millionmillionaires is offline Associate Member

7 (myths?) of body building

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100101230/?GT1=6327

Most of their ideas seem pretty legit, and supported w/ good evidence. The reasoning for the first one, that lifting slowly does not work muscles better, is bs though. The only thing their reasoning proves is that if you lift slowly it burns more calories and your workout takes longer to complete. It doesn't disprove the idea that lifting slowly gives better gains.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Super slow training is a waste of time, contrary to what some believe on this forum.

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I think you have their reasoning backwards.

"The faster group burned 71 percent more calories and lifted 250 percent more weight than the superslow lifters."

If anything, it is not reasoning, but results. I think more explosive positive phases work much better, as long as you still perform the movement correctly.

millionmillionaires is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    I think you have their reasoning backwards.

"The faster group burned 71 percent more calories and lifted 250 percent more weight than the superslow lifters."

If anything, it is not reasoning, but results. I think more explosive positive phases work much better, as long as you still perform the movement correctly.
    What they said does damage the validity of lifting slow, but they still didn't disprove the theory that it creates bigger muscles, which is what they were trying to do. But whether or not lifting slow is better doesn't really effect me at this point because i lift at a moderate pace and get good gains, so it's all good either way

cjp85 is offline Member
    I only go slow on negatives. On concentrics I go slow enough to feel the lift.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    I only go slow on negatives. On concentrics I go slow enough to feel the lift.
    thsi was posted somewhere else too. The test they did was too extreme with a 10 second negative and 5 second positive compared to 1-1. I think resistance training 2 postive and 2-3 negative is very effective and i have proven it with my own body. Some peoples bodies respond diferrently to different exercises and techniques.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    thsi was posted somewhere else too. The test they did was too extreme with a 10 second negative and 5 second positive compared to 1-1. I think resistance training 2 postive and 2-3 negative is very effective and i have proven it with my own body. Some peoples bodies respond diferrently to different exercises and techniques.
    Exactly what I was thinking FAT MIKE. way to extreme.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I usually explode on the up phase and take it down slowly. Works well for me. Interesting read though.

Thegr8One is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    I usually explode on the up phase and take it down slowly. Works well for me. Interesting read though.
    yup same here

wired-up is offline Member
    what do you guys think about where they said that, "If you're working out hard, consuming more than 0.9 to 1.25 grams of protein per pound of body weight is a waste. Excess protein breaks down into amino acids and nitrogen, which are either excreted or converted into carbohydrates and stored." considering that most people will recommend 300+ grams of protein to everyone, even it they're 170lbs. according to the article, that person is wasting 87g's of protein a day then.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    I have also seen thoses myths elsewhere, For good muscle defenition and mass you still need good form, i never add any amazing results lifting super slow.

I just do a regular 1 second up and 1 second down, make sure to feel the muscles that i am working and works fine that way.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    good article.

Thread Information