the decline bench. Medicine Balls are good if you can get ahold of one. You lay on your back and and hold the medicine ball with your feet and raise your legs and hold for as long as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence069
    I've been reading Shawn Phillips book called "ABSolution". His big rule is to slow it down. He does 15 reps in the amount of time some do 50. He has each situp taking 6 sec. 2 sec to crunch, 2 to hold position, 2 back to start. I was doing situps and not really feeling much of a burn until I get close to 100, doing it this way I start feeling the burn after 5. He does 3 ab exercises one for each region 3 set, 15 reps each. Hi also has many exersies that his the 3 regions so you don't have to do the same exersice each time.

His web page is http://www.bestabs.com/
    The key is to mix it up. If you do the same thing each time, your body adapts and boom, end of benifit. Gotta keep changing it up. That I why I do the first exercise by time-- fast, slow, to the side, holding, partials, going, going, going past the burn, past pain.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Abs are all a matter of body fat. Low body fat = great abs.

Look at my atavar. Those are abs at 12% bf.

I work my abs for 30 minutes twice a week. 10 minutes of sit ups on an incline, inverted sit up hanging with "antigravity boots", pulley crunches, etc.

The only exercise I do everytime is ten minutes of sit ups in some form.

ugh.

thats too much imo

I am doing abs for 15 mins a day after my w/o. I do 100 slow crunches, obliques via bends with a 25# dumbbell with those ghey twisty rotations in between. If you kill 'em while you are working them and don't pansy up, they will come along. They are just like any other body part. You need to shock 'em to grow 'em after that just fine tune it and sculpt away.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Can someone explain me what "Throwdowns" are???

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i got huge massive gigantic abs
    work them once a week
    3 sets of weighted sit ups on incline REALLY SLOW w/ weight held BEHIND MY HED yes thats right BEHIND omg im INSANE~! and really slow on the let down(eccentric motion) this will tear them to bits.
    just like all other muscles big tear + big rest = big gains then after that, i work my transverse on the stability ball w/ hyperextended crunches for 3x12 and then i work my serratus w/ pull overs. this made my abs HUGE
    so now even at 12-13% bf i can see the outline of my abs but man i look like a buddha w/ a shirt on.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Can someone explain me what "Throwdowns" are???

Probably from his football days where you would have a partner throw your feet down and to the side of your body for you to raise them up again (straigh legs). Kills the abs. You can do them with or without a partner. A partner just adds more weight to them going down.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Like your calves they are a tuff muscle to devope just because you use them all the time. Your abs are used all the time, sitting up from anything, and just holding your posture.

With both I've found you really have to hit them heavy to get them to grow. Keep the wieght under control so you don't blow a nut though. I do sets of 6-8 reps, if I can do 10 I add wieght. Your calves and abs are already adapt to doing high reps all day, so hit them with some wieght and forget the 20 rep sets.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    Probably from his football days where you would have a partner throw your feet down and to the side of your body for you to raise them up again (straigh legs). Kills the abs. You can do them with or without a partner. A partner just adds more weight to them going down.
    Yep it will tear em up.
    Key to great abs is cardio and a good diet. You never know under the fat you might already have some nice abs. I would stay away from the weights untill you can see them. Then build them. You dont want your abs to stick out further than your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i got huge massive gigantic abs
    work them once a week
    3 sets of weighted sit ups on incline REALLY SLOW w/ weight held BEHIND MY HED yes thats right BEHIND omg im INSANE~! and really slow on the let down(eccentric motion) this will tear them to bits.
    just like all other muscles big tear + big rest = big gains then after that, i work my transverse on the stability ball w/ hyperextended crunches for 3x12 and then i work my serratus w/ pull overs. this made my abs HUGE
    so now even at 12-13% bf i can see the outline of my abs but man i look like a buddha w/ a shirt on.

I used to do massively weighted sit ups also. Found that I got a really "boxy" look 'cause my midsection really thicken up.

Agree that it gives you a buddha look.

needbigguns is offline Once Human and Inferior - Now Beast-Like and Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex2
    I found doing four reps of Hanging Leg Raises and Kneeling Cable Crunches three times weekly very effective.

I agree training abs is very boring and not easy to get but once you get them, you'll rock
    Alex2 is that you in your avatar pic ? if so thats a very impressive physique, similar to my ultimate goal body wise.

When you say 4 reps, i take it you mean 4 sets yes ?

zoso428 is offline Associate Member
    has ne1 read that absolution book...is it ne good?

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V5RED
    LOL! Same here!

Thread Information