Thread: Leg Routines

UofMiami is offline Banned

Leg Routines

I am gonna start really getting serious about my leg routines. Anybody got a good workout to start out with? I'd love to hear Zapp's leg routine if you come around to seeing this thread.

Flexor is offline Banned
    You missed the sticky right at the top of the forum...look there for leg size...

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=193804

You will be able to tell that SwoleCat's leg workout is one of the best around when you feel like chucking during/afterwards the session. Oh and the incredible maming ache will give it away as well

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Swolecat's leg workout is hard to beat.... but it's always nice to be able to switch it up after a while....

any other favorite leg workouts out there?

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UofMiami
    I am gonna start really getting serious about my leg routines. Anybody got a good workout to start out with? I'd love to hear Zapp's leg routine if you come around to seeing this thread.
    My leg routine is pretty basic: I like to keep it simple:

Squats...7 sets. (2 being warm up)
    Leg Press.....4 sets
    Leg Extentions....8 sets. (last 3 being single leg)
    Leg Curls...5 sets
    Stiff Legged Dead Lifts...4 sets

Flexor is offline Banned
    If I'm not doing SC's I'm doing something like this. In brackets is what I sometimes leave out.

Squats x 4
    Short lunges x 2 for quads
    Deep long lunges x 2 for glutes
    (Leg extensions x 2)
    SLDL x 4
    (Ham curls x 3)

Thanks guys, I've got those copied down for my use later.

When you're doing squats (or any of the exercises for that matter) do you generally use a 2 sec up 3 sec down pace? If not, what pace should I be aiming for?

Thanks

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    Thanks guys, I've got those copied down for my use later.

When you're doing squats (or any of the exercises for that matter) do you generally use a 2 sec up 3 sec down pace? If not, what pace should I be aiming for?

Thanks
    Hey. Sometimes I do only one second up, say for incline supinating db curls and underhand chins for biceps. But most of the time I always raise slower for at least 2 seconds. I usually do 3 seconds eccentric lowering, but when I exaggerate it, its four seconds. For squats I lift in 2 seconds and lower in 3.

What you already suggested is a good cadence, switch it about every 6 weeks for max results.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Sorry, duplicate post.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-27-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: duplicate

chest6 is offline Banned
    I have never really done lunges before I incorporated them a few weeks ago. I have found the lunges I have been doing, deep lunges that are taken out in longer stride, really make the outer quadrant of my glutes very sore. I think I may start out with a few sets of short stride lunges to really stimulate the quads as a mass builder, as I do not have a legitimate quad mass builder in my routine as of now. How do you feel short stride lunges work for quad mass flexor?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I have never really done lunges before I incorporated them a few weeks ago. I have found the lunges I have been doing, deep lunges that are taken out in longer stride, really make the outer quadrant of my glutes very sore. I think I may start out with a few sets of short stride lunges to really stimulate the quads as a mass builder, as I do not have a legitimate quad mass builder in my routine as of now. How do you feel short stride lunges work for quad mass flexor?
    You've got it nailed. Shallow (and short stride) lunges will work your quads excellently. Deep (and long stride) will hit your glutes fantastically! and your quads well but not as good.

Incorporate the short stride ones, you'll love them. They are perhaps secondary to squats, but they offer something different and are an excellent replacement/combination

chest6 is offline Banned
    This coming Friday I'll have to do something more like this
    Squats: 4 sets
    Short stride lunges: 3 sets
    Long stride lunges: 3 sets
    Leg ext (here most likely): 3 sets
    SLDL: 4 sets
    Leg curls: 3 sets

This doesn't seem to overkill to me. Seems as though leg curls and more-so leg ext are used more as a sculpting exercise than a staple mass building exercise like the rest are.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    This coming Friday I'll have to do something more like this
    Squats: 4 sets
    Short stride lunges: 3 sets
    Long stride lunges: 3 sets
    Leg ext (here most likely): 3 sets
    SLDL: 4 sets
    Leg curls: 3 sets

This doesn't seem to overkill to me. Seems as though leg curls and more-so leg ext are used more as a sculpting exercise than a staple mass building exercise like the rest are.
    Good routine. It should kill you!! It kills me at least. Yeah leg curls are not that good for hamstrings, but they are the only useful exercise for hitting the short hams. Leg extensions can help as they are open chain as opposed to closed chain squats, neural activation patterns are different so it helps to vary. But you are right, those exercises are not mass builders they are isolations, but they are good to keep the nervous system guessing. Also you may want to do some light knee extensions to warm up before you perform heavy squats, as SC's leg routine suggests.

Open chain exercises are where you overcome the resistance of the weight by moving the distal (furthest) component of your bodypart.

Closed chain exercises are where you do not overcome the resistance of the weight, instead you apply a force to the ground which lifts the weight. The weight itself does not move. In this case the proximal (closest) joint component moves. Pullups are closed chain and pulldows are open chain, just as an examle.

However such things are rarely that simple. Some exercises exhibit both open and closed chain aspects, don't worry too much about it. It was dreamt up back in 1957, and although still relevant, it must be taken in context.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-27-2005 at 07:47 PM.

I've never really done any lunges before.... I'm gonna go google around to get a feel for them.

But a quick question: when doing lunges do you generally stay "in place" or do you "walk" around? cause I can kinda picture them executed either way.

That's worded a little weird, but maybe it makes sense.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    I've never really done any lunges before.... I'm gonna go google around to get a feel for them.

But a quick question: when doing lunges do you generally stay "in place" or do you "walk" around? cause I can kinda picture them executed either way.

That's worded a little weird, but maybe it makes sense.
    It makes a lot of sense. You can do walking lunges, where you walk in a straight line, doing a lunge on one side then the other. Or you do it on the spot and step backwards each time. The walking ones are good for getting a rhythm and a shorter rest between sets.

Thread Information