d2000honda is offline Associate Member

muscle tone and strength.

light wheights will tones your muscles and heavy weights will give u strength. is this right? If I just want to tome my body how can I doit. thanks

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Diet.

1buffsob

so a diet will tone muscle with out working out.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    I hope chest6 sees this thread bwahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by d2000honda
    No. But regardless of going high rep/ low weight, or moderate rep/ mod-high weight, the defining factor will always be diet when it come to 'toning'.

Smart ass

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    No. But regardless of going high rep/ low weight, or moderate rep/ mod-high weight, the defining factor will always be diet when it come to 'toning'.

Smart ass

1buffsob

if you explain your self better then people would understand what you're talking about. I cant read your mind. but thanks anyways

I never called you no names but if you called me smartass, i say better then being a dumb ass.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    kyle how did you ever get your sesame street degree?? no one can understand you wit yo big werds

here this is how its done:

Heavy weights for strength
    Heavy weights for "tone"
    Diet is for strength
    Diet is for "tone"

I assumed that you being a member here asking about cycles, diets, and workouts (besides your 130 sex posts in the Lounge), that you'd have some basic knowledge of bodybuilding knowing that muscle development is impossible without anaerobic exercise. Apparently I was wrong, given the question..

That was a mistake on my part. From here on out, I will never make the mistake of assuming you know anything about bodybuilding.

1buffsob

Quote Originally Posted by Myka
    kyle how did you ever get your sesame street degree?? no one can understand you wit yo big werds

here this is how its done:

Heavy weights for strength
    Heavy weights for "tone"
    Diet is for strength
    Diet is for "tone"
    I went to the Elmo prep school for 4 years, before going to the Snuffalufagous School of 'bigg werds'. I'm about to recieve my masters.

1buffsob

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    lets play nicely and answer the question.

if you are wanting to tone,use this rule of thumb,dont lift anything that makes you do less than 10 reps,anywhere between 10-20 reps for toning muscle,get your diet sorted and you will see results.

barbndr is offline Junior Member
    I think the problem is semantics. Most people say "I just want to tone up, not get big" or "I want to get strong..." or "I want 21" guns..." etc...

Take a 200lb dude who trains well, eats well and rests well.

If this guy upped his cardio and cut some calories but did nothing else someone might say he "toned up". That's BS. He lost fat...revealing muscularity that was hidden by the fat.

If this guy started powerlifting or emphasized strength training and increased his calories, he'd probably see a strength gain through muscle hypertrophy and neuro-physiological adaptation.

To actually aswer your question honda, if its a more defined look you want, it will be achieved through increased cardio and diet modification (providing you have your training in line).

If you want more strength, then exercise selection and rep range will play more of a part (strength rep rage generally less than 8 though this is very controvesial and often argued)

Quote Originally Posted by barbndr
    I think the problem is semantics. Most people say "I just want to tone up, not get big" or "I want to get strong..." or "I want 21" guns..." etc...

Take a 200lb dude who trains well, eats well and rests well.

If this guy upped his cardio and cut some calories but did nothing else someone might say he "toned up". That's BS. He lost fat...revealing muscularity that was hidden by the fat.

If this guy started powerlifting or emphasized strength training and increased his calories, he'd probably see a strength gain through muscle hypertrophy and neuro-physiological adaptation.

To actually aswer your question honda, if its a more defined look you want, it will be achieved through increased cardio and diet modification (providing you have your training in line).

If you want more strength, then exercise selection and rep range will play more of a part (strength rep rage generally less than 8 though this is very controvesial and often argued)

jesus my dad said to me the other day,"son what weights should i do to tone up,i dont want to get too big like arnie",i just sighed.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Please get the word "Tone" out of your vocabulary. It is a useless word. No such thing as "toning" to me. You can gain muscle with a good bulking diet and intense training as long as you dont overtrain and have ample sets and intensity for hypertrophy. Notice I did not mention the word "tone" anywhere in there. Tone is a word obese people use and its just a horrible word. Also a word girls use..and its useless. You get TONE by eating clean and being at a low bodyfat. You cant be 20% bodyfat and just try to get "tone" all the sudden. Diet and cardio to get bf down.
    Last edited by chest6; 04-28-2006 at 10:21 PM.

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Please get the word "Tone" out of your vocabulary. It is a useless word. No such thing as "toning" to me. You can gain muscle with a good bulking diet and intense training as long as you dont overtrain and have ample sets and intensity for hypertrophy. Notice I did not mention the word "tone" anywhere in there. Tone is a word obese people use and its just a horrible word. Also a word girls use..and its useless. You get TONE by eating clen and being at a low bodyfat. You cant be 20% bodyfat and just try to get "tone" all the sudden. Diet and cardio to get bf down.
    True. Toning implies changing shape of muscles which is impossible, that is genetics. You can harden a muscle.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    You can soften muscle too!

Did you see that post with the BIG girl in it asking if you'd do her for $$$ ???

That is a perfect example of softening muscle!

(Sorry, this has no relevance to this thread - just needed to laugh)

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Chest you better watch your Tone.

~Old

If you want specifics...muscle tone is used frequently in the medical profession dealing specifically with the musculoskeletal (obviously) and neurological system.

Muscle tone defined: a muscle's ability to respond to stretch

This is our protective mechanism and controls a muscles response to a stimuli (falling, quick stretch etc...) and is basically what supports our body continuously. A healthy muscle is never truly at rest, there is always an inherent tone present. If ever a muscle was completely at rest (flaccid), there would be a good chance of joint damage due to laxity.

Different types of neurological disorders affect tone. For example a person with parkinsons to put it simply would be hypertonic (too much tone). They have rigid muscles resistant to movement.

A person with a spinal cord injury can go either way (hyper or hypotonic, or flaccid) depending on the injury.

My point is that there is "tone", but not in the sense most people use it.

s@@t everyones going politically correct around here.

couldn't resist...
    Last edited by barbndr; 05-01-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Thread Information