Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member

Cool Question on chet worklkout with dumbels

Hope everyone is doing well. My questions concerns a chest work out with dumbels. Doing regular excersices like incline decline and flat dumbell presses i was wondering if it is beter to twist them on the way up. For example your doing incline presses. You start with your palms facing away from you. Instaed of just pushing straight up and banging the weights at your peak, how about as your pushing up you twist the wieghts so that at the top of your peak your palms are (if not) almost facing you. How about that same motion for inlcine decline and flat.??? I tried it out last week, but on delcines and inclines i had to drop weight. but it felt Freakn good. and i was sore as hell the next day!

What do you guys/girls think?

DARKKNGIHT

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    , how about as your pushing up you twist the wieghts so that at the top of your peak your palms are (if not) almost facing you.

Meant to say

how about as your pushing up you twist the wieghts so that at the top of your peak your palms are (if not facing you) almost facing you.

murph is offline Member
    I've seen this before,....i think its good for the center part of the chest,....I've also seen ppl do them where you twist away sorta, so you palms are facing away from you at the end........

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I usually will twist on the lower weight sets but once i get heavy I just go normal.

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    I used to use the twist all the time when doing dumbells, and much like Diesel I love an all dumbell chest workout on occasion. I find that lately I have been twisting on my first few sets,but I dont feel comfortable doing it on my heavier sets. I was brought up to believe that twisting in was used as more of a shaping tool for the pecs.

jamotech is offline Member

I prefer to "do the twist" with incline or flat bench flys. If you twist while you press it turns it into more of a fly past midpoint, I think twisting goes better with the range of motion of a fly. Start at top with palms facing you and gradually end at the bottom the same as you would with a regular fly. I think this is a good move to do slow with max concentration for awesome muscle stimulation.

Remember to twist and flex hard at the top. I try to split it up between twisting and not, save it for a little extra shock.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I don't believe in clanging the dumbbells together at the top. What you have there is a skeletal support point in the movement. The driving muscles are not doing anything at all. I prefer to not even go to lockout, and to keep the weights far enough apart that I feel my biceps working just the teeniest bit to hold the forearm in toward center. Ideally, the hands and weights should always remain directly over the elbow or just SLIGHTLY outward, and the elbows should never go completely straight. Just my opinion. But I can use less weight (safer) and have more complete pec activation that way. I always try to avoid all skeletal support points. I never go all the way down with laterals or curls... I never lockout doing squats. I never go all the way up doing flys. That skeletal support gives you a REST, actually 7-10 rests, typically, during your set. Keeping the muscle under tension I think is safer and more effective. Poundage goes down, of course, but the goal, for most of us is not the numbers on the dumbbell, but the numbers on the tape measure, and what we see in the mirror.

Just my very very humble opinion.
    Okay I go away now.

jamotech is offline Member

clanging

Ive heard from many that clanging at the top can cause damage to your body. I guess its from the shock that is sent through your arm when the dumbells clang. Those guys that "clang" piss me of so much, but if they want to attract attention like that, thats ok. It does take a pretty tuff guy to clang those barbells at the top, maybe someday ill be able to. LOL

str8flexed is offline New Member
    I bring the dumbbells toghether at the top to get a full contraction and greater fiber stimulation. I also find it very effective to lower the dumbbells all the way down to close to my chest and use about a 6 second negative. Here is an all dumbbell routine that I wrote that worked very very well for me. www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne5.htm
    Peace

Thread Information