speedtraining is offline Senior Member

Smith Machine Squats

does any one feel that they can beter target there legs doing squats on the smith machine, 1 because its ten times more safe, and two because its easier to focus on the legs because you are locked in one position through out the movement hense no leaning or swaying because the stablizer muscles are not being used? Curious to hear...

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    i may be wrong on this but i have read stories of people getting squished by the bar because they couldnt twist the bar in the lock position and getting stuck with 400lb or so on them.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtraining
    does any one feel that they can beter target there legs doing squats on the smith machine, 1 because its ten times more safe, and two because its easier to focus on the legs because you are locked in one position through out the movement hense no leaning or swaying because the stablizer muscles are not being used? Curious to hear...
    It's actually not safer than free weight becasue the restrictive range can put you lifting massive weights at an unnatural/akward angle. If foot position is incorrect, and you shift the load at the wrong angle, it can put force against your knee cap and cause the maniscus to basically lift out of place - generally the cause of the well-known clicking sound some of us have in out knee(s). It doesn't work all the stabilizers and hence they do not get adequate stimulation for growth... which can lead to problems when returning to heavy free weights or even day-to-day routine...

Free weights, Smith has limited use for the big dudes...

MAXIMA5 is offline Anabolic Member
    I swear by Smith Machine squats, ever since my knee surgeries.

Regular squats kill my knees and back, and you need a spotter. With the smith machine, I set the guard, so there is no chance of sropping the weight and a spotter is not needed, but helps on the last few reps. I extend my feet further in front than on a usual squat and use a more narrow stance. My legs grew nearly 2 inches when I started doing squats this way, and that was before AAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    It's actually not safer than free weight becasue the restrictive range can put you lifting massive weights at an unnatural/akward angle. If foot position is incorrect, and you shift the load at the wrong angle, it can put force against your knee cap and cause the maniscus to basically lift out of place - generally the cause of the well-known clicking sound some of us have in out knee(s). It doesn't work all the stabilizers and hence they do not get adequate stimulation for growth... which can lead to problems when returning to heavy free weights or even day-to-day routine...

Free weights, Smith has limited use for the big dudes...
    Lots of D1 programs for football that I know have not used squat at all anymore due to how dangerious it is....I thought it would work well for what I want: I can get my footplacement where I want it and i'm looking do to slow controlled reps on there to isolate...I will letyou know how it works I dont plan to remove anything from my regeme just throw that in to see what it does...I did squats my whole life till my back wasn't having it i'm just looking for the similar motion, not trying to really load on weight just real slow sets to fire them boys up.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMA5
    I swear by Smith Machine squats, ever since my knee surgeries.

Regular squats kill my knees and back, and you need a spotter. With the smith machine, I set the guard, so there is no chance of sropping the weight and a spotter is not needed, but helps on the last few reps. I extend my feet further in front than on a usual squat and use a more narrow stance. My legs grew nearly 2 inches when I started doing squats this way, and that was before AAS.
    Me and a few other people I have met attribute that stance to our knee problems today... I read something (I believe by Poliquin) that explained how that stance pushes the maniscus outward while force is applied downward...

Could be something related to body structure - but ever since I stopped doing those on the Smith my knee has been feeling a lot better. I used to go really close and pretty far forward. Today, I use a Hammer Hack Squat... with feet in a more natural position - but still close and a bit forward... but not like I used to do with the Smith.

That may work for you, but traditional squats kill me. It may be a personal comfort/confindence thing.

I don;t have much miniscus left in my right knee, and my surgeon specificaly told me to avoid regular squats. He told me to do nautilus machines, leg press, or if I was hell bent on doing squats to do them in the Smith machine. It may have been because of the type of surgery, and amount of miniscus damage prior to surgery. He may have recommended the smith machine mainly for the fact that ther was no risk of having the weight compress the joint if the weight dropped.

Have you had any past knee injuries or anything, Warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMA5
    Have you had any past knee injuries or anything, Warrior?
    About 3 years ago when I was training in Vegas I had an audible pop in my knees (right one in particular). Then it was like a crackling noise everytime I went up stairs and such. It would crackle, snap and click. I layed off legs for a few months then started back up with some extensions... then got tired of waiting and started to do some Hammer Hack Squats - then like a miracle, I heard a loud snap and the clicking subsided from that moment on. It was like that movement put my knee back together. Not sure how. I did some reading and found that the close foot stance put forward of the body can push out the maniscus leading to the pain I was getting. I wish I could find that info today for ya...

It still acts up every now and then (recently the right knee got a little tender while doing a lot of cardio on a stationary bike - but that cleared up after a week or so...) but I have not used the Smith for Hack Squats and the severe issue I had in Nevada hasn't come back... 3 years and counting... (knock on wood)...

I used to do A LOT of running in the Marines too. Up hills, wind sprints, pick-ups, long distance - and that could have set the stage for those couple of painful months that happened less than a year after I was discharged...

Yeah you probably turned your masincus into pulp in the marines. If you ever find that article let me know.

i like the hack squat but the gym i'm currently at does not have one...i like the differnt angels, from various exercises.

spyderUSMC is offline Junior Member
    On the same note, I just had knee surgery. The doc gave the o.k. to get back in the gym, but cautioned against squats as my injury was to the back of the knee cap. Anyone had experience with this and will hacks put the same stress on the cap or should I stick with presses?

Grizzly420 is offline Associate Member
    I feel i can better target my glutes also i dont ever roll up on my toes and can always push through my heels

xmenWolverine is offline Junior Member
    Squats are the best builder for the body and prehaps the toughest thats why people tend not to squat or use a smith machine.

The weight you squat on a smith machine put it on a free weight bar and try to squat it. I bet a months wages you find it hard.
    With free weights your stabilizers have to work and so does the lower back. you feel that with free weights you have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by xmenWolverine
    Squats are the best builder for the body and prehaps the toughest thats why people tend not to squat or use a smith machine.

The weight you squat on a smith machine put it on a free weight bar and try to squat it. I bet a months wages you find it hard.
    With free weights your stabilizers have to work and so does the lower back. you feel that with free weights you have worked out.
    True. Obvously free weights are going to feel heavier. Some of us with rebuilt/reconstructed joints prefer the Smith machine for safetly reasons. I just throw about 25% more weight on the Smith than I would use on freeweights.

xmenWolverine is offline Junior Member
    maxima5 as you know with squatting if you have knee problems then using a smith machine defently is the safer option. Hope you look after those knees.

Anyone else get squatting and don't neglect the legs as this will help you grow overall.

Thread Information