Changing Your Somatotype?(ecto,meso,etc)

A few years ago I was easily an Ecto weighing in at somewhere around 105lbs...then I had a year when I wasn't allowed to really go out because of two shoulder surgeries, during that time I sat on my ass and drank weight gainer....I got up to 150lbs and all of a sudden I was fat...Now it a lot easier for me to gain fat and after reading this somewhere, I believe I have changed from an ecto to maybe a mesomorph...Is it possible or is what I read bullsh!t?

slopland is offline New Member
    Personally, being a 4 year student in the field, I have no clue what the hell your talking about and furthermore, how tall are you to be weighing 105lbs??? That cant be healthy..

I'm 5"6...and I USED to weigh 105...not anymore. All i'm saying is that could I have changed my body's metabolism or tendency to put on fat easier by gaining all that weight over the course of the year

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Yes I think it possible to change your metabolism. I mean you were inactive for a year what did you expect. Body type? no all genetic

alphaman is offline Member
    If you easily gain fat, that would make you more of an endo, not a meso. Mesomorphs are naturally lean.

Quote Originally Posted by slopland
    Personally, being a 4 year student in the field, I have no clue what the hell your talking about and furthermore, how tall are you to be weighing 105lbs??? That cant be healthy..

Student of what? If you're studying anything fitness related, and you don't know what somatypes are, I wouldn't admit it!

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    If you easily gain fat, that would make you more of an endo, not a meso. Mesomorphs are naturally lean.
    Body type has to do with the shape of your body. Not really if you gain fat but more so where you gain.

I'm a student of Exercise Physiology and will graduate in August w/honors. I retract my statement earlier, we did cover this stuff,which was about 2 years ago, but didnt go much into it since it really isnt something you can alter or help someone overcome in the gym. Its a fact of genetics and really doesn't fall into training protocols, etc. So not much time was spent on this. That time was spent looking at the Krebs Cycle and Glycolysis!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV
    Body type has to do with the shape of your body. Not really if you gain fat but more so where you gain.
    Not true, it deals with both. True, a meso gains fat easier than an ecto, but if you aren't somewhat lean(and muscular, of course), you're not a true mesomorph, you may be an endo-meso(fat and muscular), but not a true meso. Someone can change their apparent bodytype. The most common natural bodytype among pro bb is endo-meso, yet at contest time they are all apparently mesomorphs.

Someone who weighed 105, and got "fat" @ 150 is not a mesomorph. They would have changed their apparent bodytype to an endo-ecto(?). If they gain fat easier now, it could be several things, but the transmogrification into a mesomorph is not one of them.

The Mesomorph Body

The mesomorph has well-defined muscles and large bones. The torso tapers to a relatively narrow and low waist. The bones and muscles of the head are prominent. Features of the face are clearly defined, such as cheek bones and a square, heavy jaw. The face is long and broad, and is cubicle in shape. Arms and legs are developed and even the digits of the hand are muscled.

The ENDOMORPH

The body of the extreme endomorph is round and soft. The physique presents the illusion that much of the mass has been concentrated in the abdominal area. This may or may not be true. The arms and legs of the extreme endomorph are short in length and taper. This may give the appearance of stalkiness. The hands and feet of the endomorph are comparatively small, and the upper arms and thighs are often more developed than the lower parts of the arms or legs. The body has a high waist.

Its a fact of genetics and really doesn't fall into training protocols, etc. So not much time was spent on this.
    Many believe that training should be specific to bodytype and genetics. Ever hear of hardgainer routines and such? Abbreiviated training?

Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV
    A true "natural mesomorph" is extremely rare. I have only known one in my life. This is my friend and old training partner. You know how he got like that? By doing hardly anything! In college, he went to the gym and bech pressed everyday. That's it. We had been working out for a couple months at the time of those pics. His diet consisted of mostly extra value meals and $shit like that.

That $hit is 100% for real.

Deberry
    Last edited by alphaman; 05-20-2005 at 09:40 AM.

Yes, I've heard of it..But the point of my statement was why spend time on something you really cant control? And as far as hardgainers, etc..the basic workout is the same..Hypertrophy=High volume, Strength= Low-Moderate reps, etc. Don't just pick a line completely out of context of the statement and turn it into a question. That would be a never ending cycle here.

Yes, I've heard of it..But the point of my statement was why spend time on something you really cant control? And as far as hardgainers, etc..the basic workout is the same..Hypertrophy=High volume, Strength= Low-Moderate reps, etc. Don't just pick a line completely out of context of the statement and turn it into a question. That would be a never ending cycle here.
    I believe that size comes along with strength and food, and the best way to get big is to get stronger. Your body constantly adapts to the increasing loads(gets bigger). How would you explain the size of most powerlifters? They're def not doing high volume sessions! The only ones that aren't big are that way because they have to eat less to stay in a weight class. Hardgainers that want to get bigger, should use the same type of routine(powerbased) as a normal person, but just more abbrieviated, and lower frequency.

I didn't turn your comment into a question. I simply refuted it. And how did I take it out of context?

I dont see why your trying to convince me of these things. I'm open to proven research and things of that nature conducted by colleagues etc. I've spent the last 4 years getting my degree with classes based in this field so you don't have to attempt to give me a class on things I already know. I know that strength will help you get bigger, but hypertrophy training will also give you size purely by volume and by activating your bodies own HGH..this by using high reps, high set and 75-85% of your 1RM so either strength or hypertrophy will suffice in gaining size..

You took my statement out of context by choosing one line that you can make a statement about but miss the point of the statement which was that your body type is a genetic issue and focusing on it will not help people gain/lose weight but that proper exercise and nutrition will.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Alphaman for VET

Do you really think that people are going to bow down to your opinions because you claim you have a dergree and want to dazzle people by saying, "the only way to lose weight is by way of the krebs cycle"? Get a grip. If you can't handle people disagreeing w/ you maybe you shouldn't post in this board.

Look back to your 1st post in this thread, you look like a pompasass idiot- how could you expect anyone to take what you say as gospel, when you jump out there like "IM A STUDENT IN THE FIELD, AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU"RE TALIKING ABOUT!" , and the topic is something that 99% of this board understands perfectly?

Agian, you're not an expert by any means, so if you can't handle people disagreeing w/ your opinions that you got out of a textbook, or some out of shape prof., GET LOST!

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with b.s. rite?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    in short
    you get fat you grow fat cells ( YOU CAN NEVER GET RID OF THEM) that can be shrunk but never killd... thus once you get new fat cells easier to store/acquire fattyfattness... something along those lines... cant remember the exact physiological aspect of it but so so

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Do you really think that people are going to bow down to your opinions because you claim you have a dergree and want to dazzle people by saying, "the only way to lose weight is by way of the krebs cycle"? Get a grip. If you can't handle people disagreeing w/ you maybe you shouldn't post in this board.

Look back to your 1st post in this thread, you look like a pompasass idiot- how could you expect anyone to take what you say as gospel, when you jump out there like "IM A STUDENT IN THE FIELD, AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU"RE TALIKING ABOUT!" , and the topic is something that 99% of this board understands perfectly?

Agian, you're not an expert by any means, so if you can't handle people disagreeing w/ your opinions that you got out of a textbook, or some out of shape prof., GET LOST!
    be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    ( YOU CAN NEVER GET RID OF THEM)
    its called LIPOSUCTION fat man

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    It's the same affect that parents often inflict upon their children. Over eating causes your fat cells to grow larger and therefore have greater storage potential. You aren't neccesarily changing your metabolism, your simply changing your potential. The cells were smaller before, so it was much harder to overpack them, you could only "fill" them. Now when you fill them, your body is larger because they hold more fat. My .02 cents

I thought once people hit a certain age you can not gain fat cells, you can only expand them and shrink them...

Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    I thought once people hit a certain age you can not gain fat cells, you can only expand them and shrink them...
    Like I said...

Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    They used to think this, but they've since discovered otherwise....

About 3/4 down the page under "all the wrong places"

http://www.healthnnutrition.co.in/di...res_standard44

Dam, learn something new everyday

decadbal is offline Banned
    wow..rampant retardation..hahaha

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I believe that size comes along with strength and food, and the best way to get big is to get stronger. Your body constantly adapts to the increasing loads(gets bigger). How would you explain the size of most powerlifters? They're def not doing high volume sessions! The only ones that aren't big are that way because they have to eat less to stay in a weight class. Hardgainers that want to get bigger, should use the same type of routine(powerbased) as a normal person, but just more abbrieviated, and lower frequency.

I didn't turn your comment into a question. I simply refuted it. And how did I take it out of context?
    yup yup

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I dont see why your trying to convince me of these things. I'm open to proven research and things of that nature conducted by colleagues etc. I've spent the last 4 years getting my degree with classes based in this field so you don't have to attempt to give me a class on things I already know. I know that strength will help you get bigger, but hypertrophy training will also give you size purely by volume and by activating your bodies own HGH..this by using high reps, high set and 75-85% of your 1RM so either strength or hypertrophy will suffice in gaining size..

You took my statement out of context by choosing one line that you can make a statement about but miss the point of the statement which was that your body type is a genetic issue and focusing on it will not help people gain/lose weight but that proper exercise and nutrition will.
    sorry bro, but im calling bullshit on "volume" "high rep" "hypertrophy training". I personally see no reason to adapt by getting larger while doing high sets with medium intensity. and no, its not possible to use max intensity in a high volume workout.

Syndicate is offline Associate Member
    transmogrification
    Is that for sale?

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i believe you can become endo if you **** with your thyroid...

Thread Information