Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

Calves and Abs everyday?

Hey everyone, I'm bulking right now and my weakest points are my calves and abs. I'm pretty sure I'm fine with doing abs everyday, but I wasn't sure about calves. I run 4 days a week for 20 minutes and have a pretty intense leg day. However, my calves are just a little bit to small. I have been doing barbell calf raises, db calf raises, and then calf raises on this machine where you extend your feet, almost like a reverse calf raise. Anyways, I do 3 sets of 20. Is it okay to finish each workout with this if my diet is proper? Should I cut it back to 3 days a week? I am not getting sore or feeling any pain. As always, input is appreciated.

MASTERDBOL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    Hey everyone, I'm bulking right now and my weakest points are my calves and abs. I'm pretty sure I'm fine with doing abs everyday, but I wasn't sure about calves. I run 4 days a week for 20 minutes and have a pretty intense leg day. However, my calves are just a little bit to small. I have been doing barbell calf raises, db calf raises, and then calf raises on this machine where you extend your feet, almost like a reverse calf raise. Anyways, I do 3 sets of 20. Is it okay to finish each workout with this if my diet is proper? Should I cut it back to 3 days a week? I am not getting sore or feeling any pain. As always, input is appreciated.
    i never recommend doing abs everyday. they need time to recover like any other muscle group. every other day is fine. calves should be worked about every 3-4 days. that is what has worked for me anyway.

if you are bulking....then why are you running so much. that will hinder bulking, and expend more calories that you need to bulk.

if you do not have soreness after a calf workout, you are not working them intensely enough. calves work all day long, and need to be abused and trained very heavy on those days you work them out. this is my calf routine:

standing calf raises - 3x12-15 heavy as possible to fail between those reps.
    calf presses on leg press machine - 3x10-12
    seated calf raises - 3x15

each excercise should also have a good warmup set.

Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member
    I run just for overall health. It's only 2 miles at 5mph. I am still getting 5k cal/450+pro/450+ carbs so I don't think I'm over doing it. I guess I'll step up the ab workouts intensity and go M/W/F and kill my calves on M/F. Thanks for the advice!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    i agree with the above. I wouldn't do abs everyday, let them recover, you'll see better results. I think swole recommended doing calves 3 times a week somewhere.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    I'd never work the same mucles everyday, at least give them a day rest at the very least, but I'd say 2 days rest and then go back at it.

nalbano34 is offline Member
    that is to much for ANY muscle group....less and more intense wins every time!

redmango is offline Junior Member
    This is the only ab workout i have done that has shown to be effective when doing abs multiple days in a row.
    mon - 3-4 sets of misc weight resisted ab lifts, about 8 reps each, no more than 10.
    tues - at least 15 minutes of weightless abs. very high reps. little rest between sets
    thurs - same as monday
    Fri - same as tuesday

a lot of guys dont like this ab workout, but its been pretty effective for me.

Thread Information