Thread: Zottman curls

JNel04 is offline Associate Member

Zottman curls

do any of you guys do these...if so are they worth it? also i went to a site to see how this exercise was performed and the pics werent too good so if someone wouldnt mind explaining how to do them or refer me to a website that shows how to do them.

Darkness is offline Member
    These are just reverse hand curls (palms facing down). Pretty good for forearms.

Kreatine_Kid is offline Junior Member
    I Though Zottman curls were a normal bicep curl up and then after the squeeze, reverse the palms so the face away from you then lower slowly?

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreatine_Kid
    I Though Zottman curls were a normal bicep curl up and then after the squeeze, reverse the palms so the face away from you then lower slowly?
    that is correct... I personally don't like these and rather go with hammer's or reverse curls. It's just too taxing on my wrist.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i have done them before and it does put some stress on the wrists for me at least

Zottmann curls are like regular hammer curls only you lift the db across the front of your body towards the opposite shoulder. I dont know what all this twisting talk is about, theres no twisting involved.

WTF, wait a minute, just looked up Zottmann curls, I guess I'm wrong. It is a partial forearm exercise. Damn, this guy taught me wrong then

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    Taken from a lifting website:

"You curl the dumbells up as you would doing a normal bicep curl. At the top, the dumbells are turned so that the palm is now facing away from the body and the dumbells are lowered in a reverse curl fashion. As with all curling exercises, keep the upper arm still."

It's not really clear in which direction you rotate your wrist but I assume you would rotate it away from the body. Doing this would contract your bicep a lot and help form that peak more...

Arnold recommended doing a similiar exersise which involved rotating the wrist a lot. He claimed that the bicep is involved in controling the movement of the wrist and that by twisting your wrist, you were making the bicep work much harder.

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    I've been doing Zottman's for quite awhile now and I love them. I drop the weight about 5-10 lbs. from normal and do them seated, both arm together. Try them at the end of your set, the pump is incredible and you will notice a difference.

That's a good idea, to turn your wrist. But I'll just stick to hammers and reverse curls cuz of all the wrist stress from zottmans.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Thread Information