Tommy Gunn is offline Member

SwoleCat could you please help me out with this?

What's up Swole? I was just wondering, I asked this question a few weeks back but I never got your expert opinion on this.
    When using the long hooked bar, what is the best grip to use when doing wide grip lat pulldowns?

Do you grip your hands all the way to the end of the bar where there is no space between your hands and the end of the bar? Or do you grip your hands where there is a little space between your hands and the end of the bar? Or what about gripping the bar right where the bar curves?

Your the man Swole, you tell me, what is the best grip to use when doing wide grip lat pulldowns?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Well I no I’m not swole but I’m going it give this one a go any way if you don’t mind bro... lol

I don’t think there is one best grip, it’s making the most of all grips angels. Both wide and narrow variations of the lat pulldown are effective in developing the lats. As a rule, using a combination of these movements will result in optimal lat development. It also is important to remember that you can't isolate the lats. Using either movement will only help to shift the emphasis to one part or the other, but the entire lat (as well as many synergistic muscles) will be active throughout the exercise.

Close grip pulldowns target the lower region of your lats. The lower lat fibers are basically straight up and down, running virtually parallel with the body. Thus, using a close grip keeps the line of pull in conjunction with the lower fibers.
    Wide grip pulldowns, on the other hand, are best for targeting the upper portion of your lats. The upper lat fibers run in an oblique fashion, fanning out at a sharp angle. Avoid using a hand spacing that's significantly past shoulder length, though. There are diminishing returns to performing pulldowns with an extremely wide grip. What's more, range of motion is restricted, resulting in reduced muscular development.

I also think its a good idea to keep the forearm flexor muscles, biceps, brachialis, and brachioradialis, out of the movement as much as possible

Well that’s just so info for to keep you going until swole gets here......
    Last edited by S.P.G; 12-05-2005 at 09:29 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good explanation SPG. I need to do a slightly wider grip I think...
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-05-2005 at 11:43 AM.

So you're saying that doing wide grip lat pulldowns with TOO wide a grip is no good?

What is a good grip to use when doing wide grip lat pulldowns? What about spacing your hands where there is a little space between your hands and the end of the bar?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    So you're saying that doing wide grip lat pulldowns with TOO wide a grip is no good?

What is a good grip to use when doing wide grip lat pulldowns? What about spacing your hands where there is a little space between your hands and the end of the bar?
    An inch or two makes no difference! Just take a wide grip with say an inch or less to spare at the sides. With a really wide grip with your hands off the bar, I'm sure its not too clever for the shoulders, just stick to a wide grip that the pulldown thing is designed for.

Unless you have an enormous frame and a huge arm span, in which case go as wide as possible, otherwise no.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Your the man Swole, you tell me, what is the best grip to use when doing wide grip lat pulldowns?
    There is no "one" best grip for full development. A wide, medium, close grip are all beneficial and should be utilized somehow for complete growth.

~SC~

Thanks Swole.

Cool article by the way.

Dalton5 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks Swole.

Cool article by the way.

Very funny Dalton. Very funny.

Dalton5 is offline Associate Member
    Very funny Dalton. Very funny.
    haha im just being a dick man.....dont get bent outta shape.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton5
    lol i think your right...... swole said what i said but i dont get any thanks.

J/K bro....

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Must be a new client huh?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Thanks Swole.

Cool article by the way.
    Thanks!
    ~SC~

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    No offense Swole its obvious you know your stuff from your advice and pics, and congrats on the celeb client. We have no idea how long you've been training him, where his starting point was, or what his goals are. I was just kidding.

M.

S.P.G, my bad bro.

Sorry, thanks to you as well.

Thread Information