Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member

looking to maybe switchup my back workout

i start out with triangle grip pullups. i use the assist, because i cannot get more than 3-4 reps, and those with bad form if i do. anybody thoughts on whether i should keep up like im doing or try to slowly work up with bodyweight only,getting what i can? heres the workout

pull-ups:4x8-10
    lat pulls: 4x8-10
    cg seated rows:3x10
    deadlifts:3x5-10
    shrugs: 3x 10-15

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    i would say use the assist and try to get 4-6 good reps. also shrugs isnt a workout for ur back, that mostly trains traps. mabey you can add bentover barbell rows instead of that

Jimmya73 is offline Senior Member
    well i do traps on back day, just thought i would include them

Jakspro is offline Member
    Havin a Solid Dead lift works sick things for my back, I'd put that closer to the begining of our workout and super set shrugs with DB shoulder press on shoulder days, IMO

leave dead lifts for last, they force you to use so many different muscles in your body you'd be too fatigued to work at full intensity on other exercises if you did them first...

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    leave dead lifts for last, they force you to use so many different muscles in your body you'd be too fatigued to work at full intensity on other exercises if you did them first...
    Maybe true, but my back grew like mad from it... who knows it might work out for him too

alphaman is offline Member
    I like hammer strength rows, t-bar row(w/ chest support), dumbell rows.

But... Back thickness=deads, back width=chins

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    you should really be doing bent over rows.

i'd say nix the lat pulldowns as there's basically the same movement as pullups, and go to a wide grip on the pullups. the triangle frip has it's place but not as the cornerstone of your back workout.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    you should really be doing bent over rows.

i'd say nix the lat pulldowns as there's basically the same movement as pullups, and go to a wide grip on the pullups. the triangle frip has it's place but not as the cornerstone of your back workout.

I meant to say wide grip chins, but bent overs are risky w/ the back. Thats why I reccomended t-bars w/ chest support.

I agree about the lat pulldowns.

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    heavy rows, chins (or lat pulldown) and deadlift......thats all you need....quit dickin with the seated rows and shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I meant to say wide grip chins, but bent overs are risky w/ the back. Thats why I reccomended t-bars w/ chest support.

I agree about the lat pulldowns.
    if you're worried about that i would use the hammer strength row over the t-bar for mass anyday.

the t-bar hits most people across the upper back more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    if you're worried about that i would use the hammer strength row over the t-bar for mass anyday.

the t-bar hits most people across the upper back more.
    I use the hammer strength rows and t- bars. The t-bar w/ the chest support feels similar to bent over rows, it puts your torso and arms in the same position(wider grip). The hammer strength feels like it hits the outer part or the lat, and the t-bar hits the middle too.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfyEVH
    heavy rows, chins (or lat pulldown) and deadlift......thats all you need....quit dickin with the seated rows and shrugs

exactly! these are by far the best. no point in doing much else, all you will do is slow recovery, and/or begin overtraining! i would just throw bar shrugs and rear delt flyes and there's your back day

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I use the hammer strength rows and t- bars. The t-bar w/ the chest support feels similar to bent over rows, it puts your torso and arms in the same position(wider grip). The hammer strength feels like it hits the outer part or the lat, and the t-bar hits the middle too.
    it feels like a completely different movement to me (more upper back-oriented), but hey we all respond differently.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    chest supported rows are for little boys.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    All you need: Bent over rows, some kind of lat pull down motion (can also be pull ups), and deadlifts...jsut kill it while doing all these exercises and you WILL gain mass

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    ooops, i just realized I pretty much repeated what wolfy said...My bad. BTW, good advice wolfy

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    i believe pullups to be esential for complete lat development. i dont do them every workout, but atleast everyother.

after you fail at about 4 reps have someone help you force at least 6 more- unless you completely fail prior to that point. even better for you would be an assisted pullup machine- (where you stand on the bar). lastly, if you have no one to assist you- do partials.

Thread Information