Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Is it possible to build a good set of abs without doing any direct ab work?

Let's say you had a good diet, did cardio, got a goodnight sleep every night, etc. but did no direct ab work. However, you really went hard and heavy on squats and deadlifts. Could you still get a good set of abs?

Basically what I'm asking is, will doing JUST squats and deadlifts build your abs up?

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    abs are muscles just like legs and back. they need to be worked too but a lot of excersizes hit abs indirectly... i don't think you can "build up" a nice six pack by just doing squats and deads though, maybe if you already had something there and then lost the fat you could maintain whatcha got... i'd still work them though. i wouldn't neglect any muscle completely, whether you hate it or whether it's your best feature....JMO

Flexor is offline Banned
    Pullups use the abs in stabilisation also, and I've found they can make my abs ache if I haven't been doing ab work regularly. Abs are only small muscles and as such they take a lot of work to develop the full shape. However, its mostly down to bodyfat to get the abs to show, its just a case of whether or not you want the 3D rounded shape to each ab by doing specific abdominal workouts.

transform is offline Associate Member
    i think if you want a really great set of abs you should work your abs directly. i have a friend who is very lean (about 7% bodyfat) and has an excellent build.he doesnt train his abs directly and, despite the fact his abs do look good, they still dont look up to the 'standard' of the rest of his upper body

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Look at my avatar... no ab routiene here...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn

Let's say you had a good diet, did cardio, got a goodnight sleep every night, etc. but did no direct ab work. However, you really went hard and heavy on squats and deadlifts. Could you still get a good set of abs?

Basically what I'm asking is, will doing JUST squats and deadlifts build your abs up?
    review my sig... i do abs once or twice per week during my contest prep...and that's only to kill time til it's time to pose for my coach.

My abs were built on indirect work from squats deads pressdowns...over head presses... etc.

My coach once saw me doing incline situps and told me to stop wastin gmy time...and go home and eat

So i did.

Thread Information