Montgomery is offline Associate Member

targeting weak points - outer bicep

Hey guys, I'd like to improve my outer bicep. By this I mean the part that is visible in a rear double bicep pose. My inner bicep has more roundness and definition, and bulges out to the side more, whereas my outer bicep seems to run flat down the side of my arm when I flex it. I think I need to take a narrower grip on a barbell curl to target outer bi's, is that correct? Are there any other tips for this?

Thanks bro's,

Montgomery

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    You're correct!And I have the same issue.You can bring the outer head up some.Takes time,but it's a genetic thing as well.

~Pinnacle~

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    yes a wider grip will bring out the outer head of the bicep. do just the opposite for the inner side. one other great finishing exercise is the bent over db curl. that really develops nice peaks, its done alot for me.

pilipo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1
    yes a wider grip will bring out the outer head of the bicep. do just the opposite for the inner side. one other great finishing exercise is the bent over db curl. that really develops nice peaks, its done alot for me.
    i think your confused wider grip will work inner bi. narrow grip will work the outer part more

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilipo
    i think your confused wider grip will work inner bi. narrow grip will work the outer part more
    Yeah he is..........

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    try doing reverse curls. that will help

Montgomery is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    try doing reverse curls. that will help
    reverse curls (holding dumbell palms down) will put emphasis on outer bi? Didn't know that.

Montgomery

Flexor is offline Banned
    Don't bother trying to change the emphasis on the straight bar curl. If you want your long head to improve, compound exercises that will help are overhand close grip chins, close grip overhand bent over rows, db rows. Isolations that will help are hammers, reverse preachers are great, reverse ez-bar curls etc.

Changing your hand position on the straight bar does not make enough of a difference, and you will put even more pressure on your wrists. Do exercises specifically designed to put the medial head at a disadvantage, like the ones I described.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery
    reverse curls (holding dumbell palms down) will put emphasis on outer bi? Didn't know that.

Montgomery
    It only works the outer bicep harder because the inner bicep is disadvantaged. The exercise in itself is not the reason it works the outer bicep harder.

Thread Information